Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc1977 View Post
Recently tried The Lords Kitchen. Definitely a dive/hole in the wall but the burgers are out of this world. Freshly prepared ground beef, not pre-frozen patty kind of stuff. Definitely worth a revisit.
Thanks, just checked out their website. Looks great, I'll have to get by there and check it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 AM

504 posts, read 1,457,463 times
Suzannas Tacos on Nogalitos/Kirk St.--she has all breakfast tacos 2 for $1 and they are jampacked and dang good.

Guadalupe Street Coffee--another west side gem that looks better than a starbucks, has better coffee, and tutors kids from the local schools. across from Guadalupe Cultural Arts

Lindas and Sandys- on Guadalupe St. Sandy's is good, but pricey..Linda's on the other hand is very cheap with their fully loaded Mexican Plate lunch special for $4.50

Garcia's Foods across from Lanier hight School has very good cheeseburgers, frito pie, and hotdogs with chili 2 for $1. i dont think i have ever spent more than $5 on a full meal and drink at Garcia's

Old 10-24-2007, 03:24 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
Good, non-fanchise Italian food is hard to find in San Antonio these days. My wife and I are looking for an Italian place to go on our anniversary this Thursday. We both love Italian food but don't care for franchises. Any suggestions?
We LOVE Piccolo's on Evers road, just outside the 410 intersection (between Bandara and Callahan exit...near the Sams Club area in Exchange Parkway.

Try ANYTHING Raffello....the snapper is DEVINE! It is a family place, not at all fancy, but food is out of this world!!! She (Vilma) also has a "not on the menu but the regulars know to ask for it "Eggplant Parmasean" that is to die for....her husband (the chef) grandmothers receipe and soooooooo good.

Again, it is not fancy, but they have a nice wine selection and you will love the food!

Here is some sample reviews...I REALLY think that you would enjoy it.

Piccolo's Italian Restaurant - San Antonio, TX, 78238-1718 - Citysearch

Old 10-24-2007, 03:55 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
We LOVE Piccolo's on Evers road, just outside the 410 intersection (between Bandara and Callahan exit...near the Sams Club area in Exchange Parkway.

Try ANYTHING Raffello....the snapper is DEVINE! It is a family place, not at all fancy, but food is out of this world!!! She (Vilma) also has a "not on the menu but the regulars know to ask for it "Eggplant Parmasean" that is to die for....her husband (the chef) grandmothers receipe and soooooooo good.

Again, it is not fancy, but they have a nice wine selection and you will love the food!

Here is some sample reviews...I REALLY think that you would enjoy it.

Piccolo's Italian Restaurant - San Antonio, TX, 78238-1718 - Citysearch
I was in Piccolo's many years ago--probably in 1992 or 93, and it was pretty fancy. The waiters were all very nicely attired--very crisp white uniforms, if I recall correctly, and there was Sinatra music playing, and it seemed more upscale than it looked from the street. In fact, we had our son with us, who was about 5 at the time, and the only reason we really stopped there was because they had a pizza sign up on the front of the building. Silly us, we thought that meant they served pizza. Turns out the joke was on us, we could not get a pizza, and it seems like we laid out about $70 for the 3 of us to eat. (I won't leave once I'm in.) Anyway, the food was good, we just hadn't ventured out that night for an expensive meal! We should have just gone down to the next block and stopped at Capparelli's, where it's always delicious and reasonable.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:56 PM

Oh, and they did eventually take the pizza sign down. I noticed after a couple of years that it was gone.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 PM

732 posts, read 3,553,234 times
Asia Kitchen on Marbach and 410 - the most authentic Thai food in SA. If you like it spicy - be sure to order it THAI HOT!!!

They also have chinese food, too....

Old 11-06-2007, 05:59 PM

9 posts, read 47,872 times
Blanco Cafe on Blanco near French Pl. mmmmmm, Casbeers on Blanco for music, Taco Taco is a dive that is getting waaaaaay too popular, Chachos on Callaghan is so popular its trashed so its a dive but the food is still great, ChaCha's in the medical center has great mole chicken and a very cheesy motif, Thai Taste on Evers is definately a dive and real good, the best dive ever was Tacoland - R.I.P. Ram - Nikki's Tokyo Inn on Hildebrand is the definition of a dive, kinda nasty interior, but its the best sushi in town, seriously, not kidding.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:14 PM

Best dive for Greek food is Kostka's on either Nacogdoches or O'Connor, I can never remember which. It's a hole in the wall, located next to a Mexican hole in the wall (and their food is not too bad, either). Both times we've been it's been well after the dinner hour, and the food was hot and very, very fresh. We had the place pretty much to ourselves, except for some take-out customers. The gyros were awesome! We need to head back over there soon because now I am craving some good tzatziki sauce.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:37 PM

634 posts, read 2,922,639 times
Papa Dante's in Converse!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:51 PM

26 posts, read 93,761 times
these are our special places....
Timbo's (used tobe Little Hipp's), The Cove, Texas Pride BBQ, MK Davis, Hills & Dales, Comanche Park, Braunig Lake, Busby's Flea Market ( they sell beer!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio