U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:23 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,994,287 times

Advertisements

I have been experiencing some really difficult times this year. I went from making a modest decent income all of last year to BARELY surviving to be able to afford food this year! I even just made my rent payment by a hair last month.

From different agencies I've gone to, I have compiled a list of places that "anyone" in San Antonio can go to in order to receive food assistance. They all have different requirements, time/date availability and frequency availability.

I personally have been to most of these places below.

The reason I compiled this list was because when I called United Way (211) they were helpful in giving me places in my zip code that I could go to for assistance but not for any other places "outside" of my zipcode. The list below reflects a modest list that will hopefully help people in need.

If you are in need, in addition to the list below...you can also call United Way (211) and ask for food pantries in your zipcode area.

Most, if not all, of these places rely on donations to the San Antonio Food Bank, which in turn give the food to churches, organizations and agencies.

If you are someone who is not in need, I hope you will consider a modest donation to them in order to help someone going through hard times.

The list is below and if you know of any other places, feel free to PM (i don't always check the entire thread) and I can add it to my list I collected.

Metropolitan Community Church of San Antonio
(click on the name above to see the map and building in Google Street View)

611 E Myrtle St

San Antonio, TX 78212
(210) 472-3597

Requirements: None.

*Note: You can arrive as early as 10AM to fill out your numbered paper (don't forget to remember the number on your paper!).

The wait times can be a bit long and will range from one hour to an hour and a half.

If you live in the area, I suggest going home and then going back an hour later. When you go back there, ask some people to see what number they are on and they will call names first served by number in the order of signup.

Frequency: Weekly
Day(s): Saturday
Hours: 10AM (you can get there that early) to 2PM

Food items given: LOTS of different kinds of breads (tables of it), cupcakes, full cakes, pies, mexican sweet bread, cookies, spaghetti, watermelon, onion, chicken nuggets, jelly, peanut butter, bagged beans, frozen chicken, cereal, milk, frozen chicken parmigiana, and much more.

Rating (out of five): 5

House of Neighborly Services (El Divino Redentor Church) - * BREADLINE *

407 N Calaveras
San Antonio, TX‎
(210) 434-2301‎

Requirements: None.

The El Divino Redentor Church is located on Calaveras Street. However, the BREADLINE is located in back of the church in the parking lot. So walk on the left side of the church (Salinas Street side) and go right into the parking lot by the red door.

They give out approximately 150 boxes EVERY TUESDAY – FIRST COME, FIRST SERVED. When they are out of food they stop so get there early!

Frequency: Weekly
Day(s): Tuesday
Hours: 915 AM to 1030 AM

Food items given: Head of lettuce, bagged chicken, and watermelon.

Rating (out of five stars): 3.5

Christian Hope Resource Center

321 N General Mcmullen
San Antonio, TX 78237
(210) 732-3776

Requirements: Proof of residence and ID.

Frequency: Monthly
Day(s): Monday through Saturday
Hours: 9AM to 12:30 PM

Food items given: Homegrown corn on the cob, canned yams/diced tomatoes/potatoes/refried beans/corn, and dried fruit and nut mix.

Rating (out of five stars): 4

St Henry's Catholic Church

1619 S Flores St
San Antonio, TX 78204
(210) 225-6877

Requirements: ID only needed.

Day(s): Friday
Hours: 9 AM to 12PM

Food items given: Many loaves of bread, canned potatoes, sodas, hot dogs, and a box of mashed potato mix.

Rating (out of five stars): 3

Guadalupe Community Center

1801 W Durango Blvd
San Antonio, TX 78207
(210) 226-6178

Requirements: ID needed; some personal and detailed questions asked (ages of household members, gender, income)

Day(s): Monday through Thursday
Hours: 9 AM to 12PM; 1 PM to 2PM

Food items given: Bag of rice, and canned tuna/tomato sauce/corn.

Rating (out of five stars): 1.5

Little Church of La Villita

418 Villita St # 900A
San Antonio, TX 78205
(210) 207-8610

Requirements: Proof of residence, ID, and social security card.

Your first time, you must talk with the pastor first. The wait, for your first time, may be long especially if he's busy (which is often). He's a friendly but somewhat eccentric lanky older Caucasian man. He will ask you to pray with him and will ask you if you have accepted Jesus Christ in your heart and even give you a bible to take home.

After that initial first time, thereafter, the nice older lady sitting down at the front needs only to verify who you are. You wait by the door and tell her your name. She will ask you what your address is for verification (they keep your records on file).

Day(s): Monday through Friday
Hours: 10 AM to 4PM

Food items given: Goldfish crunchies, HEB tortillas, bag of rice/beans, multiple types of bread, and occasionally strawberry round cake or lemon meringue pie.

Rating (out of five stars): 2.5

Antioch Baptist Church

1001 N Walters
San Antonio, TX
(210) 225-2452

Requirements: ID only.

Day(s): 2nd Wednesday of every month
Hours: 8AM until all food is gone; get there at 8AM and no later!

Food items given: * PENDING *

Rating (out of five stars): * PENDING *

House of Neighborly Services (El Divino Redentor Church) - * PANTRY *

407 N Calaveras
San Antonio, TX‎
(210) 434-2301‎

Requirements: ID and proof of residence.

On Calaveras Street, right in front of the El Divino Redentor Church, you will see a red door to your left and a red door towards your right. Go to the door to the right.

Ring the bell, a person will open the door for you and you'll sign in and wait to speak with Eugenia for your first time. She will ask a lot of detailed and personal questions but she's very friendly and conversational.

When she's done, she'll give you a ticket and you will walk straight down the hall where a guy will give you a box of food.

Frequency: 4 times a year only
Day(s): Wednesday & Thursday
Hours: 2PM to 4PM

Food items given: Canned tuna/soup/green beans, medium size watermelon, 5lb bag chicken leg quarters, small bags of rice and beans, and a couple of canned sodas.

Rating (out of five stars): 3.5

Christian Assistance Ministry (CAM)

110 Mccullough Ave
San Antonio, TX 78215
(210) 223-6648

Requirements: Proof of residence, ID, and social security cards for all members in the household.

Frequency: Every 3 Months
Hours: 9AM to 330PM

Food items given: Fresh asparagus, premium cheesy ravioli, bacon, canned ravioli, and sesame bagels.

Rating (out of five stars): 4

Catholic Charities

2903 W Salinas St
San Antonio, TX‎
(210) 433-3256‎

Requirements: Proof of residence and ID.

Frequency: Every 3 Months
Hours: 8AM to 12PM; 1PM to 5PM

Food items given: canned tuna/green beans/corn, rice and fideo.

Rating (out of five stars): 2

Presa Community Center

3721 S Presa St
San Antonio, TX‎
(210) 532-5295‎

Requirements: ID only.

Frequency: Every 6 Months
Hours: 830AM to 12PM; 1 PM to 4PM

Food items given: * PENDING *

Rating (out of five stars): * PENDING *

Last edited by xsa210tx; 07-10-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:51 PM

604 posts, read 998,419 times
God bless you for passing this info on- and I do pray your situation improves!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:29 PM

262 posts, read 507,165 times
Great post.

I have done online work for the St. Vincent De Paul Society. People in need can call them and then they are refered to a St. Vincent De Paul Conference in your neighborhood.

CLIENT FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM - The SVDP-AC has a small client financial assistance program. This program assists clients who find themselves in financial difficulty. Limited financial assistance is provided for things such as rent / mortgage, utility, funeral, and medication. The funds for this program are usually donated and designated for the purpose of client financial assistance. Cases are usually referred for this program by local SVDP Conferences.

CLIENT REFERRAL PROGRAM - Through this program the SVDP-AC provides assistance to clients who call the Council Office at 225-7837. The person needing assistance is provided information about services available through the SVDP-AC and SVDP Conferences and information about other agencies that may be of assistance. This referral service is available during regular business hours - 9am - 5pm, Mon. - Fri. The SVDP- AC receives approximately 45,000 calls per year.

OTHER ASSISTANCE PROGRAMS - The SVDP-AC also distributes clothing, shoes and personal care products to the homeless who come to eat at the SVDP Dining Room. Individuals, churches, schools, companies or SVDP Conferences donate some of the items distributed. The SVDP-AC purchases other items. During the year 2006, over 6,960 persons received clothing, shoes and personal care items.

It does not matter what faith you are. You need not pray with with them. They will put you in their prayers.

Other Programs - Saint Vincent de Paul San Antonio (http://www.svdpsa.org/otherprog.html - broken link)

"Help Us Help Others."

Old 07-11-2009, 06:27 AM

324 posts, read 791,499 times
there is a really nice list of food banks here: San Antonio HIV Advocates* To ad

Old 07-11-2009, 07:50 AM

2,353 posts, read 6,238,949 times
Not sure if this is talked about but Angel Food is also a good deal if you need it looks like.

Welcome*- Angel Food Ministries

Mod Note: Unfortunately, Angel Food Ministries has gone out of business - see link under Reorganization.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-16-2011 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: added mod note

Old 07-17-2009, 02:57 PM

okay quick questions - where is says frequency is that how often THEY give out or how often you can get food from them?

For instance I know the pantry near my house gives out monthly, but you can only get food once every 6 months.

Just trying to figure out if you can get food every week at a few of these places - my food stamp case is now over 30 days pending and the pantries are starting to get bare.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,994,287 times
dakotamidnight:

Frequency is how often "you can go" to get food. So if it says "weekly" you can go every week as in the case of the first one I listed and the one I highly recommend!

If it's "monthly" than you can go once month!

Hope this helps!!!

By the way, you gave me an excellent link which I just saw, I am going to look at those places and somehow merge it as one list. I'll have to spend some time in the future calling all those places to verify "if anything has changed." A lot of times they change hours and days so I'll try to find some time to do some calling. Excellent list though and thanks a bunch!!!

Neddy: I've heard of the Angel Food program! There's a church very close to me that participates. Being that I have very little money, I can't participate just yet. When I get on my feet I'm thinking about doing it. You basically pay "half" (of its worth) and they pay the other half of the groceries. They even accept food stamps for anyone who has them and wants to check them out. Mod Note: They ceased operations 9/11.

Nix54: Excellent information!!! Thank so so much!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-16-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: added mod note

Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
dakotamidnight:

Frequency is how often "you can go" to get food. So if it says "weekly" you can go every week as in the case of the first one I listed and the one I highly recommend!

If it's "monthly" than you can go once month!

Hope this helps!!!

By the way, you gave me an excellent link which I just saw, I am going to look at those places and somehow merge it as one list. I'll have to spend some time in the future calling all those places to verify "if anything has changed." A lot of times they change hours and days so I'll try to find some time to do some calling. Excellent list though and thanks a bunch!!!

Since you're compiling a master list, could I suggest a additional question to ask them? Please consider asking are they wheelchair accessible, and if there is a different entrance or protocol for wheelchair, etc.

As someone who has to use a wheelchair at times due to back issues, many is the time I've gotten somewhere for aid only to find out I can't get into the building. Happened to me over a year ago at the 1st spot on your list so I had no idea it was a good spot to go to!

And thank you very much for doing this - I'm a single mom and self-employed and money is often very very tight.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:26 AM

80 posts, read 175,489 times
Great list! I am sure many have had times when they didn't know where to go and this list is so helpful!

I second Angel Food. We don't really need pantry items, but Angel Food has been a big monthly help for us just to 'ease the bills' a bit. Some menues are really good--pasta, meatballs, fresh fruits and veggies and we'll double up that month. Other months we might pass.

Mod Note: Angel Food ceased operation 9/11.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-16-2011 at 07:55 PM.. Reason: added mod note

Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 AM

214 posts, read 1,157,207 times
I applied for some of the programs unfortunally for help with Christmas U have to have a application in very early and it seems I missed some of the programs. I will continue to look. Thanks so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio