U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 01:09 PM

52 posts, read 173,709 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in the 1604 and Potranco Rd area and drive to Randolph?

If so:
What roads do you take to get there?
About how long does it take you in the morning and afternoon?
What about when school starts again?

I checked google maps and it says the fastest way to go is follow 1604 all the way around… I have to drive up 1604 just past 151 and Culebra to drop the kids off anyways but was under the impression 1604 was such a nightmare that I might be better going back down to HWY 90… any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:38 PM

184 posts, read 409,513 times
Maybe 151 to 90 East and take the back way to Randolph.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,159,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdodd View Post
Maybe 151 to 90 East and take the back way to Randolph.
Yep, that's what I'd do; but Lackland to Randolph can be a 45-minute drive during non-rush hour, and it is not a trip I would want to make on a regular basis. I would not live on the west/NW side of town if I had to work on Randolph!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:16 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,344,094 times
brings up a good point. Is the OP already living on the NW side and taking a job at Randolph? or moving to SA and living on one side of town and working on the other for some reason. No matter what, that is an awful situation to be in and if you can avoid it, I would for sure. There's no way I would want to spend probably at least two hours of every day driving these roads with these drivers. I can barely take the 30 minutes I spend with them and I'm working very odd late night hours.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
brings up a good point. Is the OP already living on the NW side and taking a job at Randolph? or moving to SA and living on one side of town and working on the other for some reason. No matter what, that is an awful situation to be in and if you can avoid it, I would for sure. There's no way I would want to spend probably at least two hours of every day driving these roads with these drivers. I can barely take the 30 minutes I spend with them and I'm working very odd late night hours.
I already live here (on the NW) but am considering taking a GS position at Randolph... I'm a contractor on the Hill now (I think you and M3 are too from what I read?) and really want to make the switch over... but I'm on the fence about the drive and dealing with all that traffic... especially after school starts again...

I don't think it would be worth it even if I try to move back after a year...and from the lack of activity this thread has garnished it looks like I would be one of the few (if not only) people in SA insane enough to try...

Contracting has been good to me so far... I think I'll hold out a little longer.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:31 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,344,094 times
have you looked at some of the other positions? I know the 33rd IOS is hiring several GS's and one of the guys I work with got one. The only problem with them is the pay cut that usually is involved.
you also need to add up the extra money for gas and wear and tear on the vehicle, especially if gas rockets up again. You also need to be VERY mellow to handle that drive. I work with some that drive from around there to Lackland and it doesn't sound like much fun at all.. it would be nice to have a stable govie position, though

BTW, there are quite a few of us here that work over there

Old 07-22-2009, 01:25 AM

40 posts, read 143,316 times
Well I travel from 1604/Potranco to 1604/Bulverde several times a week and I'd just like to gouge my eyes out at the end of that drive...and I can't even imagine what 10 extra miles would do to me...

Old 07-22-2009, 06:08 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,159,872 times
Yep, on the Hell....errr....Hill as well!

With the coming of 24AF/CyberCommand and NSA Texas' move to the new facility, wouldn't it be worth waiting another year or two for those opportunities rather than spending that same amount of time driving to Randolph every day?

Even with my new Toyota I wouldn't want to do that, and I live up near Helotes. That drive would drive me nuts within a few weeks, and God knows we have enough crazies on the road already!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-22-2009, 08:16 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,379,010 times
I would not want to do it in a million years, but if I had to, I'd definitely take Hwy 90 across rather than 1604 all the way around. The "back" part on 1604 is little more than a country road, but as no one uses it, it's pretty smooth sailing (at least it has been on the times I've been on it - trips between Brooks and Randolph on occasion)

Old 07-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
have you looked at some of the other positions? I know the 33rd IOS is hiring several GS's and one of the guys I work with got one. The only problem with them is the pay cut that usually is involved.
you also need to add up the extra money for gas and wear and tear on the vehicle, especially if gas rockets up again. You also need to be VERY mellow to handle that drive. I work with some that drive from around there to Lackland and it doesn't sound like much fun at all.. it would be nice to have a stable govie position, though

BTW, there are quite a few of us here that work over there
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yep, on the Hell....errr....Hill as well!

With the coming of 24AF/CyberCommand and NSA Texas' move to the new facility, wouldn't it be worth waiting another year or two for those opportunities rather than spending that same amount of time driving to Randolph every day?

Even with my new Toyota I wouldn't want to do that, and I live up near Helotes. That drive would drive me nuts within a few weeks, and God knows we have enough crazies on the road already!

Cheers! M2

Thanks for the input guys! I did the 33rd once... the schedule and the pay cut are my biggest hang-ups there. I did enjoy the old Panama schedule but alas... they don't even have that anymore.

Looks like I'll be waiting in the wings like the 10K+ others for Cyber CC and NSA to open thier doors...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio