Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 08:07 AM

707 posts, read 1,845,081 times

Advertisements

...in the country. I feel so badly for the people STANDING out in the blazing 103 degree sun. No seats, no shade. Some of the VIA stops I see don't even have a SIDEWALK to lead to them. That's not very safe!

How hard would it be to put a bench and a simple awning? I'm not talking anything fancy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 08:53 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
You have a Great Point. I feel for those that have to sit out there also. VIA can certainally afford a cover of some sort.

I know this may sound crazy but those that travel routes without shade should complain and threaten to stop riding the bus. Maybe we should call for them instead.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:08 AM

284 posts, read 1,086,956 times
A few months ago in my neighborhood, seating was added to the bus stops. There are at least eight stops along the main street and all have seats now. I don't know if this was an isolated improvement or if there are plans to do this elsewhere.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:20 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
The bustops in my neighborhood either dont have seating or just a small bench with no shade. I feel exceptionally bad for people who have small kids with them. The other day we were on SE Military and noticed how really nice the bustops were there. They have decent size overhead shades and plenty of seating and it was a night they actually had good lighting. They should make all the bustops like that, also creates a really nice sense of uniformity.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:18 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
The stops in our neighborhood have been improving of late with benches and covered, some very decorative. However, that was in response to a local effort to improve them (i.e. initiated by the people here, not VIA or the city).

Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM

707 posts, read 1,845,081 times
When I drive down Braun Rd. there are stops in the grass, with no sidewalk leading to them, some without a stoplight near so they can cross to the other side. And the road barely has a shoulder.

I'm glad some neighborhoods are trying to fix this. Maybe I will send an e-mail to VIA.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:29 PM

759 posts, read 3,688,652 times
I totally agree- they need shade at least!!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 10:32 PM

324 posts, read 1,308,227 times
they are bad - and what is worse is using VIA in a wheelchair. Over half the stops have no sidewalk at all, or even worse no on/off ramps to get to the stop. There are times I have to get off nearly a mile away from where I'm going because that is the closest stop that is accessible.

But on the other hand I'm thankful to have VIA at all - we could have no public transit!

Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The stops in our neighborhood have been improving of late with benches and covered, some very decorative. However, that was in response to a local effort to improve them (i.e. initiated by the people here, not VIA or the city).
...but the stops on S Presa (bordering Lavaca) look like hell. No shade...one bench with garbage strewn about. If this is "improving", I'd hate to see what they were like beforehand. Yikes. That area is still a long, loooong ways away.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:07 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
dakotamidnight- Are you able to use VIA Trans?. I have heard positives and negatives about them from several people. You should not have to get off early since your bus stop is not in the correct repair. Have you contacted VIA?

My wife has a Sister who has diabetes and spends most of her time in a Wheel Chair. She has a car and is still able to drive but she has a hard time getting into it, then someone has to be with her to load / unload the chair. I wish she had one of those lifts. I know this is only her comment but she became upset the first time she used VIA Trans. We told her that their pickup and dropp off is curb to curb. On that day when they brought her home she became upset since the Driver would not push her up the steep driveway. I explained to her that the Driver is risking injury and that the other passengers cannot be let alone. She has an electric wheelchair that looks as new as the day she got it. Her grandchildren have played with it more than she has used it. MediCare or MedicCaid paid for the thing and it should have gone to someone more needy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio