Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:55 PM

172 posts, read 466,850 times

Advertisements

I think Golden Wok is great just cause they offer Dim Sum but of course its not going to compare with what Houston has to offer. I go there all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 06:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,014,795 times
I actually got ill to the point of near death a few years back from a Chinese buffet in town, so I don't do chinese food much any more. 2 good restaurants stick out for me, though. One is Phoenix, and it is at Blanco and West Ave.

The 2nd one is House of Joy at Guilbeau and Bandera Rd. I like their Hot & Sour soup. Both restaurants have very very good Sweet n Sour chicken. I've become a bit "vanilla" with Chinese food since my experience.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,573 times
Formosa Garden bar none best Chinese from Laredo to Austin

Old 01-01-2010, 11:24 AM

113 posts, read 444,906 times
Sorry it's gone now but my all time favorite place to eat chinese was John L's on Nogalitos back in the 70's 80's. I have yet to find another place that makes simple shrimp fried rice the way Dora did it back then.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:04 PM

173 posts, read 595,703 times
Im too tired to look through 8 pages but thought I would mention Panda Inn on Harry Wurzbach...or at least thats where it used to be. I havent eaten there in years but it was exceptionally good, affordable and you had better go hungry because the portions were very large. Mongolian beef was always perfect.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:18 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,075,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
Im too tired to look through 8 pages but thought I would mention Panda Inn on Harry Wurzbach...or at least thats where it used to be. I havent eaten there in years but it was exceptionally good, affordable and you had better go hungry because the portions were very large. Mongolian beef was always perfect.
PANDA INN has been my go-to for takeout for countless years (still there and still the same)! Ditto to everything in the post.

However, those looking for "traditional mainland China food" would be disappointed, their food is mostly old school 1950's style Chinese-American dishes, S&S, MSG, chow-mein, the works. But if that's what you feel like, it's consistantly solid. I love the lo mein!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:10 PM

18,044 posts, read 25,080,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kileygrace View Post
Formosa Garden bar none best Chinese from Laredo to Austin
That's my favorite, and it's almost impossible to find a spot in their parking lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro72 View Post
That would be nice but there is not a good Asian population here to have a China town, or something even close to what Austin, Dallas, and Houston has. I would be happy if we have something similar to what Austin has.
The city of San Antonio should trade a few thousand people to China so we can create a true Chinatown

Old 01-06-2010, 01:22 AM

5 posts, read 22,325 times
I highly recommend Taipei located at N W Military @ West Avenue. I don't know how you feel about it... but when I eat chinese food I prefer the place to be clean and have high ratings. The food is very good. They have lunch specials during the week but are also open in the evenings too. They have an appetizer that has several items on it served sizzling - I cant remember the name but it is awesome. They have a nice menu so there is definitely something that is geared for your taste buds and the service is excellent..

Old 01-06-2010, 01:27 AM

5 posts, read 22,325 times
I never eat at Hung Fongs anymore after seeing roaches going up the wall. That turned my stomach. I do not recommend any of the chinese buffets or any restaurant that is dark and dirty looking.

P F CHANGS is also a good place to go. It is a little more pricey but very good. It is located at the Quarry off of IH37.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 AM

915 posts, read 1,895,693 times
PF Changs is not Chinese.

Formosa is part of the Mencius family of restaurants. Food was always = to the Fred. location.

Taipei is part of a mini-chain including the nearby Sushihana. They have been there since at least the late 80's or very early 90s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio