U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2009, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Rio Grande Valley/Tone City
362 posts, read 939,675 times
Reputation: 128

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
What's so great about San Antonio?

The weather, good Mexican food, the Riverwalk. That's really about it.

If you're looking for a cosmopolitan city with a lot going on this just isn't it.

San Antonio not cosmopolitan? It has grown into a very cosmopolitan city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2009, 02:55 PM
 
674 posts, read 1,616,871 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
austin is not very kid friendly. too many drunk collage kids. but austin was a nice place before all the influx of people that changed the culture of what austin was. san antonio is your best bet.
LOL you said what I wanted to say without rambling like I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 03:01 PM
 
674 posts, read 1,616,871 times
Reputation: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexGirl View Post
Wow ! Im from LA and Im thinking of moving to SA or Austin, but I hope I dont run into narrow minded people who think all brown skin people are "MEXICAN" I am Mexican I have fair skin and a long European looking face. Somaybe the ones who thing we are all short and brown are not well educated.FYI one thing is Hispanic the other is Latin....food for your brain. Also Hispanics are the majority , whe even have a mixed race president as of today. Be aware the next one can be Hispanic.
I think you'll like San Antonio more than Austin in that respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Reputation: 12219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexGirl View Post
Wow ! Im from LA and Im thinking of moving to SA or Austin, but I hope I dont run into narrow minded people who think all brown skin people are "MEXICAN" I am Mexican I have fair skin and a long European looking face. Somaybe the ones who thing we are all short and brown are not well educated.FYI one thing is Hispanic the other is Latin....food for your brain. Also Hispanics are the majority , whe even have a mixed race president as of today. Be aware the next one can be Hispanic.
I'm latin (caribbean) and I've lived in SA for 4 months after living 15 years in Missouri.

To pu it in few words, In Missouri and surrounding states, if you are Native American people think you are Mexican and will let you know about it.

In San Antonio, to put it in few words, looks to me like the perfect mexican-white american melting pot.
That added to the large number of mexican immigrants and mexican tourists (usually white mexicans)
Well, you have no idea of who is Mexican, who is American, who speaks English or Spanish.
It doesn't bother me if people think I'm Mexican (even though I look Puertorican)
I don't expect people to know exactly from what country is my heritage.

A mexican-american friend of mine from Houston doesn't like San Antonio too much because he says is too "chicano" (hope that's not a bad word).
And I've noticed that you see very few mexican flags in San Antonio compared to other cities with much smaller mexican-american communities.

Austin seems like a "normal" american city with a strong San Francisco feeling to it (culturally speaking)
I believe they have about 30% hispanic population, while San Antonio is about 60%

Last edited by Dopo; 02-21-2009 at 05:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,916 times
Reputation: 10
Although this tread is two years old? Let put an end to the difference between Mexican and Hispanic!!! Back in the days when filling out applications in general it would ask origin the choice was Latino. Well Spanish/I meet folks from Spain felt it didn't apply to them. So I forgot when (Time frame) all applications were changed to read "Hispanic" which would include European Spanish speaking as well. So the word "Hispanic is now inclusive of 99.9 Spanish speaking".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:54 PM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,624,248 times
Reputation: 12219
We are all the same (hispanic)
the difference is that Mexicans are 50% of hispanics in the US and can jump on a bus to visit their family in Mexico.
This makes mexicans be a little different because they don't feel as if they live 1000s of miles away from their country/family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 12:19 AM
 
Location: Rio Grande Valley/Tone City
362 posts, read 939,675 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm latin (caribbean) and I've lived in SA for 4 months after living 15 years in Missouri.

To pu it in few words, In Missouri and surrounding states, if you are Native American people think you are Mexican and will let you know about it.

In San Antonio, to put it in few words, looks to me like the perfect mexican-white american melting pot.
That added to the large number of mexican immigrants and mexican tourists (usually white mexicans)
Well, you have no idea of who is Mexican, who is American, who speaks English or Spanish.
It doesn't bother me if people think I'm Mexican (even though I look Puertorican)
I don't expect people to know exactly from what country is my heritage.

A mexican-american friend of mine from Houston doesn't like San Antonio too much because he says is too "chicano" (hope that's not a bad word).
And I've noticed that you see very few mexican flags in San Antonio compared to other cities with much smaller mexican-american communities.

Austin seems like a "normal" american city with a strong San Francisco feeling to it (culturally speaking)
I believe they have about 30% hispanic population, while San Antonio is about 60%

San Antonio is 53.6% hispanic and nearly 40% white. That equals to more white population then the entire population of the city of Austin. The Black population is close to 100k, and Asian is about 25k I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 AM
 
15 posts, read 26,117 times
Reputation: 10
Saying "Mexican" means that you are a citizen of Mexico. Like when you refer to Americans or Canadians. A Hispanic is a person that is an American who comes from Latin American decent. So when someone refers to us as "Mexican" I don't get mad. I just don't blame people for being ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 12:23 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,916 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
We are all the same (hispanic)
the difference is that Mexicans are 50% of hispanics in the US and can jump on a bus to visit their family in Mexico.
This makes mexicans be a little different because they don't feel as if they live 1000s of miles away from their country/family.

OK I give up! We are not the same, however we're all categorize as Hispanic. That I agree with. A Cuban is not a Mexican, or a Mexican is not a Puerto Rican, and so on??? People please itís not that difficult to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM
 
4 posts, read 5,916 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessealva View Post
Saying "Mexican" means that you are a citizen of Mexico. Like when you refer to Americans or Canadians. A Hispanic is a person that is an American who comes from Latin American decent. So when someone refers to us as "Mexican" I don't get mad. I just don't blame people for being ignorant.

comes from Latin American decent: Not just Latino's...also includes folks from Spain. That why the verbal transition from "Latino to Hispanic"...ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:16 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top