U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 107,965 times

Advertisements

Thanks much for the information. Guess I will ask one of the realtors who keeps sending me their advertising in the mail if they are willing to help me out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 09:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,514 times
Default too high

The appraisal for my house went up from $197K to $252K which is a 28% increase. I live in Alta Vista and my house is really old, has original wiring, and many, many cracks in the walls. We live on a corner lot though and the the property is relatively big. I plan on contesting the appraisal as soon as I can because I am certain that we could never sell our house for that amount.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:34 AM

890 posts, read 1,524,226 times
Hello - I'm new to SA - just wondering out loud - is there any relationship at all to the appraised value when you buy the house and the Tax appraisal?

There's like a $30K difference between what Bexar puts it at and what it appraised for when I bought it 4 months ago....with Bexar being $30,000 less...

EDIT: so I post this, then go back and read the rest of the thread...I see my question was sort of addressed...we put a big downpayment on it as well, could that have any influence on it? I really don't see how, but it's a theory put forward on another page.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:24 PM

14 posts, read 38,940 times
For what it's worth, here's my info: in 2006, my house was appraised at $356K, and just recently got the new appraisal at $458K. Fell out of my chair and had to have a cold beer to calm myself!

I live in north of Sonoma Ranch, just out of SA city limits.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:31 PM

14,611 posts, read 31,126,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssculebra View Post
For what it's worth, here's my info: in 2006, my house was appraised at $356K, and just recently got the new appraisal at $458K. Fell out of my chair and had to have a cold beer to calm myself!

If you have a homestead exemption, they are limited to a 10% increase. I think you had to apply for the exemption by April 30, though. I don't even drink, but I would've had a beer or three if that came in my mailbox!

Old 05-07-2007, 08:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,342,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssculebra View Post

With a Homestead Exemption, your property's 2007 assessed tax value would have been $391,600 instead of $458,000, a difference of $66,400. This amount equates to $1,992 more dollars in property taxes (based on 3% overall tax rate, yours could be a little lower). You would also have saved roughly another $250 in property taxes with the exemption. This exemption is free to apply for, but must be submitted by April 30th (you have to live in the house on January 1st of the year you apply).

Bottom line: Don't give the tax man more than you have to...apply for the Homestead Exemption that will stay there until you sell your home.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:25 PM

14 posts, read 38,940 times
Sapphire and Steel Man: Wow...I don't know why I didn't think about the HS exemption. Thanks...I'll file a protest and exemption with the BCAD.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Lil

32 posts, read 67,499 times
Default SwissMiss

My tax appraisal went up by almost $40,000. We have Homestead and Disabled Vet exemptions. I am NOT the largest house nor do I have the largest lot. It still was hiked up as one of the highest in Westcreek ! Of course we protested - but it only got dropped down 8,000 out of the 40,000 increase. And we were told we should be grateful for that. So much for the appraisals by the BCAD being based on lot size and square footage. No house in this section has ever sold for over $200,00 even the ones with Granite countertops and major upgrades. I think that someone is trying to profit off the rapid growth out here on this side of town. I can't even begin to imagine how it is affecting some of the older retired military and school teachers out here on fixed incomes. It's gauging the tax payers! A realtor I spoke too commented; it was about time the appraisals caught up with the "real" values! I'm sure his pockets are getting filled nicely out here!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:30 PM

679 posts, read 2,603,228 times
I read where a couple of people are taking the appraisal districts to court. I think if more people did this, maybe they would stop the gouging. If nobody steps up to the plate to take a stance against them...it will continue. I've never seen a place that tries so hard to get down into people's pockets...all of the time. Raise taxes for this, raise taxes for that. I was looking at the Texas Lotto site, last evening. It stated that $9 billion has been donated to the schools since 1997 and that 27% of the lottery's proceeds go to the schools. Why then are they still gouging the taxpayers? $9 billion dollars is a huge amount of money. I would think that you all would get a break, somewhere. Instead, they lower the school tax and then jack up the appraisals to make up for it and ding the poor property owner. You can't win. Then the schools have all of this money that they have to find ways to spend their budgets on, at the end of the year, so they can be sure to get the same amount for next year. If they have all of that extra money left over from their budgets, then they must be getting too much in the first place. Don't get me wrong. I am all for good schools and good educations, but when it goes over and beyond, with multi million stadiums, and you've got people that are living pay check to pay check and trying to pay their taxes...it just doesn't seem fair, especially for the elderly and disabled. You all need to start making some noise and take time to voice your opinions by writing your senators and newspapers and getting it out into the open about what the appraisal districts are doing. You have to stand strong and stand tough. If there is no squeak, there is no notice. If there is no notice, there is no fix.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,342,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil View Post
My tax appraisal went up by almost $40,000. We have Homestead and Disabled Vet exemptions. I am NOT the largest house nor do I have the largest lot. It still was hiked up as one of the highest in Westcreek ! Of course we protested - but it only got dropped down 8,000 out of the 40,000 increase. And we were told we should be grateful for that. So much for the appraisals by the BCAD being based on lot size and square footage. No house in this section has ever sold for over $200,00 even the ones with Granite countertops and major upgrades. I think that someone is trying to profit off the rapid growth out here on this side of town. I can't even begin to imagine how it is affecting some of the older retired military and school teachers out here on fixed incomes. It's gauging the tax payers! A realtor I spoke too commented; it was about time the appraisals caught up with the "real" values! I'm sure his pockets are getting filled nicely out here!
Did you move into a new house last year? A large increase could be a "catch up" in value in the second year because the first year could be way under depending on when you moved into the house. Your "Appraised Value" can go up higher than 10%, even with a Homestead Exemption. HOWEVER, the "Assessed Value" will NOT go over 10% of last year's value. You will see the dollar difference under the "HS Cap" column. The Assessed Value is what you pay taxes on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio