Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,325 times

Advertisements

You are correct. Everyone deserves the same respect. I feel that we are a lot more emotional when it comes to a Fallen Member of the Military, Policemen, Firemen, etc. because those individuals have put their lives on the line for us everyday without expecting anything in return. It is a strong sense of grattiude that we feel when one of them dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I work for a major City owned utility usually driving 100-150 miles per day throughout San Antonio and Bexar County. Yesterday I witnessed something in Oklahoma that I have never seen here in San Antonio. (Unless it was for a SAPD Officer and still not to this extent)
My wife and I attended the Funeral for my Aunt in Duncan OK. yesterday morning. Duncan has a population between 30,000 and 40,000 people. The Funeral Processions' route was approx. 4-5 miles which traveled along City Streets and along a Major four lane Highway (US 81) Every vehicle either coming toward the Procession or traveling in the same direction pulled over and stopped on the road. Most people turned their headlights on. People who where outside stopped and paused in over 100 degree weather. On U.S 81 every vehicle driving toward the procession (this is a major four lane highway) stopped in the lane in which they were taveling.
No one knew who was in the Hearse or those that were in the Procession.
I can honestly say that I have never observed this type of respect in San Antonio. I'm not making this statement because this was my Aunt. I have seen people here upset because the have had to stop at a green light. I have seen people cut through a Procession or pass it by. Has "Big City Life" made us forget to respect others?
Don't people here have a few minutes to stop, pull over and wait? This is something that I was taught to do when I started driving at age 16 and I'm now 48.

* I would be foolish and selfish to think that those driving down IH 10 ,35, etc would be expected to stop.
My husband does these things, I never knew people did this kind of thing before I met/married him. I grew up in big cities though, so that could explain it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-27-2009, 01:00 PM

95 posts, read 232,341 times
i agree with the whole fact that some drivers seem to get impatient having to wait when a funeral procession is passing by. it's sad to see that some people hardly have any respect for those people.i will say though... when my aunt passed away almost 4 years ago, while driving to the cemetary from the church, i noticed so many cars pulling over or at least turning on their headlights. the other thing i noticed was that people doing yardwork in their front lawns stopped what they were doing and i also saw some people pull over, get out of their car, take off their hats (if they were wearing one) and place their hand over their heart. it was so touching to me and my family because these people we've never met gave so much respect without even thinking about it. it was really nice to see something like that when it isn't as common as it should be.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:02 PM

57 posts, read 158,991 times
I was always taught not to cut through/break a funeral line, but have never heard of pulling over. (Yes, I'm a New England transplant of 12 yrs thanks to the USN and my hubby who grew up here, and I absolutely love it!)

Just because someone is a TRANSPLANT doesn't mean they don't have any manners or etiquette. In my travels with the Navy in and out of the country, I have come across different customs practiced in one area but not another. Just because things are done differently doesn't make them wrong or rude. If there is an expected behavior, then perhaps the city/state/country should make it an official custom or law and ensure it is widely publicized. Remember, our country was founded on freedom of religion and although it doesn't apply in my case, lack of religion is also part of that freedom. (Those who do not practice religion may not have knowledge of funeral etiquette.)

Most of the processions I've seen and been in have always kept to the right lane with lights on and hang-tags on the rear view mirror that said "Funeral" or something to that effect. When my Dad passed away I remember seeing a woman on a side street stop and make the sign of the cross as we passed, but don't remember seeing anyone pull over/nor expected anyone to pull over. I would expect people to wait to proceed so as to let the procession get in the left lane for a left turn or wait so as not to break the procession.

While most vehicles now come equipped with lights that stay on all the time, if you are observant, it is usually pretty easy to tell that it's a funeral procession.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
I work for a major City owned utility usually driving 100-150 miles per day throughout San Antonio and Bexar County. Yesterday I witnessed something in Oklahoma that I have never seen here in San Antonio. (Unless it was for a SAPD Officer and still not to this extent)
My wife and I attended the Funeral for my Aunt in Duncan OK. yesterday morning. Duncan has a population between 30,000 and 40,000 people. The Funeral Processions' route was approx. 4-5 miles which traveled along City Streets and along a Major four lane Highway (US 81) Every vehicle either coming toward the Procession or traveling in the same direction pulled over and stopped on the road. Most people turned their headlights on. People who where outside stopped and paused in over 100 degree weather. On U.S 81 every vehicle driving toward the procession (this is a major four lane highway) stopped in the lane in which they were taveling.
No one knew who was in the Hearse or those that were in the Procession.
I can honestly say that I have never observed this type of respect in San Antonio. I'm not making this statement because this was my Aunt. I have seen people here upset because the have had to stop at a green light. I have seen people cut through a Procession or pass it by. Has "Big City Life" made us forget to respect others?
Don't people here have a few minutes to stop, pull over and wait? This is something that I was taught to do when I started driving at age 16 and I'm now 48.

* I would be foolish and selfish to think that those driving down IH 10 ,35, etc would be expected to stop.

seems I have to spread the love before rep'n you again- but just wanted to say
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio