Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Did you ever stop to think that maybe, just MAYBE, things are being done in private? That some people don't WANT or NEED recognition for doing a good deed? That maybe some people don't need to call the local news outlet to let them know how AWESOME they are, because LOOK WHAT I DID! You have no idea, do you?
No one is asking for or even cares about the details, but the OP blasted this board because people were naturally suspicious of her failing/refusing to provide any details about this so-called homeless family that is sleeping in a park with an infant. I and some others took offense to that, and so far no one has given any indication that there is any truth to this story.

So maybe you are the one that needs to get an idea, no one cares about the recognition for helping; the prior incident with the disabled veteran was brought up by someone else as a comparison. Well, I said there is no comparison, as I dealt with them and know they are real people who needed help with a small issue.

For those who are so quick to defend the OP and her story, where is the truth? No one has found any news reporting of a family that lost their house. Many have offered to help, but got no reply; and numerous agencies that could provide assistance were given but once again there is no indication that any of these organizations were contacted.

So, can you still not understand why people are skeptical? Clue in!

Last edited by majormadmax; 07-02-2009 at 06:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
No one is asking for or even cares about the details, but the OP blasted this board because people were naturally suspicious of her failing/refusing to provide any details about this so-called homeless family that is sleeping in a park with an infant. I and some others took offense to that, and so far no one has given any indication that there is any truth to this story.

So maybe you are the one that needs to get an idea, no one cares about the recognition for helping; the prior incident with the disabled veteran was brought up by someone else as a comparison. Well, I said there is no comparison, as I dealt with them and know they are real people who needed help with a small issue.

For those who are so quick to defend the OP and her story, where is the truth? No one has found any news reporting of a family that lost their house. Many have offered to help, but got no reply; and numerous agencies that could provide assistance were given but once again there is no indication that any of these organizations were contacted.

So, can you still not understand why people are skeptical? Clue in!
whoa! Back up and start at the beginning. You are getting a few things mixed up. She came here with questions and is trying to find this family IF they exist? Where is the problem? YOU and a few others MADE it a problem by claiming this was BS, as scam, the story was suspect, or that she was ignorant for believing her friend THIRD HAND. I think YOU and a few others put her on the defense, NOT at all the way you painted it above. I think she was right on with her comment about the negative feedback. Why it would bother a tough guy like you is beyond me. It apparently hit home somehow and YOU got defensive. She, on the other hand stepped back and decided to take the high road in spite of the return fire.

It would do the OP a great favor if you stopped harassing her and let her and others that are looking into this, possibly figure out if this story is true and how they can help.

I agree with Sapphire 100% that you are wrong in assuming that NO ONE is helping her. There were a couple of people that joined in your effort to help that young couple that DM'd you...remember? They didn't get on the forum and announce their part. I suppose they didn't feel the need to. Keep that in mind before you cast assumptions on how NO ONE is helping. Like you and others have said....SA has a big heart...so show it!

Last edited by wCat; 07-02-2009 at 10:36 AM..

Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 AM

Just to refresh a few people on her very first sentence.....DFWMOM wrote:

Quote:
Okay, I just read one of my good friends facebook remarks and felt I really needed to see if our good neighbors down in San Antonio might know about this and could do something.
Clearly, she is asking for information. She never asked for a handout or a dime.
Why was this so troubling?

Old 07-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Clearly this discussion is creating hard feelings. I've received multiple requests from members to close this thread. I would prefer to leave it open so the OP can fill in the blanks on this story. Let's just wait for the OP to supply us with more information before posting more replies.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:07 PM

Bowie....pardon me slipping in here. We're looking for the SA poster who is the wife of a SA fire fighter. Can anyone help? I tried a search but I'm not putting in the right combo of letters.

Not every fire is reported in the news. Just trying to find a source...

Old 07-07-2009, 03:16 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,247 times
I emailed the SA Fire Department and I am including part of the email reply I received :

Unfortunately, this situation does not ring any bells at all. If a family has been burned out of their home and had no support system of their own, the fire department personnel on scene would have connected them with a disaster services group like the Red Cross and we even distribute cards with their contact information if a family does not immediately want their services.

If you are ever presented with information like this in the future, please do not hesitate to send people to the Red Cross, so they can receive assistance for shelter, clothing, and food. Their phone number is 210-224-5151 or 800-775-6803.

This reply was from the Public Information Officer
San Antonio Fire Department

I hope this helps to put everyones mind at ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio