U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:12 AM

410 posts, read 809,238 times

Advertisements

I am searching for canvas art, prefer to buy original work. What shops feature local artisans?? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,575,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonianByChoice View Post
I am searching for canvas art, prefer to buy original work. What shops feature local artisans?? Thanks!!
Check out here Artisans Alley - HOME and La Villita Historic Arts Village, San Antonio, TX - Home

Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 AM

824 posts, read 1,605,788 times
Quote:
There are many galleries at Blue Star (S. Alamo & the river).

Old 07-05-2014, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,148 times
In reply to "where can one buy original paintings in San Antonio" may I suggest you call or visit places where artists take classes. Artists who take classes are always learning and thus improving plus you will see a variety of work and talent. Just take a look, you'll be surprised what talent. Many have been painting and selling their work for years.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM

136 posts, read 216,507 times
Independently owned coffee shops.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 PM

443 posts, read 782,979 times
The Blue Star Gallery hosts featured shows by local artists.

There's also a talented artist at the Legacy Farmers' Market who sells both prints and original artwork. A few of his originals are amazingly Norman Rockwellesque. He also does commissions, but lately has been focusing on patio furniture because that's what pays the bills.

As Calliope mentioned, many restaurants feature art which is for sale from local artists.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:42 AM

673 posts, read 577,734 times
Talking There's art all over!!!

Quote:
I'd recommend a few places - it all depends on your pocketbook . Also, style. Are you looking for traditional works? Abstract? Modern Romantic? Hill country? You'll find it all, depending on where you look! In addition to the above posts, I have more to add:

The River Art Group is located down by the little Church of la Villita, in the city center. They have artists represented from all over the area, all mediums, including canvas art.

Then, Boerne has a thriving art community - many little galleries with local, original art...some on the main street, some just off. Every year there's a show and "artist's walk" where you can go to the galleries and homes, and see some of the art in motion!

If you do a google search of these, you can easily get in contact with them, as well as even see some of the art and the artist's profiles on-line.

Then, if you want to go even further, check out the galleries up in Fredericksburg. Again, check on-line first, and examples from the galleries will pop up! Lots of "Hill Country"-type canvases here.

Good luck in your search!
~Dandi

Old 07-08-2014, 08:12 AM

310 posts, read 465,113 times
Agreed with DandiDay. I collect original pieces as one of my hobbies, and I'm a fan of several Boerne and Fredericksburg galleries. In Boerne, try Texas Treasures, JR Mooney (also in San Antonio), Carriage House and Highland House among others. In Fredericksburg, try the Fredericksburg Art Gallery, Whistle Pik, Insight and many others. I also enjoy looking around La Villita or Blue Star in San Antonio from time to time. From a cost perspective, La Villita and Blue Star tend to generally be more affordable than Boerne or Fredericksburg original canvas art. In the major Hill Country galleries, I usually expect to pay anywhere from $500 to $20,000 for an original piece depending on the artist and the size.

Also, if you enjoy a particular artist's work, it is not unusual to contact them and commission a unique piece that will fit you perfectly. I try to do this at least once a year, and with most artists, it is a great experience.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:57 AM

905 posts, read 1,360,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susieq84 View Post
In reply to "where can one buy original paintings in San Antonio" may I suggest you call or visit places where artists take classes. Artists who take classes are always learning and thus improving plus you will see a variety of work and talent. Just take a look, you'll be surprised what talent. Many have been painting and selling their work for years.

I totally agree. A great place to start is the Southwest School of Art.

https://www.swschool.org/

I knew this elderly lady, who has since passed, who would take lessons there and her art was amazing. She never had the confidence to take it to the next level but she did many wonderful pieces depicting Texas, South Texas, etc..
Call them, go get to know some of the artists there taking lessons; I'll bet they would be proud of someone having interest in their work..

Old 07-08-2014, 09:13 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,430,271 times
Default Agreed,

I saw a very impressive painting of Mission Conception for $500.00 downtown in a gallery near the Church of La Villita.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandiDay View Post
I'd recommend a few places - it all depends on your pocketbook . Also, style. Are you looking for traditional works? Abstract? Modern Romantic? Hill country? You'll find it all, depending on where you look! In addition to the above posts, I have more to add:

The River Art Group is located down by the little Church of la Villita, in the city center. They have artists represented from all over the area, all mediums, including canvas art.

Then, Boerne has a thriving art community - many little galleries with local, original art...some on the main street, some just off. Every year there's a show and "artist's walk" where you can go to the galleries and homes, and see some of the art in motion!

If you do a google search of these, you can easily get in contact with them, as well as even see some of the art and the artist's profiles on-line.

Then, if you want to go even further, check out the galleries up in Fredericksburg. Again, check on-line first, and examples from the galleries will pop up! Lots of "Hill Country"-type canvases here.

Good luck in your search!
~Dandi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or