Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:33 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Okay, I just read one of my good friends facebook remarks and felt I really needed to see if our good neighbors down in San Antonio might know about this and could do something.

She posted that their church (from up in the Dallas area) just sang for a family that slept in the park with their 9 month old baby after their house was burnt down last week.

I'm pretty sure this probably made some news concerning the fire but the families situation might not be known by the people of San Antonio that could help them out. Being that someone there would know more about the situation might be easy for someone to find out and coordinate or even contact one of the local news stations to help the family. I just feel horrible w/ the baby and all and this heat right now. They had a home to live in and then something happened. They might not have family around to help out and could have been just barely making it with the tough times right now.

If no one can find out anything then let me know and I'll see if my friend there happens to know anything. She might not check back too often being she is chaperoning a bunch of jr high kids on a mission trip.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Luckily, we have organizations to assist with families in transition (for any reason).

Need Help?- Shelters, Day Centers, Medical Services, San Antonio, Texas (http://www.samm.org/needhelp/ - broken link)

Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM

I figured there had to be something. Is there any way to find out thru the news who this family was and if they know about it and get them in contact with the services available? I'm pretty sure they don't have access to internet or anything if their house just burned down........ I'm not even down there and just saw it on my friends report back from a trip w/ her youth group.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:01 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
I did a quick search on mysa.com and woai.com to see if I could find anything, but I didn't have any luck. Short of going downtown myself, I don't know how we'd ever find them. Luckily, there are services available, and hopefully they will get some relief. San Antonio people are very generous and if we did know who this couple was, they would have everything they need within days. Let us know if you find out who they are.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
To be honest, I am very suspicious of this story. With the amount of social services and other organizations in this city, I find it highly unlikely that someone would had to "slept in the park with their 9 month old baby after their house was burnt down last week." It doesn't require having "family around" to qualify, and I am sure if their house burned down that the emergency crews didn't leave them standing by the smoldering rubble to fend for themselves.

Given that this is thirdhand information, is there any chance that it got "lost in translation" and that the situation is not quite as it was communicated?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:16 AM

915 posts, read 1,904,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
To be honest, I am very suspicious of this story. With the amount of social services and other organizations in this city, I find it highly unlikely that someone would had to "slept in the park with their 9 month old baby after their house was burnt down last week." It doesn't require having "family around" to qualify, and I am sure if their house burned down that the emergency crews didn't leave them standing by the smoldering rubble to fend for themselves.

Given that this is thirdhand information, is there any chance that it got "lost in translation" and that the situation is not quite as it was communicated?
+1 The story is likely BS. We have several organizations that would shelter someone after a fire. The only way I buy this is if there is mental illness involved.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
+1 The story is likely BS. We have several organizations that would shelter someone after a fire. The only way I buy this is if there is mental illness involved.
Sorry, it isn't BS. My friend has updated her info and she even posted a pic of the family (no names). The little baby girl is cute as can be. My friend was there w/ the church youth group and all she posted first was they had met them and how touching it was for the kids to see someone so humble and how humbling it was for the kids to see what some people experience. This morning she has posted after I asked that the family finally got shelter after they ran across them. And YES, they DID indeed sleep in a park with their baby and all.

Think about it....... your house burns down. You don't have even a cell phone if it was IN the house when it caught on fire so you have no form of communication via telephone be it land line or cell phone. If you HAD internet service that is now gone as well when the house burnt down. If you had never experienced any "falls" in life before you might not know which organizations out there to call upon or go to if you were in such a position. What is required is KNOWING where to find services when they are needed. If you don't volunteer for them or need them at some point in time when it is MUCH easier to look them up to get help but when something like this happens you don't have the resources to look it up.

Gosh, I always knew whenever someone in the church experienced a hardship how great it was to see the church family pull together and help them out and always thought how hard it would be on people that did not have that support. Never knew that people could be so cold and indifferent as some have been on here....... sad and kind of pathetic when you think about it.

Last edited by Bo; 07-01-2009 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: Made an edit, then hit "undo."

Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 AM

452 posts, read 1,028,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Never knew that people could be so cold and indifferent as some have been on here....... sad and kind of pathetic when you think about it.
Don't let a couple of suspicious, negative people color your perception of San Antonians. You'll find these types everywhere. San Antonio is no exception. For the most part, though, San Antonians tend to be very generous and compassionate. If someone is in need of help, they will definitely receive it.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sorry, it isn't BS. My friend has updated her info and she even posted a pic of the family (no names). The little baby girl is cute as can be. My friend was there w/ the church youth group and all she posted first was they had met them and how touching it was for the kids to see someone so humble and how humbling it was for the kids to see what some people experience. This morning she has posted after I asked that the family finally got shelter after they ran across them. And YES, they DID indeed sleep in a park with their baby and all.

Think about it....... your house burns down. You don't have even a cell phone if it was IN the house when it caught on fire so you have no form of communication via telephone be it land line or cell phone. If you HAD internet service that is now gone as well when the house burnt down. If you had never experienced any "falls" in life before you might not know which organizations out there to call upon or go to if you were in such a position. What is required is KNOWING where to find services when they are needed. If you don't volunteer for them or need them at some point in time when it is MUCH easier to look them up to get help but when something like this happens you don't have the resources to look it up.

Gosh, I always knew whenever someone in the church experienced a hardship how great it was to see the church family pull together and help them out and always thought how hard it would be on people that did not have that support. Never knew that people could be so cold and indifferent as some have been on here....... sad and kind of pathetic when you think about it.
House fires that burn people out of their homes tend to make the news here. Without some details that can be verified or a news story documenting the local fire, members are wise to be skeptical of your call to action. Look at the number of instances in the national news lately of people collecting gifts on behalf of their child's false terminal illness. Local media has shown that some of the interchange panhandlers who claim to be homeless are actually not homeless at all! It's not beyond the realm of possibility that a family would fake a house fire to cover the true circumstances of their homelessness. Or that a family who makes such claims might not really be homeless. I've personally encountered the same parking lot panhandler on two different occasions who presented me with two completely different wild stories of why he needed a handout!

While your sympathy is admirable, without details from a trusted source, how can anyone here vet your story? Apparently, no one in this forum knows you well enough yet to trust what you post, so I certainly don't see how members' skepticism in this thread deserves to be labeled "sad and pathetic."

Last edited by Bo; 07-01-2009 at 10:11 AM..

Old 07-01-2009, 10:05 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
When it's a disabled vet, dealing with Walmart, there isn't an ounce of skepticism. It was a race to see who could get on the news to show they were helping first. I guess poor people with a baby don't rate? Because obviously they didn't have insurance and must be moochers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio