U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:12 AM

5,635 posts, read 13,982,312 times

Advertisements

In a way, people need to seriously curb back some of their excessive water usage. May be a blessing in disguise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:03 AM

816 posts, read 1,480,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
Yes, it has been examined. A solution was to catch the rain runoff during the wet years and pump it over the aquifer and allow for recharge.
Many in the area of catchment were incited to believe that it would become their drinking water and the plan scrapped.[Racial and geographic divisiveness at its best.]
Ok... just for clarification, are you referring to the Applewhite reservoir on the southside (where people did express these fears), or to the idea of recharge dams on the northside. I'm just asking because I had not heard (pleading ignorance, here) that it was the residents opposed to the recharge dams, just the developers.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,765,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Ok... just for clarification, are you referring to the Applewhite reservoir on the southside (where people did express these fears), or to the idea of recharge dams on the northside. I'm just asking because I had not heard (pleading ignorance, here) that it was the residents opposed to the recharge dams, just the developers.
I was referring to Applewhite. A long time friend who is on the Aquifer board has for decades been preaching catchment and repumping the trapped water back over the recharge zone.[Note: the half life of a drop of water hitting the recharge zone is several years before reaching the Edwards Aquifer].
Much of the Applewhite hysteria was misplaced and turned into a geographic battle rather than well thought out. The northside recharge catchment lakes do have a much different set of opponents, the developers. Opposition and no solution with either thought.
All the while, a drive out 281 by any long term resident reveals greater stress on the aquifer by additional users and the removing of land on recharge area with no solution in sight.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:56 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,745,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The restrictions are intended to protect the endangered snail darter that lives in the aquifer. Paying more to use as much water as we want might help the bottom line at SAWS and Bexar Met, but it won't keep the snail darter's habitat from going dry.
omgosh....there goes the iced tea prices again!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:02 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,745,536 times
We should start a grass roots movement to discourage washing our cars...with the exception of the windows ...for safety of course! We could let them get so dirty that we can write messages in the soot and advertise we're saving water AND money! KEEP YOUR CAR DIRTY!

j/k...it's still a free country I think...don't bash me if you love a clean car.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:11 PM

14,628 posts, read 31,230,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
We should start a grass roots movement to discourage washing our cars...with the exception of the windows ...for safety of course! We could let them get so dirty that we can write messages in the soot and advertise we're saving water AND money! KEEP YOUR CAR DIRTY!

j/k...it's still a free country I think...don't bash me if you love a clean car.
I love a clean car, and a nice, lush green lawn, but those things should be secondary to making sure our kids and their kids have enough water to drink. I pass people in my neighborhood every day who are standing outside with their hoses and the water is running into the street. I would say something, but they're my neighbors. I thought the water po-po were supposed to be out writing tickets???? Or do they expect me to call and rat them out?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,717,838 times
Snitches get stitches.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:25 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,175,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
I was referring to Applewhite. A long time friend who is on the Aquifer board has for decades been preaching catchment and repumping the trapped water back over the recharge zone.[Note: the half life of a drop of water hitting the recharge zone is several years before reaching the Edwards Aquifer].
Much of the Applewhite hysteria was misplaced and turned into a geographic battle rather than well thought out. The northside recharge catchment lakes do have a much different set of opponents, the developers. Opposition and no solution with either thought.
All the while, a drive out 281 by any long term resident reveals greater stress on the aquifer by additional users and the removing of land on recharge area with no solution in sight.
Is this why we have that huge eyesore at 1604 & Culebra? We just drove by there, and it is amazing how much the creek bed has been leveled. No, we couldn't wheel our Jeeps down there; but they can bulldoze everything in sight and it's OK...

And just where exactly is all that rainwater going to go? That creek just runs to Cathedral Rock, and I don't see where it will recharge the aquifer.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,233,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I thought the water po-po were supposed to be out writing tickets???? Or do they expect me to call and rat them out?
They'll investigate if someone reports it, but they can only ticket what they witness.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:03 PM

269 posts, read 669,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I love a clean car, and a nice, lush green lawn, but those things should be secondary to making sure our kids and their kids have enough water to drink. I pass people in my neighborhood every day who are standing outside with their hoses and the water is running into the street. I would say something, but they're my neighbors. I thought the water po-po were supposed to be out writing tickets???? Or do they expect me to call and rat them out?
*imagine Bowie's post here*

it is really obvious where I live, very green lawns and water running down the street from car washing of course they must know something the rest of us don't

Last edited by lovinSA; 06-27-2009 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: cannot mullit quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio