U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:25 AM

2,260 posts, read 4,942,755 times

Advertisements

That would be me. I did a search and didn't find anything specifically about dentists who cater to people who are terrified of the dentist.

Can anyone recommend anyone? I am truly dental-phobic. Just typing this is making me feel light-headed. But the time has come - I'm not having any pain or anything but it's been years since I went to the dentist.

I think I would prefer a dentist who can provide a twilight-sleep kind of thing...or maybe total sedation.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 AM

796 posts, read 2,758,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
That would be me. I did a search and didn't find anything specifically about dentists who cater to people who are terrified of the dentist.

Can anyone recommend anyone? I am truly dental-phobic. Just typing this is making me feel light-headed. But the time has come - I'm not having any pain or anything but it's been years since I went to the dentist.

I think I would prefer a dentist who can provide a twilight-sleep kind of thing...or maybe total sedation.

Thanks.
I'm in the same boat as you, only I get pain here and there. I just take some Motrin to make it go away, but I know I can't do it forever.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:01 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,157,176 times
Charlie Parker from WOAI radio used to pitch for these guys....says they didn't make him feel bad for not going to the dentist in years, and it was a nice experience.

Family Dentist San Antonio Texas TX, Dr Crouch Dental Center for the San Antonio - Bexar County - Alamo Heights - Castle Hills - Stone Oak Texas Area! (http://www.sedationdentistsanantonio.com/Dental-Info-Family.html - broken link)

Hard to admit on here in public that I'm part of the "OAI demographic, whatevertheheckthatmeans. However, I don't listen anymore.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:36 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,119,473 times
We use Dr Tom Haberman in Helotes. After a quarter of a century of military dentists (some good, some bad), I was relieved to find someone who can work on my teeth painlessly! Honestly, often during procedures he warns me that something is going to hurt, and I don't feel a thing! I don't know if that is some kind of reverse-psychology thing; but I don't care as the less pain, the better!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,279,103 times
Dr. Perry Fikes
400 N Loop 1604 E # 205
San Antonio, TX 78232-1246
(210) 496-3869

Super nice and great staff! Will provide twilight sleep (ie Halcion/Nitrous)

Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,279,103 times
And contrary to someone's belief (*aherm Saph) I did not personally have any kind of sedation performed by Dr. Fikes on myself - my exhusband did - just to clarify. I dont wanna ruin my street cred.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:08 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,942,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
We use Dr Tom Haberman in Helotes. After a quarter of a century of military dentists (some good, some bad), I was relieved to find someone who can work on my teeth painlessly! Honestly, often during procedures he warns me that something is going to hurt, and I don't feel a thing! I don't know if that is some kind of reverse-psychology thing; but I don't care as the less pain, the better!
It doesn't matter how pain-free other people's experiences are, it is painful and frightening for me. I know it sounds like I'm being a big baby, but I can't begin to express how terrifying going to the dentist is for me.

In other words, you say he's painless and he probably is, but that doesn't get me past the stark and utter terror I feel.

Just to give you an idea, I've passed out in the chair just from a dentist telling me what he was going to do at the next appointment. I've fainted in the waiting room. I can't even walk down the hall toward the dental clinic here at work because the smell makes me feel faint.

And thanks, all, for the recs. I know I sound like a nut. I'm really not. I'm just REALLY scared of dentists!

Old 07-01-2009, 01:09 PM

14,614 posts, read 31,157,176 times
I called her a big sissy in her rep message. I don't mean that YOU are, LindaGrace. Just the pertygirl.

I have a really good friend that has to self-medicate before she goes, too. I understand it's a real fear.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:17 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,311,951 times
We use Dr. Deborah Keepers in Helotes. She is very good.

I don't think there is anyone in the world more scared of needles than my husband. He just had some dental work done and on his second visit the nurse/doctor and my dh were all in the same room and the nurse said something about having him come back for this and that. The Dr said "no, we will have to do it today because I know he won't come back".

He had a filling done and wouldn't even accept any anesthesia because of his fear of needles. CRAZY!!
He said that he didn't have any pain though. Dr. Keepers is really good and understanding. She has laughing gas to help calm you too

Old 07-01-2009, 02:38 PM

317 posts, read 1,607,632 times
I'm with you LindaGrace- I am terrified of the dentist.
I don't wish the fear on anyone else, but I am glad to know I am not alone. I shake terribly as soon as I get in the office, have fainted once, and have ran out with my face numb and no work done. Oh, the humiliation! I take the kids and end up waiting outside the office-just being in there breaks me out in a cold sweat. If you see someone great from these recs, share the name, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio