Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 PM

6 posts, read 26,310 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Columbus, Ohio and am looking to move to San Antonio by the end of the year.

I'm doing a good bit of research before finally deciding to move down to San Antonio. My cousin moved down about two years ago an absolutely loves it there. She's a teacher though and apparently those jobs are very numerous. I hear that jobs are abundant in almost every sector, but doing job searches for IT support type jobs yields very unsatisfactory results. It appears that most of them require a good amount of experience for quite a few dollars less an hour for the same job up here. A good 30-40% less. Columbus' cost of living isn't that much higher than San Antonio, but the jobs pay quite a bit less? Is this a normal, or is the cost of living just that much lower? Could someone give me an idea what I should expect?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 02:15 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
What is the salary range you're looking for and what is your area of specialty? I'm also in the IT field and the pay isn't the greatest here.. It will need to increase, though, to keep up with the quickly rising cost of living.
Have you looked at Rackspace? They're a great company to work for (I worked there for a couple weeks) and I think they're getting better with the pay. I left them because I found a much better paying job. Rackspace is pretty picky on who they hire, but if you happen to be a Linux guru or very good with Apache and IIS, you might have a shot.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:43 PM

I'm looking for mid 40s, around 45K/year or so.. Most "Desktop support" jobs I've seen in SA are around the high 20's/low 30s... My experience is rather high in the area mind you, So I would assume the higher end of the spectrum is more where I would be. I have experience in desktop development/project management as well.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM

Unfortunately, that's probably about as good as it's going to get around here for that type of work. If you're looking for more, I would suggest you look at a higher level job. When I was looking, the big needs were UNIX (especially HP-UX), network security and analysis, software design, and web development with a good knowledge of Java. AD is getting pretty popular lately and a Red Hat cert will definitely get you into Rackspace. They have more of them than Red Hat does...

Old 02-05-2008, 03:02 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,981 times
IT is a tough market is SA. It is great in Austin or Dallas.
First of all, there really aren't any software development firms in SA.
Another theory for low IT salaries in SA is. There are many retired military folks here in SA, and while I have all ther respect in the world for them and what they have done....when those guys have their pension check coming, they really don't seem to care what their post retirement job pays. And it is 2-way street, employees know they can low ball a retired military, because they are already getting another paycheck. They will have way more experience and training and someone out of school...so those guys will always get the job over a recent grad.

As far as IT desktop support. That type of work is taught as vocational work in prisons in Texas....so there is an over supply of helpdesk types. I understand you probably have tons of MS cerifications, but a job requiring someone like you will few and far in between in SA.
Good Luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:19 PM

I can't speak for all retired military, but as far as myself being retired military.. I make quite a bit more than the average San Antonio resident in my daily work alone and went into defense contracting because that was where the most money was here as far as IT. I do enjoy the extra money I get for my retirement benefits, but there is no way I would let that impact the salary I think I deserve.

I do agree that IT support/help desk work is not going to pay much and there is usually very little advertising for it and what is advertised barely pays $10-15/hour..

Old 02-05-2008, 03:23 PM

422 posts, read 1,450,474 times
All the desktop folks in SA i know/knew average around what you are looking for. I started desktop support 10 years ago making that much. So keep looking and I'm sure you'll find it.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM

The only reason I was looking for a desktop support type job, is cause that's one of the more readily available type jobs. I can do a bit more than what a $10-15/hr would be doing. I'm talking Database development, web development, projects, etc. It's just that its more of a niche position and its easier to get into a desktop type position.

Oh well, I'll keep looking and as I get closer to making the move (assuming that I head down) hopefully I'll get something lined up.

Thanks all.. I was hoping there would be more/better I guess

Old 02-05-2008, 04:38 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
There are many retired military folks here in SA, and while I have all ther respect in the world for them and what they have done....when those guys have their pension check coming, they really don't seem to care what their post retirement job pays. And it is 2-way street, employees know they can low ball a retired military, because they are already getting another paycheck. They will have way more experience and training and someone out of school...so those guys will always get the job over a recent grad.
Any employer worth working for will not factor a military retirement check into an employee's salary. You should get paid based on your skills/training. Anyone who accepts a salary like that has been suckered. IMHO anyway.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:52 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotheron View Post
Hello,

I currently live in Columbus, Ohio and am looking to move to San Antonio by the end of the year.

I'm doing a good bit of research before finally deciding to move down to San Antonio. My cousin moved down about two years ago an absolutely loves it there. She's a teacher though and apparently those jobs are very numerous. I hear that jobs are abundant in almost every sector, but doing job searches for IT support type jobs yields very unsatisfactory results. It appears that most of them require a good amount of experience for quite a few dollars less an hour for the same job up here. A good 30-40% less. Columbus' cost of living isn't that much higher than San Antonio, but the jobs pay quite a bit less? Is this a normal, or is the cost of living just that much lower? Could someone give me an idea what I should expect?

Thanks!
You might try Accenture:

https://careers3.accenture.com/

Here is CNN's Cost of Comparison (Columbus, OH vs. San Antonio, TX):

Cost of Living - Cost of Living Calculator from CNNMoney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio