Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:28 PM

72 posts, read 165,270 times

Advertisements

Hello there!

Well, after reading and reading, I finally decided to create an account and post something. My name is Alma and my family and I are currently living in Colorado Springs, CO. We are moving to San Antonio next year in the Spring and are actually looking forward to it. We are so ready for some HEAT! The Springs is beautiful, but man is it cold! We lived in Las Vegas for 4 years and we miss that kind of heat. Grant it it's dry heat, but just like we got used to the Vegas heat, I'm sure San Antonio is going to be A-Okay with us.

With two growing boy's, my Husband and I look forward to exploring a new city with everything that it has to offer. Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and tell you how excited I'm to have found this message board!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 05:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
Hi!

Old 06-09-2009, 05:49 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,318 times
Welcome to SA!!
We have vacationed in Colorado Springs. It is BEAUTIFUL!!
It is definitely on our list of places to visit (for a LONG time) once we retire.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,998,978 times
Howdy and welcome!!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:36 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
Heat we have. And we gladly share it. Welcome to SA, soon

Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Oddly enough, a good friend of mine moved from San Antonio to Colorado Springs only last week!

And despite the natural tendency to think it, he is not military! Well, he's no longer military (he's retired like yours truly). He's been in SA for ten years and finally landed a job up in "The 'Springs." I've already gotten a few emails from him, and he is loving it up there. Being a fellow Jeeper, he's more than thrilled about the greater opportunities to offroad there.

Personally, I wouldn't mind living up there as I lived outside of Boise for a short while in the mid-80s (while I was in the USAF). I love the northwest but the thought of tearing up and moving is just too much to bear. Plus, we do love it here. It's not perfect, but it is very nice and we are in no rush to leave.

Oh, and welcome to San Antonio! It will take a little while to get used to the heat (we've moved here twice, both times from Europe), but once you do you will enjoy it. It beats the heck out of sleet and ice like we had in Belgium (the assignment in between our two San Antonio assignments).

Cheers! M2

Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Oddly enough, a good friend of mine moved from San Antonio to Colorado Springs only last week!

And despite the natural tendency to think it, he is not military! Well, he's no longer military (he's retired like yours truly). He's been in SA for ten years and finally landed a job up in "The 'Springs." I've already gotten a few emails from him, and he is loving it up there. Being a fellow Jeeper, he's more than thrilled about the greater opportunities to offroad there.

Personally, I wouldn't mind living up there as I lived outside of Boise for a short while in the mid-80s (while I was in the USAF). I love the northwest but the thought of tearing up and moving is just too much to bear. Plus, we do love it here. It's not perfect, but it is very nice and we are in no rush to leave.

Oh, and welcome to San Antonio! It will take a little while to get used to the heat (we've moved here twice, both times from Europe), but once you do you will enjoy it. It beats the heck out of sleet and ice like we had in Belgium (the assignment in between our two San Antonio assignments).

Cheers! M2
Well my Husband is Air Force and with only one more move and 4 years left until retirement, we figured what the heck! We really do love it here, but I think we've done it all. We used to live in San Diego, California and we just got spoiled with everything there. There was nothing like waking up and driving to Disneyland, Sea World, the SD Zoo, oh and of course the Beach at any given time. I think that if we didn't have young children we would try staying here. Well, we can always come back if we don't like SA. I sure wont miss the snow, ice and cold, that's for sure!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Well, you can wake up and drive to SeaWorld, Six Flags, the Riverwalk, the Hill Country, the beach or any other number of places and things to do here as well! There is a lot to do here, which is one of the reasons we love it so much.

Here and here are listings of some day trips in the local area, and I would recommend the book Day Trips from San Antonio as it has a lot more info and we use it often (there may be a more recent version of it out, but honestly how much could change?).

This forum is also a great source of information on ongoing events, and there are a few others such as About.com's San Antonio page which are useful as well.

This is a very family-oriented town, and I have always said that if you can't find anything fun to do around here, than maybe it's not the location that is the problem.

Oh, and since you are Air Force I will let you in on my little secret...I used to hate San Antonio! Allow me to explain, I first came here 18 years old and fresh out of high school for...yep, you guessed it! Basic training!

Six years later I was back, this time for AFROTC field training. It was the same "stuff," different day all over again!

Then, in 1995 my new bride and I actually came here on our honeymoon and we had a good time; but four years later we PCS'd here from Germany and I was miserable the entire first year. Not because I didn't like San Antonio, I just missed Germany that much!

But after that first year I finally started to see the light, and we missed it when we left in 2002 to go to Belgium for three years. Now, we enjoyed our time there immensely; but we did miss Texas (especially when I was scraping off six inches of ice and snow off my car in the wee hours of the morning! ). I was at the 19 year mark when we returned, so I worked an assignment back here and retired less than a year later, walking dierctly into a contracting job in the office across the hall from where I used to work! I knew there were opportunities here, especially on Security Hill, and I was still in touch with a lot of people that I knew from our previous time here as well as other places that ended up here.

My point is to be careful, San Antonio can be a very tempting place to retire and settle down; so don't be surprised if you end up here for a long time!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM

Thanks for sharing Majormadmax! Now I'm getting even more excited! We are going to be spending this coming Christmas in San Antonio. It looks like there is plenty to do during that time, so that should be fun! Anyhow, thanks again!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:20 AM

434 posts, read 1,123,563 times
Welcome to what soon will be your new home! It has been a year today since we arrived in SA. I loved my first winter here, no cold, snow, or ice! We lived all our lives in NYS, so I do get homesick on occasion, but the city data friends were great with recommendations to help the latest bout go away. I love it here and hope you will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio