U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 12:26 PM

925 posts, read 893,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I\'m surprised (or maybe not?) that people got so offended by some people\'s negative opinions.
You really never take time to read your own posts do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 12:27 PM

925 posts, read 893,502 times
And let it be done! No more squabbling. Return to the suject at hand, including myself, because this is foolish.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:32 PM

89 posts, read 325,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
In LA and OC there are many alternate routes you can take to get around traffic. Here in SA you can't. You may try, only to find that the road you got off is a one way and takes you back to what you are trying to get out of!!! I stand by my statement 100%. LA/OC traffic is better to deal with than SA traffic any day!
There's many alternate routes to get around in sa...just depends how familiar you are with the city.

Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,473,016 times
Just for the record, I've never bashed anyone here. I merely stated my dissatisfaction with the traffic. I also went into the CALIFORNIA forums to be among my own kind, i.e. Californians - to discuss my moving back home. I have never, ever resorted to name calling or bashing any individuals. Yet, I have been repeatedly bashed. I am actually glad this discussion (I mean "attack") took place so that anybody who is potentially thinking of moving here can see the Texas hospitality firsthand. One may come into your forums and state what they observe, but what one will get is the lynch mob mentality that is gonna string them up if they dare "mess with Texas" as I've apparently done. In my own defense, I merely stated that I don't care for the weather or the traffic in San Antonio. I am happy to be moving back to CA because that is my home. I never said Texas or San Antonio was a bad place, or that California is better. California is better for me and my family only. Texas is just not for me or my family. I am truly sorry it did not work out for us. We have had friends in CA who were originally from other states tell us that Californians don't apreciate what they've got until they don't have it anymore. I can totally relate with what those people have said to us. We would not have appreciated what we had in CA until we moved out of the state. It could have been ANY state we moved to - not just Texas. Our move has been a learning experience for us, and now we truly appreciate where we came from. I never meant to stir up the ire of Texans. I have stated in many threads that we have met a lot of nice, friendly people in Texas. Texas is just not for us. And it was never me saying anything about people here being uneducated or unsophisticated. That wasn't what we were looking for, so please don't "credit" me for those statements. Those words never came out of my mouth - or in this case, my keyboard.

Yes, I know I said I wasn't going to come back into this thread, but I just had to. I will admit, I am still reading these posts as I get instantly notified every time a new post is made. I am not going to come back and add to the fray. But I will still be lurking!!!

Old 04-21-2007, 04:12 PM

60 posts, read 202,640 times
Default God Bless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Just for the record, I've never bashed anyone here. I merely stated my dissatisfaction with the traffic. I also went into the CALIFORNIA forums to be among my own kind, i.e. Californians - to discuss my moving back home. I have never, ever resorted to name calling or bashing any individuals. Yet, I have been repeatedly bashed. I am actually glad this discussion (I mean "attack") took place so that anybody who is potentially thinking of moving here can see the Texas hospitality firsthand. One may come into your forums and state what they observe, but what one will get is the lynch mob mentality that is gonna string them up if they dare "mess with Texas" as I've apparently done. In my own defense, I merely stated that I don't care for the weather or the traffic in San Antonio. I am happy to be moving back to CA because that is my home. I never said Texas or San Antonio was a bad place, or that California is better. California is better for me and my family only. Texas is just not for me or my family. I am truly sorry it did not work out for us. We have had friends in CA who were originally from other states tell us that Californians don't apreciate what they've got until they don't have it anymore. I can totally relate with what those people have said to us. We would not have appreciated what we had in CA until we moved out of the state. It could have been ANY state we moved to - not just Texas. Our move has been a learning experience for us, and now we truly appreciate where we came from. I never meant to stir up the ire of Texans. I have stated in many threads that we have met a lot of nice, friendly people in Texas. Texas is just not for us. And it was never me saying anything about people here being uneducated or unsophisticated. That wasn't what we were looking for, so please don't "credit" me for those statements. Those words never came out of my mouth - or in this case, my keyboard.

Yes, I know I said I wasn't going to come back into this thread, but I just had to. I will admit, I am still reading these posts as I get instantly notified every time a new post is made. I am not going to come back and add to the fray. But I will still be lurking!!!

