U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 08:40 PM

214 posts, read 327,682 times

Advertisements

I have two large trash bags of toys that I want to get rid off. All of these toys are high quality, perfectly good toys for a young boy. Mine has grown tired of them and they are taking up too much space. He is now 8. Maybe a 6 year old would think they are awesome.

Amanda and I were talking today about the toys as we drove to dinner in the car. I have been trying to sell them for about a week on Craigslist. I have gone from $50 for the whole thing, to $5 for little bags of them, to make an offer.

My realization has been that parents don't want to give their kids used toys - especially if they don't come wrapped up in a non-biodegradable wrapper.

Nobody shops for toys at Goodwill or something like that anymore (I know there is an exception, but when you can get something for so cheap AND help charity, you'd think they would see more traffic). The toys are the same now as they have been in the last five years, with a few exceptions.

If anyone is disagreeing with me at this point I'll seal the deal and say that we buy 99% new toys for Colby. We are definitely not the exception. I made a rubber band gun with him out of some recycled wood last week, and we do buy used DS games - but that's all I can think of.

When I turned and asked Amanda why we don't get Colby a toy at Goodwill she kind of sneered before realizing the point I was making.

Why must we buy new? We look for all these sales, and yet used is at least half price - and usually much, much less.

Anyone want 2 giant bags of boy toys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 08:47 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,141,113 times
I am surprised, when my daughter was little I bought toys at every garage sale I saw, of course I cleaned them with a bleach mixture and we loved them. I would also resell and this young lady came by and gave me her phone number, after that I would just call her and she would buy from me.

Perhaps people just dont have money right now or that is not a priority. One option if it is not about the money, donate them to a mothers day out, they would love them!

On another note, we were trying to buy a used sofa and loveseat, or either or and were trying consignment shops or thrift stores, and the prices were just as much as a brand new one! I put an ad in Craigs List but the ones offered were really worse than mine!

Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 PM

214 posts, read 327,682 times
Have you any need for a very nice light tan leather chair with matching footstool? That's one of the things I'm trying to move out. We have way too much stuff!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:00 PM

1,980 posts, read 3,141,113 times
No, sounds great though! I am thinking my dogs would think leather is their chew toy. Did you post this too, and no takers? When I have things like this I usually put it outside on a weekend with a sign saying for sale, I would be surprised if it does not sell.

If you ever hear of a couch, I would love to know!

Old 07-02-2009, 09:01 PM

64 posts, read 92,314 times
Default Re:Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reallybigshoe View Post
I have two large trash bags of toys that I want to get rid off. All of these toys are high quality, perfectly good toys for a young boy. Mine has grown tired of them and they are taking up too much space. He is now 8. Maybe a 6 year old would think they are awesome.

Amanda and I were talking today about the toys as we drove to dinner in the car. I have been trying to sell them for about a week on Craigslist. I have gone from $50 for the whole thing, to $5 for little bags of them, to make an offer.

My realization has been that parents don't want to give their kids used toys - especially if they don't come wrapped up in a non-biodegradable wrapper.

Nobody shops for toys at Goodwill or something like that anymore (I know there is an exception, but when you can get something for so cheap AND help charity, you'd think they would see more traffic). The toys are the same now as they have been in the last five years, with a few exceptions.

If anyone is disagreeing with me at this point I'll seal the deal and say that we buy 99% new toys for Colby. We are definitely not the exception. I made a rubber band gun with him out of some recycled wood last week, and we do buy used DS games - but that's all I can think of.

When I turned and asked Amanda why we don't get Colby a toy at Goodwill she kind of sneered before realizing the point I was making.

Why must we buy new? We look for all these sales, and yet used is at least half price - and usually much, much less.

Anyone want 2 giant bags of boy toys?
I'd suggest the Battered Women's Shelter. There's a thread somewhere about where to drop off. The kids arrive with the clothes on their back and that's it....

Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,404,410 times
Lots of people buy used toys, but usually just for very young kids, like plush animals, big plastic toys, rocking horses or stuff like that. I think older kid toys don't sell as well at places like Goodwill because they are almost always incomplete, or non-working.

You may still sell them on CR yet, try making groups of similar items (bag of legos, bag of hot wheels) and put the specific names of the toys/charactors in the listing (your son could help you). While some people viewing your ad are looking to buy for their children, most will be adult collectors/resellers. Garage sales are also a good bet.

If you donate, I second the Womens Shelter. Thrift stores will prob throw most of them away anyway. Some items may also be suitable for Red Cross

Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 PM

4,794 posts, read 10,172,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL78248 View Post
I'd suggest the Battered Women's Shelter. There's a thread somewhere about where to drop off. The kids arrive with the clothes on their back and that's it....
a great big DITTO here!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 AM

188 posts, read 341,342 times
We buy some used toys for my son from resale. It's fair amount of work, but you could also look into selling them at the Wee World Resale extravaganza that's held twice a year: Welcome to Wee World I went last fall and got tons and tons of great toys for my son. Also, anything of yours that doesn't sell, I believe they give to a charity.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:27 AM

25 posts, read 43,459 times
You could also bring them to a children's resale shop to get cash on the spot for them. There are several in town. My favorite is Sweet Repeats.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:47 AM

3,736 posts, read 5,428,233 times
Most of my daughter's toys are used. The ones that are not are those she's received as gifts (similarly, I usually give new toys as gifts, but used toys for her). Her favourite toy is still the 50 cent wheelbarrow I bought at Goodwill last year.

I don't think it's that unusual, this is true for most people I know.

That said, we try to buy very little by way of toys so I don't usually go out seeking to buy them, used or otherwise, unless there's something specific we're looking for. So a bag of toys for sale is not something I'd jump at, since it just means more junk in my house

If you really want to do something useful, I second the recommendation to donate them to a shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio