Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2007, 11:27 PM

592 posts, read 2,017,790 times

Advertisements

Are they ever going to build high-rise condos downtown san antonio that is less than 200,000 like austin, dallas, houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 08:50 AM

554 posts, read 2,299,055 times
If the market dictates that downtown housing can go for less than $200K, then I'm sure that something will be built. Obviously the market demands higher prices than $200K for downtown housing.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 AM

443 posts, read 1,500,575 times
it caters more for the investors, rather than locals... isn't that bad?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 PM

69 posts, read 300,712 times
I drove by Downtown yesterday and saw the new highrise they're building that goes for 300k!! I wouldn't hold my breath either.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 PM

546 posts, read 3,095,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
it caters more for the investors, rather than locals... isn't that bad?
Sure is, AND it really caters primarily to an older crowd as well (like retirement age) who can actually afford the 400K+ condos being thrown up all over downtown these days, now I've nothing against older folks, it's just that in order to cultivate an exciting downtown like, say, Austin, New York, Seattle, etc., (i.e. a more sophisticated/artsy/metropolitan vibe) that will support live theatre, galleries, cool eateries (versus franchised crud like Rainforest Cafe, etc.), hip clothing boutiques, yada yada yada, we NEED affordable downtown housing to lure in the younger folks.

Now, on the upside, I've heard that several big developers are working on building affordable condos/semi high-rises in the King William area based on the success of several decently-priced developments that were recently completed (the names escape me), makes sense in that area, and it's close to downtown...but yeah, it's still frustrating as hell that everything in central downtown is so sky high.

I considered buying in downtown a while back, but honestly, downtown is pretty dull IMO at this point, 90% tourists, no grocery stores, so-so dining - downtown has a LONG way to go before it's appealing to most locals (as I've noticed that many of the new downtowners are not from Texas, and have pads downtown as second homes/vacation getaways)...anyway, I ended up getting a MUCH better deal on a house in the Terrell Hills area (of all places!), for less than an 800 square foot "hotel room" at La Cascada would cost, plus a huge yard and 3000 square feet.

So yeah, in summation: we need affordable housing/development in downtown San Antonio.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:24 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,111,876 times
who knows...but youll have some more choices once the build the Vidorra...that located across 281/37 on Center St. Another site to consider will be Vistanna more to the "working class" prices starting at $600...maybe for a 1 bed 500 to 600 sqft...dont quote me but thats the rumor. These have yet to be built but if ur interested they are going to be new and interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio