U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM
 
3,154 posts, read 5,192,271 times
Reputation: 1770

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
Actually though I do hope an owner or some other business consortium puts together the funding for a new stadium here. It would speed things up and there would be no need for any referendums on tax increases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
And still the Alamodome sits empty. Wasn't that thing built to attract an NFL team?

I agree it would be a good thing for the city IF it didn't cost us an arm and a leg to do it - a business consortium or an owner building a stadium would be great.

I'm not anti-football; I'm anti-raising taxes.
I remember the campaign to build the Alamodome very well. The pitch was that if The citizens of San Antonio agreed to build a suitable facility, San Antonio would be a shoo-in to snag one of the 1994 NFL expansion teams. In response to questions about why private funding couldn't be used to build the stadium, we were told San Antonio, unlike many other large cities, didn't have a corporate base with deep enough pockets to fund such a venture. (So tell me again, why would San Antonio be such a shoo-in?)

So here we are twenty years later, still without an NFL franchise. Without a regular tenant, the operating costs for the Alamodome have to be subsidized by the taxpayers. By today's standards, the facility would be considered marginal for the home of an NFL team.

But for a relocated team or startup in a small market like San Antonio, wouldn't the Alamodome be a pretty decent facility for at least the first few years? Do all communities to which NFL franchises are awarded have brand new state-of-the-art facilities ready to go on day one? Look at the Dallas Cowboys, they just retired a thirty-eight-year-old venue for a new one that is air-conditioned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2009, 01:42 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,314 posts, read 2,779,232 times
Reputation: 842
If anyone doubts San Antonio could support an NFL team and wouldn't shift their allegiance to the local team, just look at how this city support the Saints when they played here after hurricane Katrina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DManXXXII View Post
It's sad, how the SPURS got into the NBA, otherwise, San Antonio would never had a professional sport franchise.
Why is it sad? It was one of the four strongest teams in the ABA and thus the reason they were invited to join the NBA when the ABA was dissolved. It's not like it wasn't deserved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Headline:SPURS WANT CITY TO GIVE THEM 50M FOR NEW HOCKEY PRACTICE FACILITY.
A couple of fact corrections:

1. They asked for $10 million, and only $4 million of that is for the hockey facility.
2. The money is from the county, not the city.

(Spurs get OK for ice rink (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Spurs_get_OK_for_ice_rink.html - broken link))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 02:21 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,893 posts, read 4,876,129 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
If anyone doubts San Antonio could support an NFL team and wouldn't shift their allegiance to the local team, just look at how this city support the Saints when they played here after hurricane Katrina.



Why is it sad? It was one of the four strongest teams in the ABA and thus the reason they were invited to join the NBA when the ABA was dissolved. It's not like it wasn't deserved.



A couple of fact corrections:

1. They asked for $10 million, and only $4 million of that is for the hockey facility.
2. The money is from the county, not the city.

(Spurs get OK for ice rink (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Spurs_get_OK_for_ice_rink.html - broken link))
I stand corrected but if somebody wants to start an NFL team let them do it with their own money. Let them take up collections from all these folks who are willing to shell out money for a football team. Let the fans support it. Not the taxpayers. I'm sick up and fed with all of these rich entrepreneurs with their hands in my pockets. I could care less about a NFL team or hockey rink for a basket ball team why should I be forced to pay for it. Other business plans have to make it on their own merit. No profit, no more business. If it was such a great idea their would be investors coming out of the woodwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 02:24 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,260 posts, read 4,952,846 times
Reputation: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I stand corrected but if somebody wants to start an NFL team let them do it with their own money. Let them take up collections from all these folks who are willing to shell out money for a football team. Let the fans support it. Not the taxpayers. I'm sick up and fed with all of these rich entrepreneurs with their hands in my pockets. I could care less about a NFL team or hockey rink for a basket ball team why should I be forced to pay for it. Other business plans have to make it on their own merit. No profit, no more business. If it was such a great idea their would be investors coming out of the woodwork.
Right there with you, Bob. I feel exactly the same way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 03:36 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,822 posts, read 33,216,324 times
Reputation: 13610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
if somebody wants to start an NFL team let them do it with their own money. Let them take up collections from all these folks who are willing to shell out money for a football team. Let the fans support it. Not the taxpayers. I'm sick up and fed with all of these rich entrepreneurs with their hands in my pockets. I could care less about a NFL team or hockey rink for a basket ball team why should I be forced to pay for it. Other business plans have to make it on their own merit. No profit, no more business. If it was such a great idea their would be investors coming out of the woodwork.
You're absolutely right, but what you're describing is not how it's done anymore. The leagues pit cities against each other, so that they'll compete to be the place that ponies up the most money. The argument will be that if San Antonio taxpayers don't cough up this money or agree to build a shiny new facility that the team will go to City X. That's why taxpayers should dig their heels in and squawk any time there is talk of bringing another major league sports team to town. Let the other cities this one!

If San Antonio grows enough to be a Top 25 media market, it will have some leverage to resist the demands to build a facility. Right now, it's market # 37. No sports leagues have 37 teams, so San Antonio must still compete against the other larger markets that don't have teams. The best thing to do is just sit back a decade or so and wait for that media market ranking to increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Reputation: 41769
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Seriously, its a big city and could draw in crowds from South Texas and Central Texas. Especially if the team had a spanish sounding name. In fact it could take away a large chunk of the cowboys fan base.
my opinion and that is all it is, probably also not worth much: NO, there are a few other places that should and will be next. Maybe 10 years from now and the name does not need to be Spanish. In fact I think that would be a big mistake. Look at all the hell that was raised over some of the colleges with names that were not P,C, do you think giving a team a spanish name would be PC?


Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 04:06 PM
 
441 posts, read 794,095 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
You're absolutely right, but what you're describing is not how it's done anymore. The leagues pit cities against each other, so that they'll compete to be the place that ponies up the most money. The argument will be that if San Antonio taxpayers don't cough up this money or agree to build a shiny new facility that the team will go to City X. That's why taxpayers should dig their heels in and squawk any time there is talk of bringing another major league sports team to town. Let the other cities this one!

If San Antonio grows enough to be a Top 25 media market, it will have some leverage to resist the demands to build a facility. Right now, it's market # 37. No sports leagues have 37 teams, so San Antonio must still compete against the other larger markets that don't have teams. The best thing to do is just sit back a decade or so and wait for that media market ranking to increase.
Ummm, Green Bay#70 is smaller than SA. I know there's other cities smaller than SA but I am to lazy to point them out to you. However, I posted a link for you to review.

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,714,440 times
Reputation: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Ummm, Green Bay#70 is smaller than SA. I know there's other cities smaller than SA but I am to lazy to point them out to you. However, I posted a link for you to review.

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)
Buffalo #50 Football
Jacksonville #47 Football
Memphis #48 Basketball
Oklahoma City #45 Basketball
New Orleans #53 Football

I didn't include hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,822 posts, read 33,216,324 times
Reputation: 13610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Ummm, Green Bay#70 is smaller than SA. I know there's other cities smaller than SA but I am to lazy to point them out to you. However, I posted a link for you to review.

DMA Rankings - US TV Households by Market (http://www.tvb.org/rcentral/markettrack/us_hh_by_dma.asp - broken link)
Green Bay would never get a team today. The only reason GB has a team is that the team has had public ownership dating back to when Woodrow Wilson was in the White House. As long as there's an NFL and a football stadium there, there will be a team in Green Bay.

My counter-argument to your Green Bay is Los Angeles! DMA Number 2!

I think the rest of your point assumes I was saying DMA #37 is too small to get a team. I didn't say that SA is too small, just that it's too small to think it can come to the table without money when asking for a team. (How much money have the taxpayers of Jacksonville and Buffalo ponied up?) I'm also saying that there are similarly sized media markets that also don't have a team (every market in the top 50?) and will be put in contention with SA for a major league sports team if one is made available.

Last edited by Bo; 06-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Added a couple of sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2009, 05:37 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
927 posts, read 1,209,428 times
Reputation: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
You're absolutely right, but what you're describing is not how it's done anymore. The leagues pit cities against each other, so that they'll compete to be the place that ponies up the most money. The argument will be that if San Antonio taxpayers don't cough up this money or agree to build a shiny new facility that the team will go to City X. That's why taxpayers should dig their heels in and squawk any time there is talk of bringing another major league sports team to town. Let the other cities this one!

If San Antonio grows enough to be a Top 25 media market, it will have some leverage to resist the demands to build a facility. Right now, it's market # 37. No sports leagues have 37 teams, so San Antonio must still compete against the other larger markets that don't have teams. The best thing to do is just sit back a decade or so and wait for that media market ranking to increase.
Actually San Antonio is the 28th largest market in the country. Right behind Orlando. So we're not that far from being a top 25 market. And currently there are numerous markets smaller than San Antonio that have NFL teams. Nashville and Jacksonville come to mind. I also agree that a potential owner should be the one who funds a stadium. But in lieu of that I wouldn't want a chance for an NFL team to go by the wayside because someone didn't want a hotel/tourist tax to go up a 1/2 a cent or some such miniscule amount. That would be ridiculous, selfish and very short-sighted.

Last edited by bresilhac; 06-08-2009 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top