U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 10:00 AM

808 posts, read 3,271,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
UTSA is going to C-USA which is a decent conference.
At the current time, C-USA has 12 member schools and is not looking to expand. While that may change in the future (due to teams potentially leaving), C-USA will be first looking to find suitable replacements for these teams. C-USA is not interested in being a proving ground for a new program. UCF had to prove itself in the MAC before it made the move to C-USA.

It would be much more likely that C-USA would take a team like Troy or UNT before it takes a UTSA or South Alabama (another school starting up football at the same time). S. Alabama is aiming for the Sun Belt, which is where UTSA should aim as well.

For more information on C-USA, please direct your attention to this message board: NCAAbbs - CUSA Conference Talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 02:03 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,353,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
At the current time, C-USA has 12 member schools and is not looking to expand. While that may change in the future (due to teams potentially leaving), C-USA will be first looking to find suitable replacements for these teams. C-USA is not interested in being a proving ground for a new program. UCF had to prove itself in the MAC before it made the move to C-USA.

It would be much more likely that C-USA would take a team like Troy or UNT before it takes a UTSA or South Alabama (another school starting up football at the same time). S. Alabama is aiming for the Sun Belt, which is where UTSA should aim as well.

For more information on C-USA, please direct your attention to this message board: NCAAbbs - CUSA Conference Talk
UTSA is budgeting its athletics program to appropriately fit into C-USA (higher budget than some, lower than others). Nobody believes they will make C-USA before 2016. There are no contracts so of course it is not a guaranteed thing, C-USA just seems the most likely. We haven't even hired a coach yet, but will do so in February.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 24,185 times
SA deserves a team badly. Wheather an expansion team or relocation. In 209 or 2010.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,710,408 times
Just to set the record straight UTSA will be included in the Southland Conference as far as football goes untill they are accepted in a bid from more than likely the C-USA which will take time, and there is no way of saying it will be in 4 years, or 10. I can tell you one thing for sure is that, like another thread in here has posted, Larry Coker the former Miami Hurricanes head coach, and National Championship leader has expressed his desire to coach UTSA......there is a foot to the mouth for any of you who think UTSA will not progress rapidly. A man like him at the wheel can do miracles, and UTSA could get a bid to a Bowl Conference faster than expected. The thing I will agree with is that UTSA is not, and will not be comparable to anything the likes of A&M, UT, Tech, etc....for decades, and I mean many. I see the UTSA program following a fast track to the status of the likes of teams such as Florida Atlantic, Florida International, Southern Florida, Central Florida, and other "newer" and rapidly growing schools. Yea, many may not see that as all that great, but I would LOVE to see a team of that calibur in San Antonio, and I personally am a NCAA fan, not an NFL fan.

On the other hand as far as the NFL is concerned I see no problem with our city hosting both NCAA, and NFL teams. San Antonio is 2nd in line after LA, and LA contrary to some beliefs because of history is interested in hosting a team now. Like someone said before though NFL teams either relocate, or come in 2's. As far as the Alamodome is concerned with NFL I think you guys can go ahead and scratch that theory OUT! The NFL isn't going to accept that no good facility, and even if San Antonio decided to "renovate" it it would cost more than it's worth just the get it up to par with the current "new" standards expected by the NFL. As far as taxes go, I couldn't care less, I will pay more taxes for progression in "atheletics" on any level in our city. Spending on an NFL team, or stadium couldn't be much worse than 90% of the idiotic things our wastefull local government spends on already.

The only other markets that are in the running currently for an NFL team would be LA, Salt Lake City, and Portland realistically, and from what I hear Portland is not interested in football, but rather MLB. Salt Lake would probably give SA a go for it, and has more money in the area, but San Antonio stacks up far better in the numbers game.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 PM

155 posts, read 329,264 times
Jerry would never let it happen. It would be bad for the city anyway; let some other idiots (like Arlington) pay the extortion fee the NFL demands.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:33 PM

155 posts, read 329,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
I couldn't agree more. This city has no claim to a Dallas team, we need our own. The fact that the "fans" are so rabid is merely a result of no local option. Unless you're from Dallas, don't be so overzealous. Longhorn and Cowboy t-shirt fans, I can't stand 'em. Unless you or an immediate family member is from Dallas or went to the 40 acres, give it up, they're not "your" team.
What about Plano residents? Are they tshirt fans? Technically, the Cowboys are Irving's team. Does this mean Dallas residents are the tshirt fans? Next year when the Cowboys move to Arlington, will Irving residents be relegated to tshirt status? What about folks from rural West Texas? If you're from Plainview, are you not allowed to pull for an NFL team until Plainview lures a team to the panhandle?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 PM

342 posts, read 611,586 times
san antonio needs a nfl team bad, i love the idea. san antonio doesnt have a college team nor baseball, the spurs are a success. so why not throw them a bone it will be more revenue for the city and state.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:19 AM

2,559 posts, read 5,259,737 times
Quote:
This is Mister's point. A professional team draws from the metro's population, not the city limits. The city limits of a city rarely depicts the full metro population. SA is probably one of the closest out there. For example, Houston has 2.5 mil or so in the city but close to 6 mil in the metro, big difference.

I agree that SA deserves a team more than Jacksonville, but hey, they went out and tried to take one from another city on more than one occasion. I haven't seen SA do that yet. Sure, SA would take one if a team wanted to move, but SA needs to steal one like Nashville, Baltimore, Phoenix, etc.

When did Houston gain 300,000 residents? The city is 2.2 million.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:03 AM

689 posts, read 1,121,728 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. This city has no claim to a Dallas team, we need our own. The fact that the "fans" are so rabid is merely a result of no local option. Unless you're from Dallas, don't be so overzealous. Longhorn and Cowboy t-shirt fans, I can't stand 'em. Unless you or an immediate family member is from Dallas or went to the 40 acres, give it up, they're not "your" team.

Double amen!! I too am tired of hearing Cowboys this and Cowboys that, especially worse because they're "America's Team". Same thing with the Longhorns. We are and have been a big enough city to have our own NFL and College Football team. I sure hope that when UTSA begins play that I don't hear anymore about the damn Longhorns but something tells me that we still will just because of habit and long tradition. I don't want UTSA to be treated like a "Trinity" (no offense to anyone that goes there but you get the point). Hopefully people and the media around town can realize that UTSA would be the big time and give them as much coverage as possible because that will really be our college team.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:19 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,710,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
What about Plano residents? Are they tshirt fans? Technically, the Cowboys are Irving's team. Does this mean Dallas residents are the tshirt fans? Next year when the Cowboys move to Arlington, will Irving residents be relegated to tshirt status? What about folks from rural West Texas? If you're from Plainview, are you not allowed to pull for an NFL team until Plainview lures a team to the panhandle?
It's pretty obvious that the post you quoted was not talking about those in the DFW area.....but I guess some people need it spelled out.... I agree with him 100% also, seems like your one of those who would like to see everyone on the Cowboy bandwaggon...lol...same goes for any other team including the Spurs, Longhorns, Aggies, Red Raiders, Sooners, etc.... Seems like there are too many of these not so loyal "fair weather" t-shirt fans. Kinda lame if you ask me. Oh, btw...if you'll notice this thread is posted in the "San Antonio" forum (Where you are at) if your talkin' about Plano you may wanna mosey on over to the Dallas, or Fort Worth area threads.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio