Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:42 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,841,640 times

Advertisements

Good Evening majormadmax -As you know all these tips are great. It is best to spray as soon as you make the cut on all trees but especially on Live and Red Oaks. You may have read that these will die from Oak Wilt. I spray with a pruning spray available at Lowes, Spectricide Pruning Seal. There is another one that I have purchased at Wal Mart (green can) but I cannot remember the name. Both are great products.

Oak wilt is a scary subject due to the outcome. You can read more about it at WWW.TEXASOAKWILT.ORG . It worries me that there are "Professional" Tree Services out there that don't spray cuts /wounds/ etc. The San Antonio Tree Preservation Ordinace and the Oak Wilt Ordinance extend into the ETJ (fFve miles outside the City Limits) Our HOA requires all cuts to be sprayed. All tree trimming companies are to have a City of San Antonio Tree Maintenace License, you can confirm if someone /company has that license by going to www.sanantonio.gov/dsd/licensing.asp . A couple of years ago I had a fellow stop by, no name on his truck, and a crew of three. He offered to trim our trees. After speaking to him I knew he had no true knowledge of tree trimming /pruning and told him I could do the work myself. I did some light pruning today over the driveway (1/4" to 1/2'' branches) this morning and I make it a habit of spraying the smallest of cuts.

I always make it a habit to offer pruning spray to my neighbors (when I see them) who have no knowledge of Oak Wilt. It also protects my trees. If their tree's get it them ours will more than likely become infected. Some trees can add $10,000.00 to $25,000.00 to the price of your home so it's worth the effort.

My Father spent several thousand dollars attempting to stop Oak Wilt on his property northwest of Lampassas. Some trees survived but most didn't. He replanted other Oaks that are not prone to Oak Wilt. We have had several cases of Oak Wilt near (not directly in)the Villages of Westcreek. Those folks also spent a great deal of money having trenches dug to isolate roots, etc. They lost alot of trees.

Good Luck and Stay Cool

Last edited by wellguy; 07-11-2009 at 11:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 12:37 AM

86 posts, read 174,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Even more good info from the Department of Agriculture...

Identify, Prevent, and Control Oak Wilt

Highlights:

And, according to Wikipedia (for what it's worth):

But I could not find any 10-minute requirement. However, I did find a recipe for organic tree paint; but I was put off after seeing step 1...

Cheers! M2

Good Info. Oak Wilt is in Westcreek. Now is the time to prune branches. Paint all branches with any latex paint soon after pruning 1/2 inch or larger branches. Use only landscape companies that are state certified. Clean your trimming tools with bleach to prevent cross-contamination. Oak Wilt spreads from tree roots underground (systemic) and can effect live oaks down streets and blocks. Plantanswers.com and the Bexar County Extension, plus Master Gardener hotline can give you specifics and answer any horticulture concern you may have. Plant White Oaks - like Montery Oak - that is Oak wilt resistant.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:12 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
wellguy and CH1960

Thanks, I did get a can of Spectricide Pruning Seal but the tip fell off when I climbed up on the fence to spray a spot. I plan to take one off a can of spray paint to see if it works, but if not I am back to Lowes for another can. It wasn't expensive but it did stop me for the day, that and the RAIN we got! A nice little shower than went over just south of Helotes, only about 15 minutes worth of rain but enough to wet everything down.

My second trash can is full so I think I am done for the time being.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-13-2009, 11:47 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
My neighbor was attempting to trim his trees one weekend when a rather large limb came crashing down on the utility lines going to the house next door. The limb knocked down the power lines, the telephone lines and the cable lines. Feeling bad about tha mishap and knowing that his neighbors were out of town he decided to start getting everything put back so that his neighbors would not have to come home to this mess. The power company came first and fixed the power lines, then the telephone company arrived and fixed the telephone lines. The cale guy showed up to fix the cable and said "Well I fixed the lines, but I see that this guy was stealing HBO and Showtime. I'm afraid I am going to have to report him. The cable company considers this theft and we prosecute." Now, the out of town neighbor was a rather high ranking Police officer near retirement. The situation was taking a nasty turn. He told the cable guy that he felt bad enough about the power lines and all and that the guy was a police officer and he really didn't want to make him any trouble. The cable guy says "Oh a police officer huh? Well, Ive been trying to get into the Police acadamy for a long time." About this time the Police officer and has family drive up and the cable guy and my tree trimming neighbor explain what happened and where we are now. Long story longer the cable stealing police officer wound up with a huge brand new roll of video cable to use in his retirement and the cable guy is now a Police Officer and that folks is how we trim trees in my neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio