U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 10:07 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,478,619 times

Advertisements

The reason soccer isn't popular in the US is because it's slow and not exciting. I hate soccer but can understand why many do like it. The slow and not exciting aspect is why baseball went from number 1 to number 3 in America. It's still Americas past time but outside of certain die hard markets, it's a game no one cares for.

However, I think what really hurts soccer in America and you may laugh but I think it's the no hands rule. It's slow scoring and not very exciting plus long and then they can't use your hands. Baseball for the most part is a slow scoring game and is drawn out and not very exciting unless it's close towards the end but they use their hands. IDK, maybe I'm just thinking to hard. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,695,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
The reason soccer isn't popular in the US is because it's slow and not exciting. I hate soccer but can understand why many do like it. The slow and not exciting aspect is why baseball went from number 1 to number 3 in America. It's still Americas past time but outside of certain die hard markets, it's a game no one cares for.
You have a point, but I don't agree completely.

Is Basketball 10 times as exciting as football?
I guarantee that an average basketball game you see people scoring at least 10 times more often than in football.

In soccer people don't score very often, but 1 score means as much as 20-50 points in basketball, that's why you get such huge celebrations for 1 score.

On television, the excitement of a sport depends almost completely on the narrators (soccer always get crappy ones) and changing cameras constantly (big in baseball).

Imagine watching all sports without narrators and only 1 camera for the whole game. That should tell you which sports are exciting and which ones are not.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You have a point, but I don't agree completely.

Is Basketball 10 times as exciting as football?
I guarantee that an average basketball game you see people scoring at least 10 times more often than in football.
I agree, basketball is more exciting than football in terms of scoring and it's fast pace. However, football is exciting in its own right because of its strategic nature. If you've ever seen the great George Carlin's humorous but spot on comparison of football and baseball, you'll understand that football is like a war with one side trying to advance and the other side doing their best to stop them.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:45 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,423,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post

However, I think what really hurts soccer in America and you may laugh but I think it's the no hands rule. It's slow scoring and not very exciting plus long and then they can't use your hands. Baseball for the most part is a slow scoring game and is drawn out and not very exciting unless it's close towards the end but they use their hands. IDK, maybe I'm just thinking to hard. lol
I don't know. In soccer the action is constant, and hardly stops, like basketball. While Football is very exciting I find the long wait between plays to be kinda boring and lacking in excitement.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,695,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I don't know. In soccer the action is constant, and hardly stops, like basketball. While Football is very exciting I find the long wait between plays to be kinda boring and lacking in excitement.
What people usually mean with "exciting" is that they get to see a lot of scoring (basketball) or the scores are very high (football)

What I find funny, is that people don't seem to realize that a 21-14 football game is the same as a 3-2 soccer game.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,153,351 times
Cool SA NFL team

Would you support it, whether it's an expansion or relocation? I believe that it would change the dynamic of the city, more than an MLB or NHL team. There are several possible candidates out there that might relocate (a certain team in N. Florida comes to mind).

Any thoughts?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 PM

There's already a big thread on this topic. If no one finds it and posts the link in this thread, I'd suggest you find it and post this in there as someone will lock this up or merge it.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 PM

325 posts, read 694,950 times
Could we get Vick, how big would the tax hike be for the new stadium??

Old 07-28-2009, 08:44 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,214,976 times
San Antonio should get a NFL team

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...llegiance.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-nfl-team.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...-nfl-team.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...fl-coming.html

Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM

898 posts, read 2,277,495 times
Trust me if an NFL team moved to SA, they would be supported. Even with the Cowgirls obsession around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio