Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbra View Post
I put an offer on a 4 bedroom, 2 car garage home in Castle Hills Forest. I really like this home. And I love the trees and the huge lot it sits on. The inspection report came back fine. Can anyone tell me who the builder was? The home was built in 1988. Also, has anyone heard of home being flooded by the Salado Creek that runs behind the neighborhood?

After all the horrible things I have heard about Rayco, Ray Ellison, and KB Homes, I really don't want any of those. Some mentioned to me that the builder was Schaeffer Homes but I have heard of them. I don't even know where to begin searching for this information. My Realtor doesn't know and I couldn't find any builder information via Google.

Any help you can offer would be a blessing.

Thanks!
By the way - if your Realtor can't research the home and find out the builder then I would switch. If you have the legal description and a free account with the Bexar County Clerk you can find this out. I am shocked that a Realtor wouldn't find out for you. Sounds like a lazy Realtor to me. Put in the legal description and it will pull up every land owner including the original builder of the home. Ask your Realtor if he even has an online account with the County Clerk to do this...if not ask him why not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:02 PM

905 posts, read 2,958,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbra View Post
I put an offer on a 4 bedroom, 2 car garage home in Castle Hills Forest. I really like this home. And I love the trees and the huge lot it sits on. The inspection report came back fine. Can anyone tell me who the builder was? The home was built in 1988. Also, has anyone heard of home being flooded by the Salado Creek that runs behind the neighborhood?

After all the horrible things I have heard about Rayco, Ray Ellison, and KB Homes, I really don't want any of those. Some mentioned to me that the builder was Schaeffer Homes but I have heard of them. I don't even know where to begin searching for this information. My Realtor doesn't know and I couldn't find any builder information via Google.

Any help you can offer would be a blessing.

Thanks!
We have lived in CHF for almost 20 years. Schaeffer Homes was the builder. We have one of those 4/2/2 homes on a large lot with lots of trees and we love it. We've looked at other areas and just can't bring ourselves to move. I guess when you consider how much square footage and how much acreage we have, you can't find it as cheap anywhere else. We haven't had any problems with the house in all these 20 years, so I have to assume that they were well built. I am surprised that the realtor can't answer your question. I believe that there should be some paperwork - covenants or something, can't remember what they are called - that tells you who built the home. The neighborhood has never been flooded by the creek, either. We have a tennis court and pool that are well maintained and the membership is very reasonable. We also have activities for the kids during all the major holidays.

Quote:
I would be cautious about buying on the high end of Castle Hills Forest as they have some small starter homes in the back that are really run down with single car garages. No matter how good the original builder - if the home isn't maintained and is too small/cheap for modern buyers then it will drag down the over all neighborhood. Churchill Forest on the other side of the Salado Creek has a nicer selection of homes with the average size being larger and all homes having two car garages.
LOL, banker. I'm not sure how 'run down' those 2-bedroom starter homes are, you'd think they were in prime condition, considering how our property values have risen in the last few years. We do have an active HOA that tries to ensure that the properties are well maintained.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
LOL, banker. I'm not sure how 'run down' those 2-bedroom starter homes are, you'd think they were in prime condition, considering how our property values have risen in the last few years. We do have an active HOA that tries to ensure that the properties are well maintained.
Property values have lagged behind other neighborhoods in the area though - and I think it is directly related to the small starter homes that are in averaage at best condition. Many have too much siding that needs paint and the single car garages look cheap. That may have been acceptable 20 years ago - but in todays world of three car garages that is just horribly cheap and low income looking. Even retirees that want a small home usuall have more than one car. Those are the types of things that hurt a neighborhood in the long run. Sad really because the homes in the front of the neighborhood are pretty nice.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,251 times
Default Castle Hills Forest

I just read all of the postings to Castle Hills Forest.

I completely agree with the writer and his comments about KB Homes. I have friends who live in homes by that builder and no problems at all. A big bang for the buck in those homes, and you can upgrade however you wish.

We recently bought a home in CHF and are very happy with the neighborhood and the homes in the area. According to info we were given this neighborhood was built by Schaeffer Homes in the 80s.

Our home is very solidly built with good "bones" and great quality workmanship.

As for the comments about the garden homes, I think that most of them are well kept. There are only a very few homes in this neighborhood that are not well kept. There are few neighborhoods in this area where you won't find at least a few homes that need more attention.

We also looked at homes in Oak Meadow. My realtor showed me three of them in that area. Two of them we barely got through two rooms and left due to the bad condition of the homes, inside and out. There were several homes that also needed more attention to upkeep to the home and the yards as we drive through the area; however, I do consider it an acceptable neighborhood.

We also looked in the Churchill area, but settled on Castle Hills Forest. It is smaller neighborhood which is good. We have ridden our bikes throughout the neighborhood and walked a large part of the area and are very pleased with this neighborhood. Neighbors are friendly and some important things we have observed are............no consistently barking dogs, well-kept alley-ways,
well-kept yards, minimum traffic, wonderful access to so many areas of San Antonio. None of the negative comments about Castle Hills Forest concern me, as I live here and am VERY happy with this neighborhood.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:20 AM

We just sold our house in Churchill Forest. This has been a great part of town to live in - we will miss it.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,045 times
Default Unit 1 litigation

I live in CHF and saw a sign at the beginning of the subdivision about a Unit 1 litigation meeting. Can anyone tell me what that is about?

Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 PM

I think it has something to do with the property on your right as you drive in. The owner wants to build on it and I think there was a lawsuit over it. Call up one of the HOA members and see if they can shed more light on the subject.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,931 times
I have been told that CHF promotes a sub division wide garage sale, If this is true when will it happen? WRJ

Old 08-27-2008, 05:14 PM

I checked out the website at : www.castlehillsforest.org

Sept. 20th with a raindate of Sept. 27th

Time to get those garages cleaned out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio