U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 AM

317 posts, read 1,610,865 times

Advertisements

I've been mainly hand watering since we moved here 3 years ago. It is rare if ever that we use a sprinkler- the only time we did was after planting Bermuda sod in our backyard. We have a garden we water every few days, but my grass I hand water thoroughly once a week so it doesn't croak. My yard is small, and I planted mostly drought tolerant plants in my front yard, so I don't have to mess with it too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:36 AM

6 posts, read 20,364 times
What about using a soaker hose? That way you can conserve water but still deliver it to your lawn or rose bushes. They don't cost much and cover a fairly large area, or you can buy two and connect them I think. I remember times back in the '80's when I lived in SA at times we had water restrictions, and I think if you were caught watering during times when not allowed it was a pretty stiff fine.

If I were in that situation where I had a water restriction I'd check to see if soaker hoses were allowed. You can adjust the flow from just a few drops to a regular minimal flow without actually using large quantities of water at a time. Worth a try. Here in South Central Oklahoma we've had droughts too. Fortunately in the early to mid Spring this year we did get a good rainfall, but just before that we went through about three of four months or more of no rainfall either. We have a well so in droughts I have to be careful about not using a whole lot of water to decrease the danger of the well going dry. I've got a soaker hose and use it when the weather is very, very dry.

Good luck, I pray that you get some really good rains in the very near future.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,764,873 times
For those new to San Antonio, read about Applewhite Reservoir and the pumping of the runoff water caught there over the Edwards Recharge Zone to minimize the off rainfall years' going down as is now the case..

The southside was charged up that this would be their water supply and charged racial politics. This was not true, but no one ever accuses the city leaders having a long range vision for the city.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:44 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,341,816 times
Let's not forget one very important conclusion in all of this 'conservation mode' chatter that Stage 3 brings us to:

No one even actually knows how large/deep/plentiful the Edwards Aquifer is! It's documented that geologists think they know, but it likely to be much larger than expected. This isn't an excuse to WASTE water, but it's surely cause to settle down and realize that we won't be running dry anytime soon. There's plenty of water to go around and, as it stands, will be for generations to come.

All of this 'stage' business is hoopla. It's no more a crisis than when the color-coding at airports change from yellow to orange... This is yet another example of why we always must use Google, dig into the situation a bit and never accept illogical things at face value. Trust my local government to tell me the absolute truth? Never.

BN

Old 06-18-2009, 10:24 AM

11 posts, read 30,119 times
Being new to SATX but coming from the high desert I understand the need to conserve water. I do not understand the stage resrtictions. I can only run my effecient auto sprinkler system 1 day per week but I can hand water ALL THE TIME. That makes no sense to me at all. I know I use far more water hand watering than my auto system would use as it is set up now, if I used it every other day.

Also, I dont understand these housing communities and businesses. How they can water almost anytime..water running down drains and across streets...grassy areas soggy with over watering. Is there any monitoring of this at all.

A true restriction would be to take your last year's volume and you MUST reduce usage buy 5%, 10%, 20%.... and if you use over your amount you pay a hefty fine and face your water service being discontinued for a brief period..or..???

What other ideas are out there to help conserve and make sure the burdern of conservation is applied equally across all water users.

OK Im off my soapbox for now!

Old 06-18-2009, 11:13 AM

80 posts, read 303,148 times
I'm with Scuba Steve. . . I dont care if the lawn is green, but I water it enough to let it not die. I do not want to pay to re-sod the entire lawn this fall when the occasional watering now can prevent that.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:30 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,839,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucknutt View Post
A true restriction would be to take your last year's volume and you MUST reduce usage buy 5%, 10%, 20%.... and if you use over your amount you pay a hefty fine and face your water service being discontinued for a brief period..or..???
That'd be a little harsh on those of us that are already operating at 1/3 of the neighborhood average (also half the city average). At some point there's really nowhere else to go.

Is hand watering really a more efficient way to water than a soaker hose or sprinkler system? I think they shouldn't have a problem with leaving a soaker hose out in a pattern on the yard. It seems like a better use of water than me standing around in the evening with a garden hose and nozzle. It seems to run off a lot when I do that.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:41 AM

284 posts, read 943,602 times
The once a week restrictions in Stage 2 includes watering with a sprinker, irrigation system, and soaker hose.

Years ago we used a soaker hose for a period of time until we got the next water bill. Using a soaker hose uses a lot of water. Our bill went way up. We may have left it on for hours and hours--I don't remember--it was hubby's project.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 AM

284 posts, read 943,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
And I'm not about to let my 40 rose bushes go thirsty.
I'm usually not a "forward thinker", but when I think about conservation, I think about my kids and my future grandchildren. To me it is a matter of not wanting to let my children and their children go thirsty.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:10 PM

11 posts, read 30,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
That'd be a little harsh on those of us that are already operating at 1/3 of the neighborhood average (also half the city average). At some point there's really nowhere else to go.
Well if it is based on YOUR actual usage for June of 08 then I cant see where it would be unfair. Of course there were water hogs last year that had very high usage..but 10% reduction is a true reduction if applied equally to all..not what we have now. I use as much water now as I used last week when we were in stage 1..i just water at a different time. I do not see where this forces and conservation on our part.

OK 2 cents and $5.00 will get you a Starbucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio