Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 AM

262 posts, read 910,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I'll try to remember to get a number for you today. I don't know what rents are in this area.....further down towards 1604 I think they get higher....There is a used text bookstore near Culebra and Les Harrison....but it was listed on craigslist as being for sale....not sure if it will last or not.
Selling textbooks is a very competitive business. A lot of publishers are constantly allegedly updating their books and hustling it to teachers to use in their classes.

Most textbooks have no value after like 3 years. Thats tough for the struggling student, they are almost forced to buy brand new books every semester.

Unless you have a supply of recent textbooks, a textbook store can survive. Nowadays the internet is doing most of the used textbook business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:47 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
I would also like to suggest you accept books for donation. I have a ton of old stuff no one I know would want but could still be of good use to someone. Maybe buy three get 10 free!

Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Put me down for at least $4-5 a week for the sci fi/fantasy.Thats what both of mine read.
All these pledged purchases will add up! Thank you.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Great building!
There's an old station (also used to be a dry cleaner) on the intersection of S. St Mary's and King William (or one of the streets leading into KW, maybe a different name) that's now a pizza place.

There are a number of old buildings in the area looking for new occupants. Some need some sprucing up.

I am biased, but I'm less inclined to frequent a place in the middle of a strip mall where I have to drive and park in a large ugly parking lot. I like the idea of a used bookstore blending into the fabric of its surroundings, attracting pedestrian traffic. The good thing about Southtown is that there is also lots of parking available. The downside is that because it's becoming more popular, rents are increasing.
The rental price is a main factor. Another option is buying a fixer upper either from the bank or owner finance.

If you see any bargains out there and possibly Zoned Commercial please let me know.

Thank you.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I would also like to suggest you accept books for donation. I have a ton of old stuff no one I know would want but could still be of good use to someone. Maybe buy three get 10 free!
Trades Accepted! Here's the way it would work, Good clean books would be accepted for half price of what we would normal sell them for.

For example you have one pocketbook, we would give you a fifty cents store credit toward your next purchase of a $1 pocketbook. We would then charge you just fifty cents cash for the book.

I'd like to do a straight trade, but cash revenues must always keep coming in to survive.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:28 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
The rental price is a main factor. Another option is buying a fixer upper either from the bank or owner finance.

If you see any bargains out there and possibly Zoned Commercial please let me know.

Thank you.
if you're interested in the area, contact the Southtown MainStreet Alliance in the link I posted. There are a lot of places available, but they don't advertise/post the rents. You have to call.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
if you're interested in the area, contact the Southtown MainStreet Alliance in the link I posted. There are a lot of places available, but they don't advertise/post the rents. You have to call.
Thanks Chaka.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:22 AM

434 posts, read 1,123,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix54 View Post
Critter Gal did you ever go to the old Brock's Bookstore? It was at 312 East Commerce, downtown. That place had over a million books. Unfortunately it shut down in 1987.

A real piece of San Antonio history.
No never did if you are speaking of East Commerce here in San Antonio, I was still living in NY at that time. Only been here a year.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergal View Post
No never did if you are speaking of East Commerce here in San Antonio, I was still living in NY at that time. Only been here a year.
Welcome to San Antonio!!

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
You may have issues advertising your store as "dog friendly" considering the coffee, tamales and hot dogs ideas will conflict.

You may only allow work animals such as a seeing eye dog in an establishment which serves food. A patio however would be acceptable.

Local authors may consider doing a reading or signing, you would though either have to sell their books according to the set cost for that book, if you want to sell the author books for $1 I would assume your store would have to make up the difference. As for national authors, that can become extraordinarily expensive - some of the authors I work with command $10K honorariums, flight and hotel arrangements, ground transportation and meals etc.

How many books would you need to sell, on average, per day to cover rent, salaries, marketing etc?

How much do you expect your average customer receipt to be?

How many people do you expect to come into the store daily - what is you estimated foot traffic?

What are your projected hours of operation?

I am sure "any place" would support a $1 "anything".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio