U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 AM

172 posts, read 417,434 times
I got caught in it also! Terrible planning by TXDOT, no warning at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 10:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,121,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonga View Post
Yes - good point but NOT on the Transguide just before the Quarry -- I checked it on the way home. It was turned off - I kid you not! The first sign was posted just above Basse road - using one of those mobile signee thingamagigs - saying "US 281 Closed ahead" Well that was a teeny bit late... we were already in the Chaos.

It should have said... "US 281 Closed ahead.. Got You... Ha Ha Ha" in an Dr. Evil voice.
I am fairly sure that Transguide sign at The Quarry is brand new and hasn't been activated yet. Hildebrand used to be the northern limit of Transguide coverage on 281.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:37 AM

418 posts, read 1,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
Is there a website or something online that also notifies of closures like this, you know, that you can check in advance of traveling?
The san antonio express news main web page usually has them posted.

If your really picky check before you leave each day, google maps with traffic reports is good also.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:38 AM

260 posts, read 1,031,822 times
Having lived through the 410/Bandera upgrade, I feel your pain. Soooo many times either the Bandera exit was closed, or all of 410 was closed, and no notice is given until the last second. It's completely too late to do anything but curse by the time you've seen the sign. Even worse was when I was inching forward on the loop for 30 minutes, only to THEN see the sign that said that 410 would be closed... *sigh*. Seriously, how much do those blinky signs cost? Couldn't we have two or three put up when an ENTIRE HIGHWAY will be closed down?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM

124 posts, read 227,075 times
I called TxDOT Area Engineer Mario G. Medina, P.E.,

9230 S.E. Loop 410
San Antonio, TX 78223
(210) 633-1401

to offer suggestions for improvements....

You may also want to share your opinion. Be NICE!

Last edited by slonga; 07-13-2009 at 12:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-13-2009, 02:47 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,006,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
1. The work could have been done at night.

2. No warning of work. I purposely drove on 410 to see if there were warning signs of the 281 closure.-NONE

3. TXDOT may work for a local, a person passing through has no warning.

4. With the single lane forcedown cones starting after Jones Maltsberger there was no means of escape.

5. With all traffic being exited on Hildebrand, normal traffic light times continued. Why weren't SA's finest called upon to direct traffic and keep the exited cars moving?

6. Police cars were seen sitting on the closed portions with light flashing and window rolled up and, of course, air conditioners on.

All in all, a poorly though out and equally poorly executed operation. The removal of the primary north/south artery should have been coordinated between TXDOT and the city of San Antonio. It shows contempt on how the taxpayers are viewed and treated.

I would disagree, because "The drunks come out at night, The drunks come out at night, Drunks come out" LOL I wouldnt mind the street sweepers and the convoys working at night, but regular road maintenance would be more dangerous.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:08 PM

6,138 posts, read 8,594,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndip View Post
Seriously, how much do those blinky signs cost? Couldn't we have two or three put up when an ENTIRE HIGHWAY will be closed down?
I've seen them put up signs when the "entire" highway will be closed before. It's pick and choose though. During rush hour a few months ago (or weeks was it?) when there was a petroleum or gas spill or something on perrin beitel there were signs all the way from Vance Jackson on 10 saying that 410 was closed off that way. I was shocked to see the sign that far in the distance. That was plenty of time to find an alternate route (Thank God I didn't have to go that way!)

Old 07-13-2009, 05:40 PM

49 posts, read 123,376 times
I know the TV news stations did mention these closures the day before and day of. I went to the Farmers Market at the Pearl Brewery and I saw the closure signs on I-10/Hwy 90 area as well as I-35.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:16 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,753,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svg210 View Post
I would disagree, because "The drunks come out at night, The drunks come out at night, Drunks come out" LOL I wouldnt mind the street sweepers and the convoys working at night, but regular road maintenance would be more dangerous.
So.............We let the drunks inconvenience the rest of us?

I would think that with pylons set up for more than a mile funneling the traffic to an exit and barricades around the working area, the workers are protected.
Additionally, the cooler evening hours would be a safer working environment.

The whole situation was poorly run.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:24 PM

124 posts, read 227,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonga View Post
I called TxDOT Area Engineer Mario G. Medina, P.E.,

9230 S.E. Loop 410
San Antonio, TX 78223
(210) 633-1401

to offer suggestions for improvements....

You may also want to share your opinion. Be NICE!
Just to follow-up a lady from DOT engineer office called me and said that they did mess up and the problem was that their 'codes' required them to place the mobile signs a certain distance from the closure. She said that they will review these codes to fix this in the future.

Very polite and typically courteous Texan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or