U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 AM

216 posts, read 1,624,011 times

Advertisements

Ditto for people who stay at home!!!! I also have done both but chose to stay home because you can never get that time back. I also understand that some don't have a choice. I have had my children in centers and home care. I also went to school for Early Childhood Education. All centers should have a drop in policy I would drop by at different times if at all possible. Also ask many questions do observation if the person objects this is sometimes a big sign. There are many great home providers with excellent skills for example I had a provider who was top notch she had staff at home took the kids on trips had many extra activites and didn't have too many kids as some of the centers had. Therefore again it is choice. Just check up on your child as often as possible make sure they clean and the environment is clean. Some days come a little early if you can. Now if you really want to stay home I also worked from home doing jobs such as coding, customer service and others when I was able. It was not the money I was use to but my joy was being there for my children you can never get the time back. My son tells me now he is 7 and my daughter 13 we are so happy that you were home nothing like seeing the smile when they come home from school and they see you. Just look at all of your options. Don't feel bad if you can or cannot stay as I told my kids when I was working afterwork was their time and I took as much time as possible with them but when I was able to stay home which was the majority of their baby and toddler years I did. I also work at home now they need you even more when they become teens or preteens. But that is just my choice for a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:38 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,142,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojokitty View Post
Sapphire, I can't rep ya-gotta spread the love some, but...here's a public rep for your reply! I'm a SAHM, and even though I'm tired and complaining about being stressed (due to other things in my life today), I still appreciate everyday that I can stay at home with little one. I've been able to experience so much with him. Thanks for sticking up for those of us who choose this for our family! We don't always get a good response from people when we tell them that staying at home is what we are choosing to do.
We just need to re-define "having it all"--ugh, that whole era of yuppie-ism and getting the most toys, it's sickening to me now and I am so hopeful that the generation coming up realizes what's important. Yes, I know single moms have to work, but going to work so you can go to Paris next summer and drive that new Escalade......yikes. I know now, your kids are so much better off running thru the sprinkler and walking to HEB with you. My oldest son realizes that and he's 21, so it gives me hope.

nikip--you are so right about the pre-teens and teens needing you more than ever. They may say they don't want ya there, but they do. Nothing builds confidence like being able to count on your parents.

Moki--you're doing a fabulous job.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac12 View Post
I don't understand the reasoning ? Why would a licensed, trained staffed daycare scare you? I 'm not trying to be sarcastic just trying to understand. Some of the new ones have cameras in the rooms where you an watch your baby during the day. When you hear some of the horror stories that go on with these babysitters it makes me cringe... You never know what is actually happening with your child because you're not there. Just curious...
i agree, I do think if you can find a good private home for the right price where the care giver or gives have CPR training and good recs it might be a little less stressful, but I think child care centers are getting a bad rap. Most are reliable, offer a good product, care about the little ones and offer good activities.

Nita

Old 06-21-2009, 02:03 PM

71,682 posts, read 83,258,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I understand ocgirl's fears. Trained, licensed, staffed, certified, whatever, doesn't always matter. No one, NO ONE will care for your child the same way you will. If you're having doubts, stay home with your kid. I wish I had been smarter about it--I'm speaking from experience. Thank God, nothing bad ever happened to my kids, but I missed out on the routine, mundane little parts of their lives and I can never get that back. Stay home if you can and don't let the guilt kill you.
I agree you did miss out, I think that is the sad part about returning to work, that being said, I don't think the kids suffer at all.

Nita

Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 PM

94 posts, read 201,082 times
Why don't you want to get registered through the state and be listed with them? They could probably provide you with a lot of helpful information that you are looking for such as finding clients, using the USDA food program etc.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:16 PM

80 posts, read 256,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee4me View Post
Why don't you want to get registered through the state and be listed with them? They could probably provide you with a lot of helpful information that you are looking for such as finding clients, using the USDA food program etc.

If I were thinking I would go for full-time, many children, long-term childcare, I'd get licensed. However, we just moved here and I really only want to work with one family. I am CPR certified. When my son was attending daycares, the two he attended weren't licensed with the state of CO and we loved them. Being licensed didn't matter to me--it was much more than that. There are some CRAPPY licensed places out there (not trying to knock anyone that is--it could some day be a real possibility for me). Just not in the cards right now for me.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 PM

237 posts, read 531,274 times
You can post ads on sitter city or care.com

Old 08-27-2010, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgirl79 View Post
Not sure where else to post this, so if it needs moved, have at!

I'm a SAHM with an Early Childhood degree that is thinking of doing in-home childcare. I only want to care for one family's children and would be FANTASTIC for someone! However, Craigslist is a joke! I threw something on there yesterday and it got buried by 20 new posts in just hours.

Besides the fact that I can spell, I want more to stand out somewhere. Ideas on where to advertise? I'm NOT licensed with the state of TX. We just moved her from CO so all my credentials are there, so the state webpage isn't an option.

TIA!!
I need some one to take care of my daughter after school and some nights. I sometimes work late due to my job and its not all the time. I don't get out of work until 6 so if you are interested let me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or