U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 AM

667 posts, read 1,404,719 times

Advertisements

We're going to see Dora at the Majestic (our 2yr old loves her) and are considering doing the zoo trip too. Dora will only be there an hour though. Link is here if you're interested: San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium - EdZOOcation Programs (http://www.sazoo-aq.org/edzoocation/dora.html - broken link)

I know the zoo can get crazy during holidays so I am wondering if it would be just as/more crazy for something like this. Does anyone have any personal experience with an event like this at the zoo? My gut says it's a bad idea but I figured I'd ask around in case my gut might be wrong (it happens).

Thanks, in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,279,815 times
I took my kids to see Dora when she was at the Botanical Gardens - it was actually pretty nuts and the longest line ever just to take a picture with her. I dont know exactly how it would be at the zoo, but I imagine pretty crazy! Dora is a total rockstar!

(It was also ridamndiculous to see Diego at Sea World a few months ago)

Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 PM

52 posts, read 173,384 times
I took my daughter (a year or two ago) to see Dora at the Botanical Gardens too and had the exact opposite experience... no lines at all and "Dora" was walking around waving to the kids... would have been able to take a picture with her no problem but my little one freaked out when she got to close. I don't even remember there being a lot of kids around at all... I think we went early though.

I'm on the fence about taking her to the Majestic... waiting to see what others exp was first.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:36 PM

Two very different experiences! Since she'll only be there an hour I would imagine it would be CRAZY. I think we'll pass on seeing her at the zoo this time. She'll get plenty of time staring at her at the show Thanks for your input!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:58 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,121,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
I took my kids to see Dora when she was at the Botanical Gardens - it was actually pretty nuts and the longest line ever just to take a picture with her. I dont know exactly how it would be at the zoo, but I imagine pretty crazy! Dora is a total rockstar!

(It was also ridamndiculous to see Diego at Sea World a few months ago)
We tried that a while back and had the same experience...unreal lines to take a picture with the DtE characters. It upset my autistic son a bit not to be able to meet them, but luckily he got over it quickly...

Old 07-14-2009, 08:17 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,332,946 times
Good lord... For that amount of time, outside in the summer sun, wouldn't it be easier and perhaps worth it to just rent a 'Dora' costume from Gibson's on Broadway and bring the personal meet-and-greet to an AC'd house?

What I'm really wondering is that if Dora passed out during an appearance at the zoo from heat exhaustion, would they drag her away with the head on or break the illusion? I've seen Disney characters literally get dragged away by their costume (on the ground) after passing out on the job. Thanks to several lawsuits from characters taking off their heads in public, it's policy to keep their heads on... No matter what. Gotta love Disney.

BN

Old 07-14-2009, 10:49 AM

When DH told me she was coming to the zoo at the end of July I actually asked him, "I wonder what the kids are gonna do when she passes out from heat exhaustion". She should get combat pay for that hour. I won't be able to report on her zoo visit myself but maybe someone else on here will

Old 07-17-2009, 02:21 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,522,687 times
Well I know this thread has been open for a while but I thought I would send a note...we went today to meet Dora at the Children's Musuem downtown. I was expeciting madness but it was really quite nice. You did have to wait in line to get a picture with her but we only waited about 10 minutes! Good luck and enjoy the show!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:50 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,362,307 times
Interesting... I have this weird phobia about seeing cartoon characters in real form (or rather, dressed up in costume). For some reason it creeps me out. So I don't think I'd be taking my Dora fan to see Dora, but good to know it wasn't insanity.

(btw - doesn't bother me at Disney, but I think it's seeing Dora dolls - they look so weird as it is! I refuse to buy one.)

Old 07-17-2009, 03:31 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,522,687 times
No I totally agree, this Dora is actually just a girl who looks like her. I have heard this show is awesome because of that. No creepy head or anything...ha ha ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio