U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 11:32 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,736 times

Advertisements

Dopo I'm working on my grass too. Put in 4 pallets of zoysia in March, fortunately just before a big rain. Despite 2 full weeks of no water in the worst of the heat, it's doing ok. Now it's just in survival mode with 1x/weekly watering, but am pretty sure it'll be fine. Last year put in 2 pallets of bermuda in another area that's mostly happy. Still trying to get my shadow turf that I put in April 2008 to fill in, but at least it's moving. Yes, I have 3 different types of grass on my lot, due to differing shade/sun conditions. The strip near the street that the city planted when they did the sidewalks with half bermuda/half St A is awful. I think I'm going to rip it out and do more xeriscaping there. Eventually I want the backyard to be all garden/raised beds, but I have to get the gardening trick down right. I need my dad here

I don't know of any classes, but maybe the TAMU extension offers some? That'd be a great idea. I read a lot of books and live on gardenweb forums (and have always done some gardening, just in different climates), but it's not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:38 AM

8,217 posts, read 27,062,815 times
Hmm, I don't think you can overheat tomatoes if you give them enough water. Also keeping one plant in one 5 gallon bucket full of potting soil & perlite (4:1 ratio) helps keep soil bugs out. Flood it every day and mist the leaves every day, too. Twice a day is even better.

Use organic garden lime to sweeten the soil every time you feed.

The best food I've found is this stuff:
NutriStar 12-14-11 Vegetable Garden Food
Only available in small nurseries in Texas.

You can add a dash of sulfate of potash at every feeding as well.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:03 PM

80 posts, read 256,308 times
I *thought* you didn't want to overwater tomato plants? I was told to water every 3 days or so. Stick your finger in the soil down to the first knuckle and if it's still damp, don't water.

That being said, my plants bombed this year. My first time planting in Texas. I had two huge, gorgeous plants that the squirrels kept getting (even around my chicken wire) and then the plant just seemed to wither up and die. So did my gorgeous, long pumpin vines, watermelons, beans, peppers....

Obviously, not doing something...or many things...right!!

Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 PM

1,893 posts, read 4,862,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I'm not actually trying to get rid of it. I have enough areas around my yard to fill in, so it'd be put to use if I don't use it for the beds. That is a good idea to mix it though. Also good to know it takes awhile to get adjusted. I'll remember that as I get through the first few plantings.
[/color][/color]

Hmmm. Well, I didn't add any fertilizer at all. So it's either what was already in the compost or what was in the soil.
If you didn't add any fertilizer at all then it was probably low on everything instead of high on nitrogen. Especially low on phosphorous.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 PM

325 posts, read 693,383 times
I love home grown tomatoes. I hesitate to post cause I've been slacking lately but I think heavy mulch is the key, you really don't need to water all the time if you mulch heavy.

I purchased some old railroad ties and built a raised bed in a corner of my yard. I bought some nice top soil from Fertile Garden and tilled it in deep with a rented Honda tiller from Lowes. I bagged my lawn and used this to mulch heavily.

Results were great, I was in heaven with BLT's and what not.

Note: Girl friends son at the time in pics.

Last edited by 2DMaxx; 07-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: added picture

Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomgirl79 View Post
I *thought* you didn't want to overwater tomato plants? I was told to water every 3 days or so. Stick your finger in the soil down to the first knuckle and if it's still damp, don't water.

That being said, my plants bombed this year. My first time planting in Texas. I had two huge, gorgeous plants that the squirrels kept getting (even around my chicken wire) and then the plant just seemed to wither up and die. So did my gorgeous, long pumpin vines, watermelons, beans, peppers....

Obviously, not doing something...or many things...right!!
Container plants do require more water due to the fact that they have captive root systems that only get what water or food that is in the container and if it is draining properly will lose it's water and nutrients pretty quickly. Plants in the ground will drown if the soil around them is always saturated with water.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:59 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
My raised-bed heirloom tomato plants did worse this year than any of the last 5 years. The bed is well drained and I couldn't keep them wet enough to keep them alive. I gave up and pulled them out about 2 weeks ago. I don't want to think about what my cost-per-tomato was this year.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:08 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,308,671 times
I had one cherry tomato plant in one of those topsy turvy things (thanks dad). I harvested less than ten tomatoes (maybe even just 5). One of them was the size of a pea .

Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM

I never tried the Topsy Turvy things but my 2 cherry tomato plants kept a kitchen colander full through the entire season. And those plants, IMO, did terrible this year. The varieties were Black Cherry and Large Red Cherry.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM

80 posts, read 256,308 times
Wahh!! This thread makes me very depressed. What in the world is wrong with all my plants? I really think a fungus got them all...or is it just the heat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio