Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,017 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I need to see if someone can help me out. We are moving from Philadelphia to San Antonio and my fiance is dead set on living downtown because of the activities and night life. Does any one have recommendations on where to move that has a pool? and also is there any neighborhoods around downtown that has stuff to do and is walking distance?? sorry I am foreign to the area.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 04:53 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

And then come back to us. Y'all may not want to live downtown. It's not as vibrant as you may think (just my 2 cents though).

Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 PM

203 posts, read 561,144 times
the vistana, cadillac lofts, towers at the majestic. Actually the Riverwalk will be the place to hang out. Always people and at times very relaxing.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:01 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,850,054 times
Although main downtown is alot safer then it once was I would seriously check out various areas away from the downtown area.
SAN ANTONIO COMMUNITY PORTAL - Home go to the police are once you think you have an area of interest and do a crime data report.

Maybe big events in SA offer Free Via park and rides. Plus not all big events are in the downtown area. Many are just outside or off the main area. Don't know about shopping either. It is not like in other big citys we don't have a large living communitee in downtown, it is growing though.

When you look into a place also think about parking. Grocery Shopping, Medical needs and all the othe ness stuff you might need. There is a hospital downtown but right now the west side is the best place for all sorts of medical needs.

Do research well. I would suggest however that you take an apartment outside downtown first for about a year and get to know the city better and see what area would best fit you downtown. There are some places even local won't go. Luckily they are not around the main tourist areas and are out a ways but still research is you main key.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjberry View Post
Hey everyone. I need to see if someone can help me out. We are moving from Philadelphia to San Antonio and my fiance is dead set on living downtown because of the activities and night life. Does any one have recommendations on where to move that has a pool? and also is there any neighborhoods around downtown that has stuff to do and is walking distance?? sorry I am foreign to the area.

thanks!
Welcome to SA. Search for the following neighborhoods under this forum:

King William, Southtown, Lavaca, Mahncke Park, Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, Monte Vista, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park.

They are all close to downtown, and most are somewhat walkable, though nothing like Philadelphia.

Downtown proper is a great option, too. I lived there when I first moved to SA and liked it a lot (that was several years ago, though).

Old 06-15-2009, 06:34 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
MJberry,

You can live in downtown proper or just outside of downtown but within a walking distance. The second option has more residential options.

For the first option there are residential units you can rent or buy in downtown proper. Vistana is new cool apartment building just built. Also the Majestic Tower has rentable units. There are other rentable units scattered around downtown. For buying, there's Vidorra, the top floors of the Grand Hyatt (I forget the name) Judson Lofts, etc.

Just outside downtown proper is King William, Southtown, Monte Vista, Tobin Hill and SoFlo. You'll find great housing stock in these neighborhoods.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:42 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
Although main downtown is alot safer then it once was I would seriously check out various areas away from the downtown area.
SAN ANTONIO COMMUNITY PORTAL - Home go to the police are once you think you have an area of interest and do a crime data report.

Maybe big events in SA offer Free Via park and rides. Plus not all big events are in the downtown area. Many are just outside or off the main area. Don't know about shopping either. It is not like in other big citys we don't have a large living communitee in downtown, it is growing though.

When you look into a place also think about parking. Grocery Shopping, Medical needs and all the othe ness stuff you might need. There is a hospital downtown but right now the west side is the best place for all sorts of medical needs.

Do research well. I would suggest however that you take an apartment outside downtown first for about a year and get to know the city better and see what area would best fit you downtown. There are some places even local won't go. Luckily they are not around the main tourist areas and are out a ways but still research is you main key.
Posts like this really aggravate me.

If you don't know enough about downtown to "know about shopping", you should hold off on giving advice to a newcomer. Actually, I'll take it one step further: if your response contains incorrect and/or unsubstantiated claims, you should hold off on giving advice.

There are 3 hospitals downtown. There are 3 small grocery stores downtown, and the best store in town (Central Market) is 3.5 miles north on Broadway. There are plenty of parking spaces to lease, in both garages and lots.

And where are the places downtown that the "even local (sic) won't go"? I can't think of a single place.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
There are 3 hospitals downtown. There are 3 small grocery stores downtown, and the best store in town (Central Market) is 3.5 miles north on Broadway. There are plenty of parking spaces to lease, in both garages and lots.
That is a matter of opinion. That store caters to the upper class in Alamo Heights.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 PM

616 posts, read 2,082,908 times
And here I thought it catered to people who wanted to shop at a nice grocery store where they could get specialty food items and prepared foods. Last I checked, that's not exactly an exclusively upper class or Alamo Heights want or interest.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:51 PM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Posts like this really aggravate me.
ice.

There are 3 hospitals downtown. There are 3 small grocery stores downtown, and the best store in town (Central Market) is 3.5 miles north on Broadway.

And where are the places downtown that the "even local (sic) won't go"? I can't think of a single place.
I bolded the facts in that post. The rest were opinions, just fyi.

Let the OP decide where the "best" grocery store is in San Antonio. I would never proclaim the grocery store I go to to be the "best" grocery store just because it's in a rich or close to downtown area. I would say it's a good place to shop, is easy to get to, and has a great range or items though (Central Market), but I wouldn't say "best. "It's all subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio