Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times

Advertisements

Is the summer a decent time of the year to get a new roof put on around here? On one hand it's not raining and it won't be for a while now. But on the other hand, it's like 150 degrees up there and won't that distract the workers because they'll be focused on getting done so they can come down from the heat?

I'm trying to decide between doing it now vs doing it 3 months from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Is the summer a decent time of the year to get a new roof put on around here? On one hand it's not raining and it won't be for a while now. But on the other hand, it's like 150 degrees up there and won't that distract the workers because they'll be focused on getting done so they can come down from the heat?

I'm trying to decide between doing it now vs doing it 3 months from now.
3 months from now it will still be 150 degrees up there...what's the difference? You gotta go deep into October for cooler weather that's going to make a difference.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:36 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Buy stock in Budweiser, then contact the roofing company and git r done.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 PM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
I think roofers are pretty much conditioned to working in extreme heat.

I've only had to have a roof replaced once since becoming a homeowner. I got estimates and signed a contract with one of them in the spring (April, if I remember right). The ensuing weeks were very rainy, and they couldn't get to my job until July. To make matters worse, it was a hot tar-and-gravel roof, but I think the roofers need dry weather more than cool temperatures.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 AM

14 posts, read 55,499 times
as a construction worker for 20+ years, i can tell you that the best time to get it done is before it starts coming apart on you. DUH!! (LOL) as far as the temps go, many roofers will change to a morning/evening "double-shift" method when the temp. reaches a certain point. Don't worrry about it. Your roofer, if he's worth a hoot, will make sure it gets done in due time, and will make sure their men are taken care of.

P.S. If I was still living in S.A., I'd be happy to do it for ya.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninSAstuckinGA View Post
as a construction worker for 20+ years, i can tell you that the best time to get it done is before it starts coming apart on you. DUH!! (LOL) as far as the temps go, many roofers will change to a morning/evening "double-shift" method when the temp. reaches a certain point. Don't worrry about it. Your roofer, if he's worth a hoot, will make sure it gets done in due time, and will make sure their men are taken care of.

P.S. If I was still living in S.A., I'd be happy to do it for ya.
Good to know they can take the heat.

Sad thing is, the roof itself could take another year or two, but there's a defect around the chimney... probably from when the place was new. Water has been seeping in and it's gotten some of the wood at a corner behind the fireplace. My guess is the flashing was damaged or not put in correctly; I wasn't able to make it leak there this weekend.

The inspector would've caught it immediately last May if he'd opened the little door to access the gas line and looked either straight up or down.

I'm about at the point where I start asking who's good and who's not. About how much do they typically charge per square foot? I want to get ridge venting put in at the same time but that shouldn't be much more.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:21 AM

337 posts, read 826,430 times
Well, I guess the question should be what kind of roof are you planning on installing?

Remember this if you are installing a composition shingle they are made of asphalt. When it is hot out, the asphalt in the shingle heats up and when people walk on a hot roof, they leave "foot faults" all over the roof.

I would wait until the heat of the summer passes to have it replaced or you will just sacrifice your roof life to damage during installation.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:24 AM

Eek... that's the kind of roof I'm looking at. From running around up there yesterday with a tape measure I estimated the area to be about 28 square. I thought metal roofing was around $700/square installed over existing shingles, so that'd be a bit on the expensive side (close to $20K vs. $10K for asphalt?). Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

If it were in between the two I'd be much more likely to go with a metal roof. Especially if it'd get me a homeowners insurance discount due to being immune from hail claims and bring a slightly higher resale price however many years down the road. I'd really rather go that route, but am not sure if the returns would be there and the upfront costs are unclear.

Last edited by scuba steve; 06-22-2009 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 AM

278 posts, read 693,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Eek... that's the kind of roof I'm looking at. From running around up there yesterday with a tape measure I estimated the area to be about 28 square. I thought metal roofing was around $700/square installed over existing shingles, so that'd be a bit on the expensive side (close to $20K vs. $10K for asphalt?). Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

If it were in between the two I'd be much more likely to go with a metal roof. Especially if it'd get me a homeowners insurance discount due to being immune from hail claims and bring a slightly higher resale price however many years down the road. I'd really rather go that route, but am not sure if the returns would be there and the upfront costs are unclear.
metal is basically double in price, or even a bit more for pre-painted. didnt know they install over the existing roof though. not sure if i like that...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:05 AM

Everything I've read says there's no difference between installing over existing asphalt shingles and removing what's there and installing over the plywood or chipboard. The stuff doesn't weigh a lot and is inert. Somebody down the street from me has one that looks like shingles (unless theirs is concrete maybe). Suppose I could just go ask them about it...

I redid my calculations and gave a little more fudge factor for extra stuff I couldn't safely measure and came up with 30-31 square. That's gotta be at least $20K for metal roofing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio