Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 08:47 AM
lcw lcw started this thread

118 posts, read 667,469 times

Advertisements

Just got my property tax appraisal. I live in Sonoma Ranch and my appraisal went up 12.4%. How did everybody else fair?

btw, it is such b.s. what the appraisal district is doing. The legislature passed property tax relief on our school taxes and the appraisal district has all of their public relations people telling everybody that most taxpayers will pay less tax this year (even though their appraisals went up). True, but if the appraisals weren't so out of whack, there would really be some relief! The property tax relief given by the state legislature is being taken away by the local county appraisal districts.

That is my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2007, 09:14 AM

797 posts, read 2,984,199 times
We just got ours as well, it went up 9.24% and our tax went down about the same. The mandated school tax rate reduction helps, but I still think property taxes in TX are too high all together. Our appraised property value as jumped 20% in the past 5 years, (Villages of Westcreek.)

Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 AM

554 posts, read 2,299,055 times
Our appraisal went up about 12%. So now it's off to the appraisal district to see if we can fight it.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:59 AM

545 posts, read 2,276,163 times
I win...ours went up 14%

Old 04-20-2007, 11:21 AM

443 posts, read 1,500,575 times
mine is 13.5% here.. you won by .5% )

Old 04-20-2007, 11:38 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,723,393 times
I live in Churchill Forest and mine went up an even 10%. My tax bill went down $153.00 over last year. This is a shell game folks - they pass legislation to reduce our tax bill - but then jack up property values in a year where the housing market across the nation is either flat or down. Go figure. My parents live in Vista Del Norte and their value went up "only" 8.2% but that translated into a jump of a little over $20K.

All that said, my new value for 2007 is still lower than market. My value went up from $125,530 to $138,083. A friend purchased the same floor plan as mine in the same neighborhood on the same street two years ago for $142,000 - so my tax value is lower than market.

I don't know that I want to fight it as I had an addition done on my house three and a half years ago that isn't reflected on my bcad.org property so if I contested it - they would probably find out - and it would be a wash.

For those of you that complain about our property taxes being too high remember that we don't have state income tax. According to CNN Money even with high property taxes we are still one of the cheapest states to live in in terms of the total tax burden. I would trade property tax for income tax anyday.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:34 PM

37 posts, read 152,275 times
Mine went up significantly, too. But I'm happy about it. Remember many parts of the country are losing value or stagnating. SA is consistently mentioned as one of the best investments around, so I don't know why anyone would be disappointed that the value of their home went up.

The person above hit the nail on the head. In most cases, tax appraisals are below market value. I know I wouldn't sell mine for the value they've set.

Also, it's the taxing entities (school district, city, county, river authority, etc.) that you should be targeting. Every year they set the tax rate (AFTER the appraisals are in) that they believe will generate the money they need for their budgets. They can reduce the rates if they want but they usually don't because they can continue to get more money by keeping the rates the same (due to the higher appraisals.)

Bottom line: contact your school board members, city council members, etc. if you don't want your tax bill to go up. Criticizing the Appraisal District is a pointless effort; their process of valuing property is mandated by the state.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:46 PM

The 2007 appraised value for our property is virtually exactly what we paid for it one year ago. Aside from a few upgrades I doubt we would get much more for it if we put it on the market today.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:56 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,623,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
We just got ours as well, it went up 9.24% and our tax went down about the same. The mandated school tax rate reduction helps, but I still think property taxes in TX are too high all together. Our appraised property value as jumped 20% in the past 5 years, (Villages of Westcreek.)
You must live in the "ritzy" part of WC. Mine went up about 6 3/4%. Interesting that the house value went down a little bit, but the land value went up to cover almost the whole increase. Same here on the 20% increase over the last 5 years (about 2/3 of that during the last two years). My "estimated" taxes went down $179. Of course, tax rates have not been set yet, so that will probably be gone.

BTW, I thought by law, property values could not go up more than 10% a year.

Old 04-20-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You must live in the "ritzy" part of WC. Mine went up about 6 3/4%. Interesting that the house value went down a little bit, but the land value went up to cover almost the whole increase. Same here on the 20% increase over the last 5 years (about 2/3 of that during the last two years). My "estimated" taxes went down $179. Of course, tax rates have not been set yet, so that will probably be gone.

BTW, I thought by law, property values could not go up more than 10% a year.
What is considered the "ritzy" part? We live in The Oaks and I would not consider our home special in a community where every 3rd house looks the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio