U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 AM

11 posts, read 28,808 times
Default Need Info on Canyon Shadow Neighborhood

Hello All,

I have been lurking on here for awhile awaiting our transfer back to Texas. There is so much good information on this site. Thanks to all who have posted. We will be moving to the Thousand Oaks/Scattered Oaks area. Specifically Canyon Shadow on July 1st. Any info on this area would be greatly appreciated. I have researched the basics like schools etc.. I grew up in Lubbock/Dallas and have been living in New Jersey working in Manhattan for the past 3+ yrs. We are so looking forward to getting back to the State and People we love!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeff
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:54 AM

4,263 posts, read 6,940,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4christ View Post
Hello All,

I have been lurking on here for awhile awaiting our transfer back to Texas. There is so much good information on this site. Thanks to all who have posted. We will be moving to the Thousand Oaks/Scattered Oaks area. Specifically Canyon Shadow on July 1st. Any info on this area would be greatly appreciated. I have researched the basics like schools etc.. I grew up in Lubbock/Dallas and have been living in New Jersey working in Manhattan for the past 3+ yrs. We are so looking forward to getting back to the State and People we love!!!!!!!!!!!!

jeff
Thank god you're getting out of Jersey. Grew up shuffling between Jersey and NYC..moved to SoCal and never looked back. Welcome back.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:41 PM

288 posts, read 578,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4christ View Post
Hello All,

jeff
I grew up at Thousand Oaks and Jones Maltsberger. Is it in the same area as you? I'm not sure where Scattered Oaks is???

Old 06-05-2009, 05:15 AM

11 posts, read 28,808 times
Yes that is the area. According to google maps "scattered oaks" is just north of there and SE of "thousand oaks". We are kinda in between those two off Rough oaks st.

Thanks

Old 06-06-2009, 12:09 AM

288 posts, read 578,098 times
I googled it, duh, I could have done that yesterday! I lived right there in that area for 16 years. I lived off of Bulverde Road. When I lived over in that area I hated the NW side of town. I thought it was so far from everything, and it annoyed me to go over there. Now, I look back at your area and it seems foreign to me. I think at one time that area was the up and coming area as far as schools were concerned. I went to Redland Oaks the first year it opened, then Driscoll, then, because I would have gone to MacArthur, my parents sent me to private school. I did try Mac for a few weeks, but it wasn't my cup of tea. I did love my private school though! Anyhow, the area closest to you with grocery shopping is probably the HEB at 281/1604. Your main thoroughfare, according to Google, is Henderson Pass. Henderson Pass connects to Gold Canyon and within a 1/2 mile of their intersection is anything you could need! Michael's, Office Max, HEB, Ross, Academy, Marshall's, Best Buy, etc...There are close restaurants nearby also...Pei Wei, Red Robbin, Zios, Chuy's, La Madeleine, Chili's. There are many great churches in your area as well. The closest is Community Bible, then down 1604 is Cornerstone. Of course, there are many smaller churches as well.

As far as crime goes, I know it has gone up somewhat since I left that area. It had an extremely low crime rate in the early 90's, but I don't know how it compares now. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:23 AM

1,131 posts, read 787,588 times
In terms of crime, these area is labeled NORTH by the SAPD. NORTH includes this area as well as all the northeast side within the city limits.

In 2008 the crime compared to 2007 was down. Eight of the ten categories for Violent crime were down.

Those being:

Agg assault
Agg family violence
sexual assault
assault
murder
deadly conduct
family violence
manslaughter

Murders: down 43%

Again, those numbers take into account a very large area that also includes the neighbors this thread is discussing. The areas being discussed here are very safe with very low crime rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio