U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 09:46 PM

17 posts, read 73,110 times

Advertisements

It is going to happen..... So what is your take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2007, 12:01 AM

11,435 posts, read 16,429,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYHERNANDEZ View Post
It is going to happen..... So what is your take?
I'm against ANY new taxes period and have already voted absentee today. I saw quite a lot of older voters in there, so I'm kinda hoping that they'll vote the same. Believe it or not, there are some of us who don't want san antonio to grow anymore.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 AM

71 posts, read 269,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I'm against ANY new taxes period and have already voted absentee today. I saw quite a lot of older voters in there, so I'm kinda hoping that they'll vote the same. Believe it or not, there are some of us who don't want san antonio to grow anymore.

I can't stand people who think like this. San Antonio is going to grow so why not make it the best city it can be. The city bond is meant to improve so many things...drainage facilities, parks, athletics facilities, libraries and public health centers. I just don't understand this backwards thinking....go retire...move to florida or something.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:25 AM

2,651 posts, read 6,506,299 times
If you vote against the bond then you have NO right to complain about flooding, crime, poor streets, traffic congestion, poor schools, lack of municipal services, or anything else the county, city or school district provides. San Antonio is going to continue to grow, up and outward. Streets in some areas are already pretty bad, congestion is growing worse, it's time to combat it now, before it's irreversible. We can't relay on Austin, TXDOT or who ever to give us money it's up to San Antonio and her citizens to make sure she stays healthy.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:15 AM

2,027 posts, read 6,352,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiddasdude19 View Post
I can't stand people who think like this. San Antonio is going to grow so why not make it the best city it can be. The city bond is meant to improve so many things...drainage facilities, parks, athletics facilities, libraries and public health centers. I just don't understand this backwards thinking....go retire...move to florida or something.

I agree. I don't understand it... why dont they move to a struggling small town, SA is a thriving big city. Besides, not everything in the bonds regard growth.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 AM

554 posts, read 2,101,595 times
For people that need more information on the bond proposal to make an educated vote:

2007 San Antonio Bond Proposal

Specifically:

Quote:
Will there be a change in the City’s property tax rate as a result of the bond program?

No. The bond program is achievable without a projected increase in the City’s property tax rate.
The bond will be funded by projected increases in property value assessments of approximately 3.5% per year through 20011.

Statements like the pp's are, quite frankly, ignorant. The city is growing, and requires infrastructure changes to accomodate this. If bond proposals such as this do not pass all that will happen is that the city will continue to grow, but will not be able to provide quality services to new areas and improve services in older areas of the city, some of which are in a tragic state of need.

Anyone on this forum that complains about "small town San Antonio" not being able to transition into a "big city" should vote for the bond to give the city a swift kick in the right direction.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
For people that need more information on the bond proposal to make an educated vote:

2007 San Antonio Bond Proposal

Specifically:

The bond will be funded by projected increases in property value assessments of approximately 3.5% per year through 20011.

Statements like the pp's are, quite frankly, ignorant. The city is growing, and requires infrastructure changes to accomodate this. If bond proposals such as this do not pass all that will happen is that the city will continue to grow, but will not be able to provide quality services to new areas and improve services in older areas of the city, some of which are in a tragic state of need.

Anyone on this forum that complains about "small town San Antonio" not being able to transition into a "big city" should vote for the bond to give the city a swift kick in the right direction.
In the shaded box that you included in your post, you mentioned that the bond was "achievable" with no property tax increases. "Achievable" and "definite" are two different meanings. The pro-business developers all have their hands in the till and want to prosper at the taxpayers' expense.That is why they are LYING to people telling them that they can get something for nothing. I believe that we are taxed enough in this cty. The city/cty can look for areas to make cuts if they want to fund more public schools. Maybe those taxpayers on the Westside (w of 1604) can pay a surtax instead of forcing the nisd to pay to build their schools.

No need for name calling. I'm just tired of paying for everybody else in this life.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:15 PM

554 posts, read 2,101,595 times
I'm just copying from the FAQ on the city's website. I didn't mention that the bond was anything. If you had looked at the link, instead of just replying based on a single quote in my post, you would have known that that's the city's verbage.

Quote:
No need for name calling. I'm just tired of paying for everybody else in this life.
Please, if you're "tired of paying for everybody else," cease your personal use of the following:
Blanco Road, Bulverde Road, Callaghan Road, Fredericksburg Road, Medical Drive plus several others
Certain bridges needing upgrades to meet traffic load requirements
Sidewalks downtown
The Botanical Gardens, Hemisfair Park, Market Square, the Witte Museum and the RiverWalk
The San Antonio Public Library System

Because, quite honestly, if you're so tired of your tax dollars paying for things like these, then I don't think that you should have the right to use them.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
I'm just copying from the FAQ on the city's website. I didn't mention that the bond was anything. If you had looked at the link, instead of just replying based on a single quote in my post, you would have known that that's the city's verbage.

Please, if you're "tired of paying for everybody else," cease your personal use of the following:
Blanco Road, Bulverde Road, Callaghan Road, Fredericksburg Road, Medical Drive plus several others
Certain bridges needing upgrades to meet traffic load requirements
Sidewalks downtown
The Botanical Gardens, Hemisfair Park, Market Square, the Witte Museum and the RiverWalk
The San Antonio Public Library System

Because, quite honestly, if you're so tired of your tax dollars paying for things like these, then I don't think that you should have the right to use them.
It is the schools that I'm referring to. Of course, I am willing to pay for roads, bridges, libraries, etc. We already pay fuel taxes, auto registration taxes, admission fees and property taxes for all of the above services that you have mentioned. Why not let people with children attending those public schools pay for their own kids' educations and stop passing the buck?

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 05-02-2007 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 05-02-2007, 01:31 PM

2,651 posts, read 6,506,299 times
People with children pay taxes too. The Quality of the schools in your area also keep your property values up. Also if you went to public school yourself I think you owe it to pay for the next generation to go as well. Remember you got a free ride at one point too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio