U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:58 PM

11 posts, read 40,347 times

Advertisements

We need good teachers that are not prejudice, like people who "answered your questions" the first time.

I lived in california for over 25 yrs, but I am from texas. I have found that men here want to be "paid" if they take you out to dinner. Watch out for those dating ads. A bunch of losers, whites and hispanics, out there looking for a woman with a home so they can move in.

i have not met a single man, who has a life. I mean property, an excellent job, etc. It is very sad. They love to kiss and tell, like teenagers. I have to say they make me sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 07:52 AM

554 posts, read 2,102,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residentpro View Post
i have not met a single man, who has a life. I mean property, an excellent job, etc. It is very sad. They love to kiss and tell, like teenagers. I have to say they make me sick.
I met my husband about three and a half years ago in San Antonio and is the exact opposite of this statement. Don't let the pp make you think that responsible men with good family values are nonexistent in San Antonio.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:24 PM

11 posts, read 40,347 times
My apologies to those females who were lucky enough to find good husbands in san antonio, but that has been MY EXPERIENCE.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 PM

370 posts, read 762,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maowkss View Post
I wanted to know about machismo or general male attitude toward women in the city, or just here some experiences from people in similar situations (dating, working, living in SA as a single girl).

Also, how living is there. Laidback and calm for a big city? (I'm not a big city gal). Lots of outdoor seating at restaraunts/mid-day margarita sipping?

Is there a good music scene (for rock/indie)?

Are there a lot of cute boys with tattoos?
Hello,
this is my first post here, (need to intro myself in a bit) yet I am answering your question from Chicago, (the second largest Mexican population in the USA outside of Los Angeles). So, you are an ESL teacher and you do not know about the Sociological concept of Machismo?

May I ask what sort of cultures you live amongst now? I am not Latina/Hispanic yet have my own experiences with machismo from a German/Polish *ex* husband. One not need to be of any particular culture to be a "Machismo".

One of my former Sociology profs, (that is my undergrad) was from Chile and her dissertation was on Machismo.

Good luck, it may be best not to hold strict and fast pre-conceived notions but to be aware of your own ethnocentricities and to recognize that you will feel some growing pains as you realize that you are broadening your own horizons.

Cheers,
Gen in Chicago, (for a few more months)

edit: OH! I read through the thread some more, I think I see what sort of specifics you are looking for, you want to know about "hooligans?" Right? Hooligans is the term for groups of unnattached males? I have some lessons learned from living and working as a single female in the Chicago land area...sigh, this does not sound good but, these are personal experience induced lessons from where I live. When going out and about solo be aware but:

1-do not look, especially do not RETURN oogles, an oogle seems to be an invitation and if you "look" back you are giving the signal that "yes, I want you, or something"

2-do not flirt, this means do NOT return small talk to any one who talks, (sometimes they speak softly as you go by and if you stop to ask what, then, the onus for the encounter is on you and you have just "signaled" that you want him...

3-smiling and eye contact = flirting

4-flirting = you want them

5-no after you've misled...tsk, shame on *us* how dare we

6-oh, you didn't know you misled...see rule number 1

7-if you say you are not interested then even think that you can be "pals" you are mistaken...I learned the hard way about...after the third or fourth supposed coworker friend tried to "snare" me with his arms, hands...tough grips...

All this above and please know that I have had several very good associates with co-workers who were male...my best friend in the whole world is a woman from Juanajuato and even she and I have discussed this while jogging...she said to me, "AH!! The Mexican men are crazy, you cannot go for a run without them beeping or shouting!!" I do not know if they are the most crazy but, definately the most cat calls in the world...remember, see rule number 1 above...

These rules are only for groups of hooligans and or, if a person you thought you knew suddenly looks at you intentionally long enough for you to "catch" him oogling you, when that happens and you do NOT cease conversation, then you have just signaled that you 'want' him...crazy...

Last edited by Gennaver; 04-25-2007 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 AM

39 posts, read 170,134 times
Default so young, so misunderstood

wow ... um, i think somewhere down the line i misled people as far as what i was asking about. i know the definition of machismo, and i'm pretty confident that i'm good at discouraging unwanted attention; i just wanted an honest perspective from women living in SA, without all of the lectures on racism and ethnocentricity attached to it. i know that i'm not racist, and openly admit to ethnocentricism ... sorry, all of you female castraters of other lands ... i don't think what you do in your culture is right. but, without regards to any of that hubub, i just wanted to know what SA women thought about the male culture in their city; that's all. and from what i've read from women who know what i'm talking about is that men in SA are for the most part respectful, and the overall culture isn't machismo. i'm only 24 so i'm not too worried about not finding the 'one' just yet ... i just wanted to know if there were cute boys with tattoos but thanks for all of your answers!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:03 PM

370 posts, read 762,246 times
Quote:
...admit to ethnocentricism ... sorry, all of you female castraters of other lands ... i
Wow,
I really missed something.

Whoever said that ethnocentricism is a dirty word? How can anyone help but to view the world from their own worldview, (this *does not* mean closed mind).

Yikes, female castrators? I missed those too...

??
Gen

Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 PM

58 posts, read 174,116 times
Quote:
Also, how living is there. Laidback and calm for a big city? (I'm not a big city gal). Lots of outdoor seating at restaraunts/mid-day margarita sipping?

Is there a good music scene (for rock/indie)?

Are there a lot of cute boys with tattoos?
As far as outdoor seating and drinking, I would have to say the Riverwalk would be perfect for that.

The music scene...I haven't been too exposed to yet, as far as concerts. We are into indie music and genre's like that (the national, bright eyez <the old bright eyez > grandaddy, the stone roses, supergrass, etc.) not sure if that is the music you like. Anyways, we found a great station: 89.9 but it is out of San Marcos...so we don't really get great reception here. I'm curious to go visit San Marcos to see what it is like there. We haven't heard of concerts around here for the music we like...but I'm sure if we search we will find something. Everywhere we go the music playing outside is awesome. In the outside shopping areas they were playing oasis and gomez.

I haven't really seen cute boys with tats....but I'll take a look for you!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 PM

39 posts, read 170,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taraaa17 View Post
As far as outdoor seating and drinking, I would have to say the Riverwalk would be perfect for that.

The music scene...I haven't been too exposed to yet, as far as concerts. We are into indie music and genre's like that (the national, bright eyez <the old bright eyez > grandaddy, the stone roses, supergrass, etc.) not sure if that is the music you like. Anyways, we found a great station: 89.9 but it is out of San Marcos...so we don't really get great reception here. I'm curious to go visit San Marcos to see what it is like there. We haven't heard of concerts around here for the music we like...but I'm sure if we search we will find something. Everywhere we go the music playing outside is awesome. In the outside shopping areas they were playing oasis and gomez.

I haven't really seen cute boys with tats....but I'll take a look for you!
hehe. yeah, more or less that sort of music. the shins, modest mouse, etc. but, check out some myspace pages for san antonio (i'd link for you but i'm lazy ) -- i saw lots of events going on when i looked on there. and austin is only an hour away! i'm sure there's tons going on there, right? thanks for the radio info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or