I can relate. We were in Florida for 10 yrs, and decided to come back home.
Well home is Boerne, but close enough.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:16 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,524,920 times
I do apologize for my part in making this thread go waaay out of hand. Twinkle Toes, I'm sorry Texas isn't for you and I wish you the best in California. The "uneducated" and "unsophisticated" comments were made by other posters who continually bash the city -- so thank you for clarifying that.

I do hope that this forum doesn't ruin your feeling about Texas hospitality because outside of the forum, hospitality is all over the place. Its just some of us have a lot of pride in where we live. I am not a native to San Antonio, in fact I've only been here about five years, but I fell in love with the city and I don't plan on living anywhere else.

I hope that finally this thread can get under control and the constant nit-picking can stop.

Best wishes on your move back,
Anthony

Old 04-21-2007, 07:17 PM

545 posts, read 2,086,369 times
TT, I'm glad you clarified your position. Please let me clarify mine...I know the mods don't care too much for personal attacks on folks here, so I'll just say that when I post, I'm not referring to you, or Chimpie, who started this thread.

I appreciate the fact that you know what you want and couldn't find it in San Antonio. I also appreciate the fact that you don't feel the need to insult the fine folks that live in this city by choice. It's the people who piggyback on your statements, then twist them and add their own stereotypes to the mix that make me mad.

Good luck where ever ya'll end up...

Old 04-21-2007, 10:08 PM

58 posts, read 174,065 times
Hello everyone! I just read all these posts and I haven't been on here for awhile...wow! I moved from Orange County, CA to San Antonio in January. I lived in Seal Beach and then Anaheim. My sister lives in Toluca Lake which is in the Hollywood area. One thing I must say about these posts, is regarding traffic. LA traffic better than SA ...you are kidding me right? That is a complete lie! You must have never visited Hollywood on the 101 at any time of day...or the 22 ? I saw that comment and my fiance and I just laughed. Yes there is traffic here...but it is a moving traffic. I used to just sit on the 101 for like 5 minutes not moving...at all!

Moving here from California is the best thing we could have done. I don't understand how you could not like it here. Everything I did in CA, I can do here...but I get to pay cheaper rent. The people are nice and laid back and you don't have that, "I'm better than you attitude."

I guess it all depends on the person. My sister would never leave Cali, but she is Mrs. Hollywood and loves that scene. It just has to do with your lifestyle. Yes the beach isn't down the street...but honestly I can't remember the last time I went to the beach, even when I lived 10 minutes from the beach

Old 04-21-2007, 10:19 PM

944 posts, read 2,801,973 times
Hi Taraaa17, Glad you made it safely. I agree, it is rare that we have sit-still traffic in SA. And it DOES have everything to do with one's lifestyle. I think we can all realize that what one person considers to be dull, another finds exciting, and vice versa.

Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 PM

679 posts, read 2,604,102 times
Hi all. I have been gone for quite awhile. Came back to the same heated conversations. I will be moving to Texas (Spring Branch), from California. When I retire, I could very well remain in California and live a very comfortable life; more comfortably than when I move to Texas, believe it or not. I am highly educated and hold numerous degrees and certificates. I am saying that to say this...It does not matter one bit to me if people are uneducated or that things are slow. I am not looking for sparkle. I am trying to get back to simpler times. I already know that things are a little slower there, but it's what I long for. I came and visited and drove all over the area where I thought about living. 10 hour drive days around Texas. I long for the slowness and the peacefulness. I'm even up for the challenge of taking on snakes and bugs and heat. I Know what I am giving up in California and fully understand that things will not be the same in Texas...but all of that does not matter to me. All I want to do is to sit out on my deck and take in the beauty of my land, which I have already purchased, and write. My mom and dad's folks were from the south. I understand slowness and I think it is beautiful. It all has to due with one's wants and needs. What is slow for one is enjoyed by another. It is truly to each his/her own and I think we should all respect everyone's thoughts and opinions. No one is right, no one is wrong. It all has to do with individual perception. That being said, I wish you all well with whatever it is you wish to do and wherever you wish to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or