U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:26 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,294,081 times

Advertisements

Best tamales in the area are actually in Pleasanton, TX - made by scratch by my Grandma and Great Grandma only once a year. New Orleans can suck it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 AM

5,635 posts, read 13,977,479 times
New Orleans - The Big chEASY

Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,563,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Just came from a visit from the Big Easy and tried the tamales there. The tamales were lightyears better than any tamale I ever eaten in San Antonio.
A few years ago I would have laughed at this statement but NOLA's hispanic population exploded post-Katrina, so I have no doubt you might find good tamale there now.

I would still like to hear why they are better than SA's though, I would have to taste it to believe it..

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,382,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Shredded pork isn't unusual in SA. As a matter of fact, it's the norm. I'd be leery of buying tamales from someone walking down the street. Heaven only knows what kind of bacteria could be festering!

I've never in my life seen or had a tamale with cheese! Bean/jalapeno tamales are good, though.
Having lived in a few developing countries and discovered that street food was the way to go (only ever got sick from restaurant food), I'm willing to take that risk. Best. Food. Ever. But don't tell all my health department sanitarian friends that (note, I wouldn't feed it to my child, but it's ok for me )

I was SHOCKED when I saw people smothering their tamales with cheese in San Antonio. yuk yuk yuk

I didn't mean to imply shredded pork was unusual here, just that it was the norm where my mom's family (i.e. her tamale-making history) originated, hence what is most 'normal' for me. I've never bought tamales in places other than TX though. Prior to living here I had only ever had homemade (with the exception of when I lived in Costa Rica, I did buy some there), so I have no idea how they compare in other places in the US. I do know that many of my friends' families growing up in CA made tamales with vegetables, but they weren't the same.

My point was simply that one's favourite tamales are likely to be the ones which were their first love. Tamales are such a family/cultural sort of food, often unique not only to a region but to a particular family. Eating tamales brings back a memory of my grandmother preparing the meat a day in advance, then watching her mix the fresh masa with her special spices - she always used the same bowl, same wooden spoon to mix, washing the husks, spreading all the items out on the large table while the ladies in the family gathered 'round, us kids putting the olives on our fingers and eating them while she yelled at us because that screwed up her count, making 50, 60 dozen over the day, then steaming them late in the day, ready for dinner. And then distributing them out to friends and family for Christmas gifts. And then eating, and eating, and eating.

If it's not the same kind of tamale, it just doesn't taste right.

(Now it involves all us drinking copious amounts of wine in the process and my mom trying to keep order on my aunts and her cousins....)

Ever read the book "Que Vivan los Tamales?" I highly recommend it!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,006,351 times
For one thing the masa is thin and stuff with meats and cheese. some just melt in your mouth. You can tell the difference in quality. They are just so so delicious. This was made by an African American restaurant in New Orlreans and they have been making these for years. I guess Tamales are more of an Indian thing than just Mexican.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:02 PM

Well that's interesting, imaterry. I'd be curious to try them.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,953,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Best tamales in the area are actually in Pleasanton, TX - made by scratch by my Grandma and Great Grandma only once a year. New Orleans can suck it!
Date and address, please.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 PM

I heard Perticusrex is throwing a tamale party in pleasanton....

Old 07-17-2009, 08:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,294,081 times
ORALE!!!!!! Lemme call my Wela first though cuz she dont like people to show up during her novelas.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:23 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,539,755 times
^^ lemme know too k thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio