U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 PM

16 posts, read 37,294 times

Advertisements

Yeah Hung Fong & Ding How even Formosa Garden...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 03:58 PM

4 posts, read 5,793 times
Good: Kim Wah
Golden Wok
Formosa
Peng's (for the price)

Terrible: Hung Fong
Ding How

The next person that says "Go to Houston" should just say go to China!

We are talking about SA, and trying to spring ideas of places in SA for others to try!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 PM

94 posts, read 322,303 times
WOK INN on potranco

Old 03-06-2010, 11:08 AM

15,062 posts, read 19,628,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngramWindsorfan82 View Post
Yeah Hung Fong & Ding How even Formosa Garden...
So far, Formosa Garden is the best one that I've been to.
FYI, if you go there for lunch, go early, because that place is packed.

BTW,
I went to Bangkok 54 (Thai) just North of Nacogdoches & 410 and it was really good.
I know it's not chinese, but all their food looks the same to me.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 AM

1,414 posts, read 1,867,329 times
There's a fancy place going up on Huebner - Chinese Bistro. It says its from the Tapei and Sushihana folks.

We will see if it is more than beef with broccoli and sesame chicken.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:07 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,275,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo78253 View Post
WOK INN on potranco
I agree. I like it even if its not considered "authentic" - the chicken pad thai is pretty good. My fav chinese place is Fire Work in Huebner Oaks. I wish I lived closer. I USED to love the shrimp fried rice from Beijing Express (Marbach) but lately its been pretty crappy. Mushy rice...yech.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:01 AM
JNA

243 posts, read 667,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I agree. I like it even if its not considered "authentic" - the chicken pad thai is pretty good. My fav chinese place is Fire Work in Huebner Oaks. I wish I lived closer. I USED to love the shrimp fried rice from Beijing Express (Marbach) but lately its been pretty crappy. Mushy rice...yech.
I eat at the Fire Wok in Stone Oak. Love the food there. I'm not Chinese so I'd hardly be the one to comment on authenticity, but the food tastes very good.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 PM

358 posts, read 721,318 times
Asia Kitchen on the southbound 410 access road past Marbach is very good. Primarily Thai, but also has many traditional Chinese-American dishes. Very clean inside and the owners stay heavily involved.

And we've always like Ding How, too. Very consistent over the years. It's been around for 25 or so years, so that tells you something right there.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM

13 posts, read 11,971 times
I have learned to eat at really clean places; you don't want to know why. I appreciate a good value, and these are my picks:

China Inn on NW Military is excellent. Lunch specials are the best: crazy fast, outstanding service, big menu, all very good. Try their Triple Delight.

Pei Wei is a cut above. Share entrees to save, if you get drinks and appetizers. Delicious iced teas; Lemon Pepper Beef to die for. If you like very spicy, the Blazing Noodles are fantastic!

Pho Ha Long is the best for noodle bowls/BBQ/pho; don't order the large bowl unless you're starving. You have to beg for a fork and knife, however. Good prices, lots of food.

Sarovar is the best Indian I've ever had in any city. Go hungry: buffet heaven, but not cheap.

Thai Kitchen on McCarty is awesome. The buffet is unbeatable for variety and quality. The Thom Yum soup and Tapioca dessert are addictive.

Hon Maki's shushi bar is so fine! Get the Texas Heat Attack roll, with miso soup and edamame appetizers. Also not cheap.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:46 AM

1,668 posts, read 3,352,051 times
Last night My Wfe and I went to PF Chang's at The Shops at La Cantera. I knew it was going to be crowded since we had to walk a mile to get to the place 9I know most of the cars where from the Mall Shoppers. We did arrive late, about 7 which was not our original plan. Well the Hostess said it would be an hour and 45 minutes wait but she did remind us they have a bar for our "Drinking Enjoment". The only problem is ... We don't "Enjoy Drinking"

No fault of their's for the long wait though. So we decided to go somewhere where we knew we would have Good Service, Good Food, Plenty of it, and it was on the way home which is in The Villages of Westcreek. Well we endend up at our own standby which has always been for lunch. "The Happy Guy" on Culebra inside Loop 1604 a few miles. Although I have heard here that most people don't care for it the food is always good and we have never become sick after a visit there. It's not fancey but I have found in all my 49 years that some of the best eateries are the same way- Not Fancey.

I guess I'm Old Fashioned in the way that I love to support small Mom and Pop owned Business verses the Chain places. If something is not right it is made right sine they need and want your Business. The big Chain places could care less if you never came back since that is not going to hurt them one Dollar.

Last edited by wellguy; 03-14-2010 at 05:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio