Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 AM
Bo Bo started this thread Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times

Advertisements

I learned about San Antonio Foodie Tours (http://historictexastours.com/pressrelease.htm - broken link) today from this article in the Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/restaurant/A_conversation_with_Shelly_Reynolds.html - broken link). It sounds like it would be right up the alley of folks here who like to try new restaurants or restaurants that are new to them. The news release from last month does a good job of describing it, even if its ability to count to six is questionable.

Quote:
Press Release - FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
================================== [CENTER]The “Flavors of San Antonio”
Foodie Tour is Epicurean Delight!

[/CENTER]
[LEFT]San Antonio, June 1, 2009 - Shelly Reynolds, proprietor of Historic Texas Tours, has created The Flavors of San Antonio foodie tour – uniquely personalized and amply garnished with genuine Texas hospitality.

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Historic Texas Tours has been pleasing clients since June 2008 by providing exceptional tours including: Cowboy for the Day; San Antonio City Tours; The Mission Trail Tour, which is a half day, fully guided tour of Mission San Jose, Mission San Juan, Mission Espada, The Espada Aqueduct and Mission Concepcion in the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park; Texas Hill Country Tour; Texas Winery Tours; Natural Bridge Caverns & Wild Life Park Tour; plus the Texas Rodeo Package Tour every Saturday night. Any tour can be customized.

The Flavors of San Antonio foodie tour is a new professionally guided 2 ½ -hours epicurean luncheon delight into the ‘inner circle’ of a select group of San Antonio’s best eateries, unknown to some locals and most tourists. The cost, including specially prepared samples at each stop, is only $35 per person. As always, a five-dollar discount for locals, seniors (55+) and military/veterans is available. The Flavors of San Antonio foodie tour is offered daily from 1:00pm to 3:30pm, Monday through Thursday. No one leaves hungry.

As a native San Antonian with family ties to the Texas Revolution and former culinary experience from the Joan Woods Cooking School, Shelly has an extraordinary insight of extremely tasty establishments off the beaten path.

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Unique to San Antonio, currently The Flavors of San Antonio foodie tour includes edible samplings, created exclusively for Foodie Tour guests, from these six mouth-watering stops – Luther’s Café, The Cove, Augie’s Barbed Wire Smokehouse, Joseph’s Storehouse Bakery & Café, and finally Justin’s on Main. Additional savory venues and tour times are being considered.

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Luther's Café has been palate pleasing San Antonio since 1949! They specialize in burgers and bowls of “Red Top” (renowned Irish stew covered with their famous chili).

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]The Cove (http://thecove.us/cove/index.php - broken link) was featured on Diner's, Drive-ins, and Dives on The Food Network. This very eclectic eatery serves organic, locally grown food, fish tacos, and is a car wash and Laundromat. The place is fantastic! [/LEFT]
[LEFT]
Next, we stop at Augie's Barbed Wire Smokehouse. Augie custom smokes all of his meat on-site. The brisket is smoked for 26 hours and melts in your mouth! Top it with some of Augie's "secret recipe" b-b-q sauce to find a little bit of Texas heaven.

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]We also visit Joseph’s Storehouse Bakery & Café. Everything is made fresh daily from scratch and the café doubles as a Church on Sunday, with the owner doing the preaching! They are known for their home-cooked lunches, which include King Ranch Chicken, Meatloaf, and Chicken Potpie as well as an endless assortment of baked goods.

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Our last stop is for ice cream. Justin's on Main is one of the only places in town to get hand-made ice cream, gelatos, and sorbets. Justin also provides lunch items. Justin has been making ice cream and gelatos in San Antonio since 1968!

[/LEFT]
[LEFT]To quench your appetite for The Flavors of San Antonio foodie tour produced locally by Historic Texas Tours, kindly call (210) 467-2534 or visit the website - www.sanantoniofoodietours.com .[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 10:30 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
That sounds like fun!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:31 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,870 times
Sounds like a cool idea. BUT...I could probably go to all of those places with hubby and have a good sampling of what they offer for less than $35pp.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:44 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Yummy, yummy, yummy to all those place (except Augie's - I haven't eaten there yet).

I saw the article in the paper. It's definitely something we'll do once my husband finds a job.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
I only hope that Luthers's wait-staff treats the tour bus crowd better than they've treated me in the past. I'm not crazy about the selection of places they chose as 'foodie' haunts, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

They should really call it a 'SA home-style' food tour. Calling it Flavors of Texas is a little more than misleading at $35pp.

But on a positive note, it's raining and that makes me smile

BN

Old 07-18-2009, 11:34 PM

2,359 posts, read 6,432,752 times
If someone takes the tour let us know, I am curious about this.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM

76 posts, read 270,817 times
I was hoping someone in SA would put together one of these. The food tours we took in NYC and New Orleans were the highlights of the trips.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:56 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRose View Post
Sounds like a cool idea. BUT...I could probably go to all of those places with hubby and have a good sampling of what they offer for less than $35pp.
Really? It's $35 total, not $35 at each restaurant.

A couple appetizers and one adult beverage each will get you close to the $35 mark at most restaurants. I think $35 per person is a bargain.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:10 PM

260 posts, read 1,135,961 times
It depends entirely on what the "samples" are. Obviously the tour company has to make a profit as well, so you're not paying the money just for food...

From the interview in the article the owner says "We'll sample what they consider their signature dishes." and "People were thoroughly amazed at what they got for the price." It's an interesting idea - someone needs to do some more research for us...

Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
I'm sure the $35 is also for the "experience." It does sound fun to be honest and I would love to check it out sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio