U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:20 PM

160 posts, read 465,279 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
Not to complain, but I was really bothered by the way I was treated at the DPS office today on Babcock. I was there to renew my driver's license. While waiting (no seats available) for my number to be called, a worker who was wanting to use the door I was standing in front of said "excuse me" in a not-so-nice tone. For me, that was a very minor annoyance and forgettable.

I continued to stand away from the door until she came back out. She immediately came up to me and told me (again in a VERY rude way) to move. I responded by saying there were no seats available, and then she said something to the effect of well you need to go somewhere else. I don't remember exactly how she worded it because it was so rude. The nice couple next to me were also shocked. The guy's response was "whoa!" as the lady walked away from me.

What gives anyone the right to speak to someone this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 05:24 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
I think they get away with it because there doesn't ever seem to be anyone to complain to. There hardly ever seems to be a supervisory person milling about, as there would be at a retail store or restaurant. Besides, it's one of those places that no one wants to be at--unless you're 16, of course--otherwise, it's just a PITA.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:38 PM

65 posts, read 160,119 times
It's because they work at DPS, lol. Hell on earth.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM

That very well could be, sapphire. I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking about calling to talk to someone in charge to complain about this person, but I wasn't able to see her badge, and I get the feeling that it wouldn't do any good anyway. Re-reading my post just now, it really doesn't convey how rude the lady was to me. I'm really surprised at how ugly this person was to me. And heck...I'm the type of person to where you can make fun of me or step on my shoes, and I really wouldn't care!

The other weird thing is the person that waited on me. She would mumble what she wanted me to do without being clear on what it was she wanted. For instance, she asked me to to read the vision chart (it had a LOT of letters). I had to ask what line she wanted me to recite. She didn't tell me until I asked. I know that's not a big deal, but everything kind of added up to be a very uninspiring visit. The other thing is that I was asked to remove my glasses when the picture was taken. I've always worn glasses, and I'm wondering why they would take my pic without them. Is that going to be my new picture on the drivers license?

Metroman - I think you're right!

Old 06-30-2009, 06:25 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Sadly, it probably wouldn't do any good. Also, that is the busiest DPS office, or at least it used to hold that title, anyway. Not that that's an excuse, but I'm sure they get some doozies in there. They are also protected by the DPS troopers that work there....I'm sure if you got rude or refused to move, they would just call one of them and it would be you against them.

Re the picture--if they took it without your glasses on, that's the one that will be on your new license. I don't wear glasses or contacts, so I don't know whether or not they changed a policy or anything.

At least it feels good to vent, doesn't it?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:46 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,006,091 times
just renew Online, unfortunately I have to renew my HAZmat, so I'll have to wait in line. I rather go to Gen Mcmullen though.

I am not looking foward to it, I rather just let the HAZmat expire, because I dont want to get a ***** license they are giving out nowadays.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Hazmat? That sounds like a dangerous occupation you have there (yes, I'm curious )

Sapphire, you nailed it! It does feel good to vent. And you're right - I'll bet if I were to have talked to her like she did to me, I would have gotten into a heap of trouble very quickly.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,006,091 times
the only Hazardous thing I have ever carried was, Carbon Dioxide, and Coal to CPS

Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Thanks svg. I hope I wasn't too forward in asking. I guess I was thinking there were aliens involved or something.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:22 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,346,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
just renew Online, unfortunately I have to renew my HAZmat, so I'll have to wait in line. I rather go to Gen Mcmullen though.
My wife tried to renew on-line but apparently they will not let you do it twice in a row. So, I took her to the Gen McMullen substation and I must say they were very polite to my wife. Nice to see that the price hasn't changed in at least 6 years (still $24).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio