Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:12 AM

181 posts, read 611,225 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experiences with classes through Victory? We're looking to enroll our four year old. We toured the facility today and it seemed good, but before we make our 12-36 month commitment I'd love any reviews. They're asking $200-$250 /month for two 30 minute classes each week.

We looked at the center on Bandera.

Thanks!

Last edited by FamilyTexas; 07-18-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 04:50 AM

214 posts, read 501,658 times
Colby loves Victory. They are very friendly, and do a good job of teaching the kids values and discipline. There's also several advanced programs the kids can get into (leadership, etc), and they like to involve the parents in a fun way. I actually won two free weeks of class at their recent dad's day event. They had me break one of their boards. Three tries got me the two weeks. The other dad who was there pulled it off in two. Dang it!

Anyway, the money is about right considering they do spend some good one on one time with the kids during the class. The workouts they run them through are great. When I did it I really enjoyed it, and I know Colby does because he chooses to go there over going to the movies, playing Wii, etc. so you know he's having fun.

Big thumbs up.

Old 07-19-2009, 10:05 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,287,967 times
My stepdaughter took a summer camp at the NW Military location and she really got a lot out of it. The instructor is very nice and approachable. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences! We were impressed with how well they interacted with him, had him look them in the eye, etc. Our experience was just the quick trial so we'll go to real classes this week and see how many kids are involved, all of that.

Reallybigshoe, can I ask about the program you had your little one in? We signed our son up for the Master's Club which is 30 minutes twice a week, they also touched on the Leadership Club/Team which was an additional 45 minutes once a week and I think an extra $50./month. We didn't get lots of details, I was wondering if you knew more about it?

Our son just turned four and we weren't sure if Leadership is something that he'd enjoy right now as well? We figured we'd start with Master's and then add Leadership but I wondered if it was geared towards little ones? I like the idea that they're talking, etc. and the student/teacher numbers are so low it sounds really great. Just wondered your opinion. We'll probably need to ask them for a better explanation.

Thanks again for the reviews, it's great to hear your experiences!

Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 PM

MY SD was four when she started Leadership training. She did very well, no issues whatsoever. (I have to admit its quite expensive, but was worth every penny as it did wonders for her self esteem and confidence) If I lived in the area still, I would love to take my son. I havent found any other program or instructor with the same level of professionalism, care, and training as we experienced at Victory.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:26 PM

Thank you very, very much. It sounds like a great program. I'm excited for him to get started this week.

Can anyone explain the leadership training? Is it a one-on-one class where they just talk or do they learn new moves, etc. as well? It sounded like it was more talking/learning about values, etc. Is it a class setting or just something they do separate with each child?

Thanks again for the great advice, reviews, experiences.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 PM

SDs Leadership was a lot of instruction on building self esteem, values, morals, plus physical training and it was in a large group of all ages (adults included) but from time to time the instructor would break the kids up for more smaller instruction with other instructors. This was back in 04 so I am unsure if they have changed the format. Definitely call them to confirm because it used to be you actually had to be "chosen" for Leadership which might sound silly when it comes to little kids, but there were in fact kids who weren't "ready" for the extra training and instruction. I know they also did private training as well, if that is something you are interested in.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 AM

214 posts, read 501,658 times
The leadership is currently divided into the kids and adults (at least I've never seen an adult during Colby's leadership classes). The kids actually lead the each other in workouts and training for the classes. They must pick what activity to do, how much of it, and demonstrate how to do it properly. The teacher steps back and has the student take initiative, but it there to correct the student and ensure everything is done by the book. Colby responded by being shy and nervous, standing up front like that at first - but we did the recommended homework with him and he is now able to lead the others fairly sure of himself.

The homework is another note to touch on - the kids attending leadership will be expected to do stuff in their own time. I'm not sure how much this applies to the regular students, but it certainly does with the leadership group.

There are several kids younger than Colby (7) in the class. I wouldn't say a 4 year would be too young, but I would let them do regular class for a bit because they will be expected to have some knowledge of the workouts and techniques to do leadership. Also - it might be easier to take on the expense of the additional classes once they have already purchased their gear - which isn't cheap.

This post has made me excited about going in for my free lessons. + Rep for that.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the great explanations!

Okay final question (I hope), how much is gear? They mentioned needing it but said they'd discuss costs later. We didn't really push the issue for now, but I'm getting curious from what I've read online. They said next month they'll have a special so it will be a bit less, but how much would you estimate? Also, do they last for awhile or will they be outgrown pretty quickly?

Any other costs that might come up?

Thanks again for the great help. Enjoy your class! My husband would love something like that as well (and after watching, I think I'd enjoy it also!)

Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM

116 posts, read 352,738 times
My son attended the one in Bandera. He did quite well but we had to pull him out for medical reasons.

As for cost of gear, if you did officially sign your child up they should've given you a list with gear and prices. You have to get all the pads (foot, hand, head, chest), weapons, and their gear bag. It's not cheap at all so budget for it as needed. Get what you can when you can but it's hard to do wome things without them!

Also, they do graduations every couple of months and you pay for those as well.

Again, they do offer specials so if you can take advantage!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio