U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 AM

897 posts, read 2,612,870 times

Advertisements

I have never tried terro, so I can't comment on that. I do use boric acid in strategic places, though. You have to keep up with it, because the ants seem to never really go away. I think I read that if you have pharaoh ants in the house, you probably have more than one colony. I noticed that we have ants that come from different wall plugs in the kitchen, so I assume that they come from different colonies. I use the boric acid around these guys, but I think I'll try the baits on the website in this post and see if they work any better.

Call several exterminators and see what their solution to pharaoh ants are and how much it would cost. Compare that to the cost of boric acid and the cost to your nerves at seeing ants in the house.

Boric acid is a cheap way to control your ant problem. You can make baits from common household items. Check out this link:

Controlling Indoor Pest Ants with Homemade Baits - Bexar County Extension (http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/IPM/Household/F1/homeantbait.htm - broken link)

Another website with more solutions that are wallet friendly:

Eco friendly ant control | HOMEMAKERS

Diatomaceous earth can be spread around the perimeter of your house to keep out bugs, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 10:04 AM

317 posts, read 1,606,067 times
We have had problems with ants before. I use the Bayer Ant spray in the blue bottle at Lowe's- costs less than 5 bucks a bottle, and works perfect. We sprayed the outside perimeter, then the inside perimeter, caulked any spots where we saw them coming through- and viola, no more ants. We have used the Bayer spray for years in various places we lived (here, Va, Oklahoma, etc.) and it has always helped with whatever insect problem we had. I told my mom and brother about it, and they swear by it too.
If it doesn't work, you should look through the phone book coupons, Valpack, or something, for a low cost/free estimate from an exterminator to see what exactly they think the problem is, and what it would cost to manage it.
Good luck.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 12,231 times
Default i can help

use molasses and caynne pepper

Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 PM

216 posts, read 1,623,043 times
Do you use the Bayer Spray outside as well does it only control the ants you see are outside ants as well to not come in ?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:25 PM

418 posts, read 1,111,169 times
Have you bought ant killer liquid concentrate, and sprayed it around the entire exterior/perimeter of your house?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,687,259 times
By the time you get done trying all of these "home made remedies" and sprays...you could've had yourself an exterminator.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:57 PM

4,080 posts, read 6,079,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
By the time you get done trying all of these "home made remedies" and sprays...you could've had yourself an exterminator.
And with that a goodnight !!!!!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:39 AM

269 posts, read 667,867 times
My .02 and it usually works... when you water around your house, do it early, very early if you can
since you would rather do it yourself make sure when you treat do the whole house at the same time we had a neighbor who refused to treat his area of a duplex, so we found these things to really help especially when we extended our spray a few feet to their wall

Old 06-28-2009, 11:44 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,811 posts, read 33,101,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Assuming she takes your advice, after paying the exterminator, she might not be able to pay the rent. Maybe she could come stay at your house?

Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,687,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Assuming she takes your advice, after paying the exterminator, she might not be able to pay the rent. Maybe she could come stay at your house?
If she took my advice before trying these solutions...she probably would be out less money. Then, she could've taken me out to dinner with the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio