U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 PM

674 posts, read 1,617,913 times

Advertisements

I'm re-reading my post and nowhere did I say that she should absolutely be allowed to stay. It's a sticky situation where we can't make an exception for one and not another. But it sucks. I feel for her. It's called having empathy, you should try it. Don't be so defensive or patronizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 PM

452 posts, read 906,077 times
I'm glad you're willing to forgive her for taking a scholarship to which she was not legally entitled. As for empathy, I reserve that for people who are deserving of it. IMO, she is NOT deserving of any empathy. She comes across as arrogant, as if someone is taking away her RIGHT to live in the U.S. She violated the privilege when she didn't take care of her illegal status when she could and now she wants to whine about going to the back of the line and waiting until she can begin the process. Well, boo freakin' hoo.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:28 PM

674 posts, read 1,617,913 times
Well, I can see that this topic makes you very angry. We all have things that drive us crazy and I guess this just isn't the thing that does it for me. Different strokes and all.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,121,491 times
I am curious as to how she was able to obtain a scholarship without proof of citizenship? It's been a while since my undergraduate days; but I remember having to show documentation that I was eligible for the scholarships and grants I received...

Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Well, I can see that this topic makes you very angry. We all have things that drive us crazy and I guess this just isn't the thing that does it for me. Different strokes and all.
Yes, criminals, especially criminals with a sense of entitlement, usually do make me angry.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I am curious as to how she was able to obtain a scholarship without proof of citizenship? It's been a while since my undergraduate days; but I remember having to show documentation that I was eligible for the scholarships and grants I received...
I'd like to know this, as well. St. Mary's University has some explaining to do, IMO.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 AM

6,151 posts, read 8,614,017 times
Quote:
I cannot find anything aside from yahoo Answers and some scattered university websites to cite it, but I believe it probably has to do with being a "lawful non-resident" and having an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification) number which acts as a Social Security number which made her eligible for lots of types of financial aid. I'm no expert and by no means saying this is right though.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:04 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,121,491 times
ashbeeigh

That sounds plausible, as I would hate to think that she received money she wasn't eligible for. All in all, she doesn't sound like a bad person but as I previously stated I only know what the OP posted about here; but when it comes down to the brass tacks she is in this country illegally and her case needs to be handled just like everyone else in that same predicament. I am not saying she needs to be tossed over the border like a drunk out of a bar; but she shouldn’t expect any special consideration because of her extended (and illegal) stay in this country!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 AM

6,151 posts, read 8,614,017 times
Quote:
ashbeeigh

That sounds plausible, as I would hate to think that she received money she wasn't eligible for. All in all, she doesn't sound like a bad person but as I previously stated I only know what the OP posted about here; but when it comes down to the brass tacks she is in this country illegally and her case needs to be handled just like everyone else in that same predicament. I am not saying she needs to be tossed over the border like a drunk out of a bar; but she shouldn’t expect any special consideration because of her extended (and illegal) stay in this country!

Cheers! M2
That's kind of where I stand on it. I've met her lawyer, she's a pretty big immigration lawyer in SA and was friends with a history professor of mine. I learned a lot about how long it takes for people like Ms. Veliz to get there stuff together to become a legal immigrant.

But, in so many horrible cases, "it is what it is." and there just isn't much you can do about it. There's a difference between thinking with your head and your heart.

While my heart aches for anyone who has to leave the US for any reason who was brought to the US against their will, by their parents or for work or whatever reason, and now live a very American life...they need to get things together and in order. If that means waiting 10 years to get your papers, that means waiting ten years. And that's where my head is.

Things need to change, yes. But they aren't going to change just for one nice 20 something year old girl on the westside of San Antonio who got pulled over and "whoops..you are here illegally..."

Old 07-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I cannot find anything aside from yahoo Answers and some scattered university websites to cite it, but I believe it probably has to do with being a "lawful non-resident" and having an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification) number which acts as a Social Security number which made her eligible for lots of types of financial aid. I'm no expert and by no means saying this is right though.
Being that she's here illegally, how would she acquire an ITIN? Am I mistaken in believing that an ITIN is only issued to those in the U.S. legally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or