U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 12:48 PM

323 posts, read 743,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Is that for the "extra big one" after eating a dozen Krystals?

Never know when it's gonna clog!
That's the one, and let me tell ya, they come in handy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 12:49 PM

323 posts, read 743,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Top secret, quadruple-redundant sewer cleanout system!
Actually, it is my new teleport system I just had installed...

Last edited by franklin9150; 06-19-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 12:52 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
If you plant native then you can let them go dormant in the summer and they will spring back in the fall when the rains come.

I have native bermuda and plenty of native trees and rose bushes. The first few years I gave them extra but now they are years old and they make do on their own.

I do water around the house though when it gets bad to prevent any foundation problems.

LOL..at work I tell people I'm going to water the house tonight

Old 06-19-2009, 07:45 PM

656 posts, read 1,687,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post

Smitty, I do certainly hope that climate change is not responsible for our changes. What frightens me is that my friends who grew up in SA in the 1970s told me that they never even needed air conditioning most of the time because it was much cooler then on average. They would sleep comfortably with the windows open at night. Weeks of 100+ days were not even remotely the norm in past decades. With the exception of 07 (I think) they've been the norm for the past four years.
Interesting question, but it also needs to be looked at as why were the 70s cooler than average. If you look at record high data for June many of the records were set in the late 1940s and 1910s at 100+. It seem there were significant periods before large carbon emissions where this area strung together temperatures of 100+...

I did look at temperature data for the 70, June highs were typically in the low 90s. Hardly "don't need air conditioner" weather by today's standards...

Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,363,474 times
I sounds like your talking about sewer cleanouts? If so have you seen the gray ones with a spring pressure cap? If there is ever a stoppage on the SAWS side the top of the clean out cap rises and the sewage will flow onto the ground and not into your home.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:09 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,363,474 times
For those of you who dont' think SAWS is taking the resrictions seriously BEWARE! This morning I called the office and over 1000 water waste calls came in yesterday. As you know SAWS may or may not, more than likely may not issue you a warning. There has been enough media coverage so not knowing is not a good excuse. I was told that many people say that they don't watch TV or read the paper. I won't work folks. A ticket will cost you $50 to $1000 possibly more. Its up to the COSA Municipal Court Judge.
Please remember hired staff which includes off duty SAPD Officers and COSA Park Rangers are out 24 /7 .
Some of the information that has been pased onto me is the Box Storers with Garden Centers, Fast Food Joints, Several HEB'S, and Shopping Malls are among the worst violators.

Not to repeat myself but you can keep your yard alive and looking good by watering once each week or hand held hose watering 4 times each week. I water mine by hand (only because of slight breezes) between 4 and 6 in the morning. Remember to mow your grass no less than 2 1/2 to 3".

The Edwards is dropping enough that a local Water Well Pump Installer who I talk to several times a week has lowered five pumps this week. These private domestic wells are in the HWY 90W / Potranco / Talley Rd area.

Although most people think it's solely up to SAWS to catch these violators your help is needed. Call 704 -SAWS.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,374,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I sounds like your talking about sewer cleanouts? If so have you seen the gray ones with a spring pressure cap? If there is ever a stoppage on the SAWS side the top of the clean out cap rises and the sewage will flow onto the ground and not into your home.
That way you get free water and fertilizer for your lawn at the same time!

Old 06-20-2009, 06:28 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,764,429 times
This is getting way over overblown.

My painter was repainting one of my wife's properties. He was rinsing his brush out at the water faucet when a city car pulls up and a "city official" informed him in a loud voice that he would be out of a job in Stage 111. In the ensuing phone call, I asked my painter why he was driving around during the day spewing emissions. The stooge said he was exempt.

I told my painter where the city official could stick his carbon footprint.

Last edited by WilGar; 06-20-2009 at 06:36 AM..

Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,743,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
It's my view that the climate change scientists are beyond the point of speculation. In my original post I was referring to wanting to hear speculation from garden variety meteorologists.

Smitty, I do certainly hope that climate change is not responsible for our changes. What frightens me is that my friends who grew up in SA in the 1970s told me that they never even needed air conditioning most of the time because it was much cooler then on average. They would sleep comfortably with the windows open at night. Weeks of 100+ days were not even remotely the norm in past decades. With the exception of 07 (I think) they've been the norm for the past four years.
Hello....I have to go back to what Anthony said about LONG climate changes. This summer is very hot early. It's certainly not the norm, but not off the charts yet...nor a long range change.
Having also grown up in the 70's, there is no way we slept through the summer nights without AC. Didn't happen. The reason we're hitting 100 is because of the drought. If we had normal rainfall, we'd be in the mid to high 90's....but then it would be much more humid and even more miserable. THAT's even harder to sleep with at night....hot humidity....and that's what it was in the summer in the 70's.

Keep in mind, early Texans built homes with a "breezeway" design, or a "shotgun" floorplan. Those older houses were designed with LOTS of windows and screen doors to make use of prevailing breezes because AC didn't exist. They also had sleeping porches. The wealthy just left town and went to Europe for the summer.

If you did your research, you'd also find out that the population of Texas and other hot areas saw a huge insurgence after the advent of air conditioning.

Just go back 10 years and you can see the weather patterns have been wet and dry. 1n 1998 we had tons of rain and flooding...again in 02 and again in 07. This summer is a scorcher. That's Texas weather.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:21 AM

4,796 posts, read 13,743,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
Thanks, it's only 6 months old. I hate those things, they should have but them somewhere else...oh well.
Well...when the water restrictions are lifted, you can plant a bush in front of them and water it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio