U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 01:32 PM

175 posts, read 240,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
You seem to discount that we also have the lowest cost of living. You need to look at the WHOLE picture. People here are paid less and they also spend less to be here.
Not exactly. Housing may be less, but utilities, groceries, clothing, gas, transportation, etc, are generally in line with the rest of the country, so therefore, on average, San Antonians experience a lower quality of life relative to other metros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 01:44 PM

810 posts, read 1,245,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
Not exactly. Housing may be less, but utilities, groceries, clothing, gas, transportation, etc, are generally in line with the rest of the country, so therefore, on average, San Antonians experience a lower quality of life relative to other metros.
Well, it all depends on the meaning of "quality of life." What is "quality of life" anyway? If it means having materialistic things and able to spend $ on things that satisfy ourselves, it seems temporary. I think someone can still have a great "quality of life" even if they are poor. But to your point, yes, San Antonio generally does not have the "nice" and "modern" feel of the other metro cities like Dallas, Austin, and Houston and I am not sure why. I think partly it has to do with the people here want to keep that "small town" feel. I personally would love to see more urban development here in SA and it is happening but very slowly.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 PM

175 posts, read 240,497 times
I'm referring to quality of life in purely socioeconomic terms.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:50 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,524,184 times
I'm confused... if you wanted to live in a large corporate town... why the hell did you move to San Antonio? There are so many places to live that offer such "superior" lifestyles. I mean WTF.. this has been a town since (correct me if I'm wrong) 1691. If it is not what you want it to be at all, then it is more than likely not going to be.

What we have going for us here is livability. It's an awesome place to live... and for what we have economically, it works for us. Most importantly, there are several people who are perfectly happy here making the best with what we have.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:24 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,941,393 times
I just got back from an airshow in Seguin. I talked to some "rich pilots" that are not from Texas. EVERYONE wants to move here. It's crazy. Honestly, not one person mentioned the economy. It's something about the lifestyle here in SA and the surrounding areas that people love. Perhaps it's because it's slower.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 PM

810 posts, read 1,245,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonySA View Post
I'm confused... if you wanted to live in a large corporate town... why the hell did you move to San Antonio? There are so many places to live that offer such "superior" lifestyles. I mean WTF.. this has been a town since (correct me if I'm wrong) 1691. If it is not what you want it to be at all, then it is more than likely not going to be.

What we have going for us here is livability. It's an awesome place to live... and for what we have economically, it works for us. Most importantly, there are several people who are perfectly happy here making the best with what we have.
There is no need to get defensive here. My reason for moving here is none of your business and trust me, if I don’t have to be here, I wouldn’t. I am trying to let SA grow on me but it hasn't yet. Every place has its good side and bad side and I agree that it is all about your perspective. I think we are way off subject from the original post.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:07 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,524,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
There is no need to get defensive here.
Stating my opinion is getting defensive?
Quote:
My reason for moving here is none of your business and trust me, if I don’t have to be here, I wouldn’t.
I agree, it is none of my business. That's why I never asked why you moved here.
Quote:
I am trying to let SA grow on me but it hasn't yet. Every place has its good side and bad side and I agree that it is all about your perspective.
I really hope it does grow on you. If not, that is fine too. We're all different.
Quote:
I think we are way off subject from the original post.
That happened long long ago when a negative spin was spun on a "thumbs up" SA Economy thread.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:59 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,472,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
Totally agree. SA is performing well because there is nothing to lose here in the first place. LOL. I'm sorry but SA needs to step it up if it wants to be on the map like Dallas, Austin, and Houston. Let's get rid of that "small town" thinking here and bring in more corporate companies to help ramp up the SA market.
You do know SA has more corporate companies than one of the cities you listed. I wish people were more knowledge before they thought up a clever "new" way to bash SA.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Clearly you've got no clue the difference between fact and opinion. The average salaries in most fields in San Antonio are lower comparable to most other metro areas, and that ranking proves it.
So you say they're lower and I say they're lower than average and you decided to go on a semantics rant because?

Look, yes SA's salary's are lower, no one has denied that. But our cost of living more than makes up for when you adjust. It doesn't for many of the other cities that have higher salaries.

Quote:
Let me guess, that ranking and any other which goes against your inflated view of the city is "bogus", right?
Where did I call it bogus?

Last edited by lemonfresh; 06-20-2009 at 11:34 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Utilities: Well, I'm sure you can prove this. But I'll let the links below answer that.

Groceries/Food: Same as above.

Clothing: Well yeah, that's generally not considered part of any cost of living criteria.

Gas: As of right this moment the national average is $2.69. The Texas average is $2.55. San Antonio's average is $2.51

So SA's gas price is 18 cents less than the national average and 4 cents less than the state's average. Yeah, in line.

Transportation: Same as the first two.

But here's the crazy part. You can accept the salary ranking as the gospel truth and use it to bash SA but find the cost of living ranking to be fluff and use it to dismiss SA. God, you're something alright.

What can you come up with these links?
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Dallas is 24% more expensive than San Antonio.
Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Housing is 69% more expensive in Dallas.

Houston is 14% more expensive than San Antonio.
Housing is 38% more expensive in Houston.

Orlando is 25% more expensive than San Antonio.
Housing is 80% more expensive in Orlando.

Charlotte is 21% more expensive than San Antonio.
Housing is 68% more expensive in Charlotte.

Phoenix is 39% more expensive than San Antonio.
Housing is 128% more expensive in Phoenix.

Cleveland is 4% more expensive than San Antonio.
Utilities are the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Utilities are 52% more expensive in Cleveland.

Atlanta is 49% more expensive than San Antonio.
Housing is 187% more expensive in Atlanta.

Denver is 39% more expensive than San Antonio.
Housing is 112% more expensive in Denver.

Salt Lake City is 30% more expensive than San Antonio.
Housing is 102% more expensive in Salt Lake City.

Sacramento is 47% more expensive than San Antonio.
Health is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Health is 76% more expensive in Sacramento.

Milwaukee is 11% more expensive than San Antonio.
Utilities are the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
Utilities are 51% more expensive in Milwaukee.

I purposely left out the obvious cities like LA, NY, SF, etc.

I can keep going but I hate broken records.

P.S.

I love how all the comparisons seem to be "in line" with one another.

Last edited by Yac; 09-29-2009 at 06:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or