Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 02:53 PM

224 posts, read 689,394 times

Advertisements

We have been going to China Orchid in The Forum, but now it's closed for rennovations. So, we thought we'd try someplace new. So please recommend a good place for us to try. Thanks so much!

I've heard China Sea and China Sun on Naco Perrin are good. Is this true?

Last edited by suemandy23; 06-26-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 03:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
Out of the big buffets, I like CHINA SEA. It's not quite as good as it used to be, but still consisitantly pretty good. I haven't been in a wahile, but I also liked CHOPSICKS and MR PANDA. I used to like GOLDEN PHOENIX, but it kind of lost it over the years. I cannot recommend CHINA HARBOUR, ASIA BUFFET, or the one at Rolling Oaks mall.

For smaller places, there is a great Thai buffet on Perrin Beitel, but I can never remember the name. The BEAN SPROUT used to be good too.

There used to be great Korean buffets on Harry Wurzbach, Walzem and Nachodoches but they have all closed. BTW, if anyone can suggest other good Korean or Vietnamese bufets, please let me know!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 PM

I read in earlier posts that China Sea is dirty? Is this true? I've read lots of good reviews on Chopsticks, do they have a pretty good selection? China Orchid, the one we went to sometimes was kinda dirty, that may be why they are rennovating. Any other suggestions folks? Please and thank you!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemandy23 View Post
I read in earlier posts that China Sea is dirty? Is this true? I've read lots of good reviews on Chopsticks, do they have a pretty good selection? China Orchid, the one we went to sometimes was kinda dirty, that may be why they are rennovating. Any other suggestions folks? Please and thank you!
I have never found CHINA SEA to have especially dirty dining or serving areas, but ALL the big buffets seem to have bad health inspections from time to time, often for non-food issues. CHINA SEA was featured on the news a few months ago, prob in part because it is so well known. I would not hesitate to go there. I would say in general that most large buffets are "cleaner" than the smaller places.

One of the tv station websites, perhaps KSAT, has archives of local health report scores, always fun to read

CHOPSTICKS has a good spread, most all the big buffets have about the same thing; steak/potato, shrimp/crab, "sushi", a mix of Asian, Asian-American and American dishes and a few specialties. I think I recall liking the chicken skewers at CHOPSTICKS.

One place I forgot to mention in my other post is GHENGAS KHAN on Walzem, which has all you can eat Mogolian "BBQ", you pick noodles, veg, meats and sauces and take your bowl to be cooked on a big inverted grill. Some of the big buffets also have this, but GK is better than any I've tried. The 30 year old restuarant could use a remodel, but is always good and a good value. They also have "regular" dishes by the plate on the menu.

Also, there was a place off I-10 (CHINA KING?) that was great when it opened about 10 years ago, with roast duck and wide noodles and good sushi, but I haven't been in a very long time. Others have told me it went downhill...

Old 06-26-2009, 04:29 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
There is a little strip mall place called Siam Buffet right across from Security Hill on Military Drive. The food is very good, place is clean, prices reasonable. While there are not 2,000 items on the buffet like some of these places, I really like it and it is a mom and pop type of establishment.

Could not pay me to go back into the place in the shopping plaza at the corner of 90 and Military again after that expo a year or so ago on their place.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:50 PM

I read Chopsticks is really greasy. Is this true?

Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Chopsticks is pretty greasy. I have only been there once, but there was a urine-y smell in the carpet and hopefully they've gotten that taken care of.

I've been to the one off Bitters, can't think of the name right now--I think it's China Sea, but it was pretty good.

China King ( or whatever one was mentioned at I-10) I think it was Buffet King and it's closed. They had really awesome walnut shrimp. It's been a couple of years since they closed.

Mr. Panda used to be soooooo good years ago. I haven't been there in forever so that's likely to have changed by now.

I have found that it's much more satisfying to me to just go eat Chinese or Thai at a place where you just get one plate of something. That's just me, though, and I don't mean that when Hu Hot is on the horizon. I love Hu Hot. Didn't the first time I went, but I figured out the sauces the next time.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suemandy23 View Post
I wouldnt eat at Chopsticks if they paid me to. Just something about storing their pantry(canned foods) with their chemicals. and the kitchen could use a deep clean.

I once saw (china sea on west) cockroaches swiming along with the shrimp in the sink. Grossed me out.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:47 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Chopsticks is pretty greasy. I have only been there once, but there was a urine-y smell in the carpet and hopefully they've gotten that taken care of.

I've been to the one off Bitters, can't think of the name right now--I think it's China Sea, but it was pretty good.

China King ( or whatever one was mentioned at I-10) I think it was Buffet King and it's closed. They had really awesome walnut shrimp. It's been a couple of years since they closed.

Mr. Panda used to be soooooo good years ago. I haven't been there in forever so that's likely to have changed by now.

I have found that it's much more satisfying to me to just go eat Chinese or Thai at a place where you just get one plate of something. That's just me, though, and I don't mean that when Hu Hot is on the horizon. I love Hu Hot. Didn't the first time I went, but I figured out the sauces the next time.

whoops that was me curse my bladder LOLz :b just kidding

Old 06-27-2009, 08:27 AM

554 posts, read 2,306,870 times
There's one off of Wurzbach in the same shopping center that Big Lots and AutoZone are in that's pretty good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: