U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:42 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowjak View Post
As long as Dallas and Houston have their teams, you will NEVER see an NFL team in San Antonio. San Antonio is being farmed out to the tourism, hospitality, and service industry which isn't exactly the high powered economic sector needed to support an NFL team.

One only needs to look at the fifteen year old Alamodome and see that it is empty. Sure, there are conventions and famfest days but big deal. If you haven't been here long, the San Antonio leadership simply works like this:

How can we suck more cash out of the taxpayer and give them nothing but convince them that we have just helped make their lives better?

The NFL doesn't fit into this picture. The Alamodome does. In the late eighties, then Mayor Henry Cisneros(eventually pardoned by Clinton in 2001) conned the poor people to vote for the Alamodome with a .5% sales tax for five years. The smoke job came when Cisneros and all of the leaders guaranteed a vibrant economic future because the dome would bring in the NFL, MLB, and everyone else. It was a complete joke. The dome vote passed by less than 5,000 votes but it never lived up to the lies.

I am really surprised at how cheery most of the posts are in this forum. Next, we'll have everyone praising the higher property tax values which, in effect, are designed to steal some, if not most, of your anticipated statewide property tax cut starting in 2008.
You have a really negative view of San Antonio. Unrealisticaly negative in fact. You're part of the crowd that still believes that San Antonio is primarily a low wage town and you couldn't be farther from the truth. Take a look at all of the burgeoning suburbs on the northside from one end to the other. Do you think these plush subdivisions are being populated by low wage poor people? I don't think so. There are many, many people with good jobs that pay solid incomes in this town and I'm one of them. I live in 78249 and believe me it isn't cheap to live out here. So forget the notion that San Antonio's populace cannot compete with those of Dallas or Houston when it comes to supporting major league franchises. To believe that San Antonio is somehow subpar compared to other cities in Texas is old 1979 thinking and it stinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2007, 07:40 PM

483 posts, read 1,426,286 times
While I fundamentally agree with what you're saying bresilhac, SA does have a long way to go before its median income catches up with Dallas and Houston (or Austin, for that matter). This is still a town that lives and dies by the service industry, and while the economy is become more diversified all the time with higher-income jobs and more high-profile companies (which equals sponsorship dollars), SA is still chiefly defined by its tourism.

This is changing, but its going to take several more years (if not decades) for SA average income to rise and for its TV market to grow larger (my gut tells me SA isn't going to get any attention from the NFL or MLB until our TV market is at least in the top 30 nationally). So while there is cause for optimism due to SA's rapid growth, I'm gonna temper it with some realism and patience.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:03 PM

305 posts, read 1,423,102 times
I think the problem with SA is many:

1. Dallas Cowboys. I think the Cowboys and their ownership has done much to keep SA from getting a team. The Dallas franchise has always held a lot of power with the NFL and I believe they consider SA an important part of their fan base. It would be interesting to know what portion of sales of tickets and merchandise come from the SA area. I think it would be in the best interest of the Cowboys to protect that fan base. Giving SA a team would really hurt the Cowboys. Look how hard Angelos (Baltimore Orioles owner) fought to keep the Nationals out of DC. he nearly won, but he did get some compensation.

2. Texas Longhorns. With the proximity of the football powerhouse, it tends to overshadow the potential of what a franchise could do in SA and also keeps the SA/Austin corridor divided.

3. National perception. Unfortunately SA is still considered a backwater town, not ready for the big leagues. A good example of this is the way the Spurs have been treated. Anywhere else they would have been proclaimed as the team of the ages. I am waiting for some moron columnist from NY to say that the Spurs should give up their championships for the betterment of the game. There have already been statements boardering on the ridiculous already.

The TV market is bogus. One of the most successful franchises in history (Green Bay) can't even register. Here in Indy, the team does really well and I would consider this a smaller market than SA. But having good corporate sponsorship keeps the team here in Indy. There is a LOT of corporate money in SA. Valero, Tesoro, Clear Channel, AT&T just to name a few. If one or a few of these corporations decided that having a team in SA was a good idea, it would happen.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:22 PM

18,627 posts, read 27,042,193 times
I think San Antonio can support the NFL. It's Texas and the corporate base is growing. I think the Cowboys will continue to have a huge presence there but they can still support one.

But I just have a hard time seeing the MLB supported in San Antonio. I think it will be a long time before that happens. The market is too small and there, of course, is no history. Even markets that are much larger than San Antonio are struggling because MLB caters to the largeST market as well as the historic teams like the Cardinals. Some teams may catch lightning in a bottle once in a while, but they won't stay there long because the large market teams will get the best players from that small market team and all of a sudden, you'll suck again for the next 5-7 years. Don't count on Austin supporting an MLB team in San Antonio either. Not when the Astros and Longhorns still reside in the state.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:47 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,361,833 times
I read not to long ago on MySa.com that the city (as in officials) were redirecting their efforts from attracting another major league team to more youth sport teams and facilities.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:04 PM

17 posts, read 50,518 times
Default NFL will come...when I don't know.

I'm new to the site, and I've enjoyed reading most of the responses. S.A. can support an NFL team...I think it's the easiest sell in pro sports - 8 home games, almost all games on weekends, so it's an event that can pull in a regional audience, even if the tickets are $75 per game a season package is still pretty good (vs. 41 NBA reg season games or 81 MLB games). I think we do a good job of supporting the Spurs, so I'm not sure about the team having any financial difficulties mentioned earlier. Looking back, we should have done things in reverse order - taken care of the Spurs arena first, then doing a dome/stadium. Henry C was a good mayor in that he got the inferiority complex out of most S.A. residents, but he may have been dreaming too big at the time. Now would be the time to have him as the city is booming and could rightfully aim higher. If comparable markets currently in the NFL can do it - Jacksonville, Buffalo, N.O. - we certainly can. Jacksonville is probably the most likely team to move (not sure how they beat us out the first time), the Bills could be too, but not as long as Ralph Wilson is around (not trying to sound morbid but he is 88), and with N.O. only time and money will tell. We have a growing corporate base and a populace that is less native and more used to having things like pro teams around to support. It can happen , but let's be enthusiastic and realistic at the same time.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:13 PM

718 posts, read 2,152,602 times
Default NHL anyone?

Does anyone in the area want or care for an NHL team? I only ask because we just moved to Austin from Nashville. With the pending sale of the Predators, I have heard reports of SA pushing for an NHL team. I had never heard this until a) we moved and b) people start talking about new franchises and relocations. I was just curious to see if normal citizens of the SA area cared one way or another? And sorry, pulling for the Stars is not even an option!

Old 07-15-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,027 times
Cool Nhl

I would love to see an NHL team in SA. I've lived here eleven years and like the city. I also LOVE sports. But right now i am hoping more for MLB, then NFL. I think we deserve it.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,604,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
It think SA right now as a MSA is almost as the size (just over 2 million) of Charlotte's CSA.

However, in the case of Jacksonville and Charlotte, simple answer, they offered better deals to the NFL than SA did at the time. The NFL is seeing the mistake they made in Jacksonville.
Well, as of this year, SA was at 1.9 million. Charlotte's MSA is at 1.6 million. It's CSA is at 2.2 million though and growing faster than SA's CSA. Anyway, Charlotte has supported the Panthers well (the stadium is even getting a light rail line, which Charlotte is building now and will be complete this Fall). They have enough corporate support (from all the banks headquartered there). Jacksonville is the exact opposite, and SA should try and get them. They could easily support the name. Just for fun, what would you call SA's team? Would you keep the Jaguar name, or choose something else?

Old 07-16-2007, 01:57 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,604,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
The TV market is bogus. One of the most successful franchises in history (Green Bay) can't even register. Here in Indy, the team does really well and I would consider this a smaller market than SA. But having good corporate sponsorship keeps the team here in Indy. There is a LOT of corporate money in SA. Valero, Tesoro, Clear Channel, AT&T just to name a few. If one or a few of these corporations decided that having a team in SA was a good idea, it would happen.
TV Market is far from bogus. Green Bay is a historic franchise, and has a fanbase all across the area, not just in the Green Bay area. Indy has a large fanbase throughout all of Louisiana. SA's TV Market is small, and when you have two monsters in the state (Houston and DFW), that doesn't help your chances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio