Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Mmmmmm Whataburger.....
mmmmmmm #5, no onions, mayo instead of mustard please

We're just a bunch of rednecks over here on the west side. We never get the good stuff.

Well, I'm a little further west than y'all (so maybe I'm more redneck, LOL )

edit: On a serious note. A WF over here would be nice. We need more variety. Of course, If I had a choice, I would pick Costco first. ***still crossing fingers***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:21 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Mojo.....a lot of people who post on here don't think the people on this side of town have much money, class, or feed our families anything besides Jack in the Box and Bill Miller's. Apparently, the market research has shown the same thing. It's just ridiculous and I don't agree but companies seem to be afraid to take a chance out here. The median home value and the median income are lower, so obviously we're mental infants who want to drink Cherry Kool-Aid and eat Whataburger at every meal.
Yall know, HEB has different "combo - locos" for different stores across town.

While I agree that most people want to feed their family the "best" foods (whatever that means for someone's culture and overall thoughts on "healthy"), there are certainly areas of town that would not support a Whole Foods as spending a greater percentage of their household income on organic, non-antibiotic, whole foods is just not an option - even though Americans spend less money percentage wise on food than many, many other nations do.

To the PP to imply though that people who live in expensive subdivisions of Stone Oak would shop at Whole Foods only because they can afford it is just silly. I have seen educated, fit and wealthy people feed their kids McDonalds.

I do agree though that the "big picture" points to educated people considering health (or at least what the current trend is regarding health foods - organic, non-antibiotic, whole foods) above price/cost.

I know I am kinda all over the board here

Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

While I agree that most people want to feed their family the "best" foods (whatever that means for someone's culture and overall thoughts on "healthy"), there are certainly areas of town that would not support a Whole Foods as spending a greater percentage of their household income on organic, non-antibiotic, whole foods is just not an option - even though Americans spend less money percentage wise on food than many, many other nations do.

To the PP to imply though that people who live in expensive subdivisions of Stone Oak would shop at Whole Foods only because they can afford it is just silly. I have seen educated, fit and wealthy people feed their kids McDonalds.

I do agree though that the "big picture" points to educated people considering health (or at least what the current trend is regarding health foods - organic, non-antibiotic, whole foods) above price/cost.

I know I am kinda all over the board here
What?

Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Mojo.....a lot of people who post on here don't think the people on this side of town have much money, class, or feed our families anything besides Jack in the Box and Bill Miller's. Apparently, the market research has shown the same thing. It's just ridiculous and I don't agree but companies seem to be afraid to take a chance out here. The median home value and the median income are lower, so obviously we're mental infants who want to drink Cherry Kool-Aid and eat Whataburger at every meal.
Most people on the suburban west side of SA (Potranco-Culebra on either side of 1604) move there because the housing is exceptionally cheap (and either brand new or sorta new). I think it's reasonable to assume that people who choose to purchase a cheaper house aren't as likely to patronize more expensive grocers like Whole Foods. And, yes, that's generally reflected by the multitudes of fast-food joints and generic chain restaurants.

I don't think you're "mental infants". I just don't think you guys like to spend money, and you don't seem to mind generic suburban stuff.

And, as others have pointed out, Whataburger rules, though I'm more of a Hawaiian Punch man, myself.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
Quote:

I honestly did not know that???? Did anyone else have the meatballs and Secret deoderant combo loco at their HEB awhile back? yuck!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:06 PM

I am saying that even HEB notices the difference in culture and income throughout SA, that is why they have different "combo - locos" in each store or area. (combo-locos are their promotion of "buy this and get that for free" and these differ from area to area)

As for the rest of my post what I mean to say is that even though we can all agree that each person would like to feed their family healthy foods that the definition of "healthy" can be different from the North Side to the South Side.

Additionally, Whole Foods OF COURSE would not put a store in a low income area as:
1) Perhaps not everyone in that area thinks that organic etc etc foods are healthier
2) More likely than not those households simply cannot spend a higher percentage on food than they already do

I would assume that OF COURSE a Whole Foods would want to go in a Stone Oak "type" location, but in my opinion:
1) Not all people with a higher income feed their families organic etc etc foods just because they can afford to
2) To assume that because someone lives in a huge home or estate that they know how to feed their family according to current "health trends" (my point of rich women in escalades driving their kids through McDs) is just silly.

My very last point was that "overall" I think education, and not income, takes precedence when choosing foods to feel your family...

Old 06-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I honestly did not know that???? Did anyone else have the meatballs and Secret deoderant combo loco at their HEB awhile back? yuck!

Yup,

View Weekly Ads

Try out different zip codes.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:13 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,698,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
Most people on the suburban west side of SA (Potranco-Culebra on either side of 1604) move there because the housing is exceptionally cheap (and either brand new or sorta new). I think it's reasonable to assume that people who choose to purchase a cheaper house aren't as likely to patronize more expensive grocers like Whole Foods. And, yes, that's generally reflected by the multitudes of fast-food joints and generic chain restaurants.

I don't think you're "mental infants". I just don't think you guys like to spend money, and you don't seem to mind generic suburban stuff.

And, as others have pointed out, Whataburger rules, though I'm more of a Hawaiian Punch man, myself.
Wow...that is really insulting. Do you want to know why A LOT of people move to this area? It's because most of them are military families. It's so that they can go to work at Lackland and get home at a reasonable hour without sitting in heavy traffic so that they can spend time with their families at night. At least that's why we, along with MANY other military families that I have met moved here. I don't want to live in the Stone Oak/Alamo Heights area where my husband would waste time in the car when he could be spending that time with us. Thanks for your opinion, but it's really not necessary to insult an entire area of people. I don't know where you are getting all of your knowledge about the people in this area but your comments are coming off as a bit uppity and I would rather not live wherever you are if everyone carries that attitude. I live in a very lovely neighborhood, in a beautiful house, AND I make the drive across town to shop at Whole Foods sometimes. Oh, imagine that...I DO spend money at stores that cost a little more and live on the far west side. Theory disproved.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:29 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Quote:
Nope, but we had mayo and crayons....yes...mayo and crayons.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:31 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Quote:
Americans spend less money percentage wise on food than many, many other nations do.
Really? How about we spend more at a restaurant than most people make in a salary in other nations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio