U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 05:42 PM

11,435 posts, read 16,405,248 times

Advertisements

Despite the fact that school is out for the summer, I still see a considerable number of flashing school zones out and about. I've already reported several of them to 3-1-1 so that they could turn them off. If a cop does happen to cite you for "speeding" in a school zone, is it enforceable since school is officially out? Anybody out there been cited for going regular speed in a school zone this summer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 06:02 PM

3,471 posts, read 17,181,492 times
The sign sread" 20 miles per hour when flashing". I still slow down for them. A cop can give you a ticket because the sign does not say school zone. It's a speed zone. There is summer school in some schools. So I say until they are turned off, slow to 20 and save the hassle fighting it in court.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:38 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,075,540 times
Summer school is in session. Article on when and why lights are flashing at all NEISD campuses is posted at Mind flashing school zones this summer | StoneOakInfo.com. Sounds like even if the school is not hosting summer school, students are being bussed to and from their regular campus to summer school.Pretty confident you would lose any argument for speeding in school zone...

Old 06-25-2009, 08:00 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,935,088 times
I saw on the news that the lights will likely continue to flash even after summer school is over so that we (drivers) remain aware of school zones.

I think they're just too lazy to figure out how/when to flip the switch that turns them off and on.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:06 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,302,014 times
Taft HS had theirs turned off for a couple of weeks but this week they are back on again.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:12 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,748,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I saw on the news that the lights will likely continue to flash even after summer school is over so that we (drivers) remain aware of school zones.

I think they're just too lazy to figure out how/when to flip the switch that turns them off and on.
Unbelievable! The light flashing when school is out makes us less likely to be more aware when school is actually in. When I was much younger and icy conditions existed, smudge pots were placed on bridges to make the driver MUCH more vigilant. Now a sign is effected at the start of potential ice season and stays in view for the entire icing season. Most of us never see them since they are always out.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 AM

6,115 posts, read 8,571,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Taft HS had theirs turned off for a couple of weeks but this week they are back on again.
Does Taft have summer school going on? That may be why they were off for a while and then back on.

The location I was complaining about in another thread had theirs off today for the first time. It surprised me.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:58 AM

82 posts, read 172,192 times
I'm not going to risk a ticket to find out if they're valid, but fortunately the school zone lights at Clark HS have been off all week.

BTW, here's a link to the thread I created about it a couple weeks ago. It seems excessive to me to have the lights running in the summer, especially when the school seems deserted. Why not allow Darwinism weed out the few summer school students who don't know how to use crosswalks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio