Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 05:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3rtigo View Post
The truth is that if you're in medical, military, or gov't-related fields, you have it good. Everyone else, not so much.
That's not really the truth. I'm in none of those, and I'm doin' just fine.

But, whatever helps you sleep at night, as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:58 AM

278 posts, read 693,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
That's not really the truth. I'm in none of those, and I'm doin' just fine.

But, whatever helps you sleep at night, as they say.
ok, so the tally so far is one doing well, 1.5 million not so much. be realistic. have you seen the number of foreclosures, houses for sale, unemployment rates, people at loan stores, people at pawn shops? i know everyone loves this city, but seriously, the economy is not good outside of those 3 fields. even mcdonalds and starbucks arent hiring.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,365,125 times
Quote:
ok, so the tally so far is one doing well, 1.5 million not so much. be realistic. have you seen the number of foreclosures, houses for sale, unemployment rates, people at loan stores, people at pawn shops? i know everyone loves this city, but seriously, the economy is not good outside of those 3 fields. even mcdonalds and starbucks arent hiring.
You forgot about the people on crack. I was in an antique store the other day when a young man and his girlfriend came in wanting to sell his watch. The owner looked at it and asked what he wanted for it. He said he paid $600,000 for it. The owner played it off and said she didn't deal in jewelry in that price range. He said ...."cool man". He wasn't hurtin either. He had a nice set of wheels and lots of other "jewelry" on.

There's another industry that's doing pretty well!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, I'm the only one doing well. OK.

You're not happy unless everyone is as miserable as you.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:24 AM

80 posts, read 288,716 times
Well, if it makes any difference, we relocated HERE, to SA, because my hubby could get a job. He was laid off at the end of last September and job-searched around the country for five months before landing an SA job. Most of the interviews he had came out of Texas.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:29 AM

325 posts, read 781,083 times
Quote:
The truth is that if you're in medical, military, or gov't-related fields, you have it good. Everyone else, not so much.
I'm not in those fields and I am doing well.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,800 times
Quote:
1.5 million? What's that number supposed to represent?

And with any SA basher, even through good/positive news they find a way to bash the city.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:33 AM

10 posts, read 25,956 times
Quote:
You're comparing highly skilled labor to unskilled and if, like you, we're going off anecdotes: three of my friends got jobs in tech fields.

I think we're ok, for now.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:34 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
I know that overall our economy is better than the rest of the country, but there are definitely people being laid off, taking cuts in pay and hours, etc.

While I'm doing ok and am not overly worried about losing my job, I will say that you're crazy if you think that it would be impossible for you (general you) to get laid off, unless you own your own business.

Also, my husband got laid off in February. Anyone looking for an HR generalist person?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:36 AM

I would never think I'm invincible, but I said I'm doing well. This guy acts like we're all gonna die tomorrow, because obviously San Antonio is a horrible place to be.
Same old song and dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio