U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 05:24 PM

389 posts, read 641,328 times

Advertisements

2+2 program Alamo Community College~~It's never too late folks I posted this at the State forums was hoping they would move it overhere, just some info for new people and long time students in the area......

Hi I just wanted to share some stuff with you guys especially the ones who are in and out of jobs, never finished college, or just looking for a start in education.

I can only speak for San Antonio but I'm sure most large cities like Houston and Dallas have similar programs.

I was watching TV yesterday here in SA and there was a commercial about the Alamo Community College System and it's many benefits to starting off at a University or Private College.

The ACC System has a great program that many people do not know about heck some don't even know it exists, it's called a 2+2. You basically do your first 2 years of college at one of their community colleges and the other two at a University like University of Texas at San Antonio or Incarnate Word if you chose.

The savings are monumental. I was looking over one of my pupils papers for his semester at (enter expensive private college here) and I see no reason why college algebra I should cost 500 dollars per semester hour.

For those of you who live in San Antonio there is a school called San Antonio College down on San Pedro which is an excellent school system with low prices for education. A counselor can set you up with a 2+2 that when your done with your first 2 years at SAC will transfer you over to a University that will honor 100% of your courses taken at SAC.

I went to SAC on a 2+2 program graduated from UTSA in 2002 and I am doing great.

I'm sure the list of Universities that are joined with the Alamo Colleges has grown in the last 8 years.

Here is some more information on Finances.

If you are a reservist or in IRR or out of the military and considering coming back in.

The US Army Reserves is offering full 100% tuition pay for a bachelors, masters, and even a PHD as long as your still in the reserves ( please don't ask about Private Colleges the answer is NO)

on top of the 100% tuition pay they also offer the GI Bill Reserve which can be paid every month as cash to help with the bills ETC and you still get the 100% tuition paid in other words double dipping is possible.

For those not in the Army Reserves or other affiliation there is the Hope Fund which gives you money through your income tax only for freshman and sophmores i believe but it could of changed by now.

So, if you have contemplated going back to school give those community colleges a chance you won't be disappointed.

Some colleges you don't even need an ACT score all you need is to pass the TASP test which isn't too hard if you study for it.

Good Luck everyone, if anybody needs help or some quick counseling drop me a PM glad to help.

btw I believe a full semester costs around 700 or a little less

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:02 PM

217 posts, read 1,627,709 times
What about miltary wives of Reserve or Active Duty. My hubby is going back in.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:52 PM

11,941 posts, read 12,828,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
2+2 program Alamo Community College~~It's never too late folks I posted this at the State forums was hoping they would move it overhere, just some info for new people and long time students in the area......

Hi I just wanted to share some stuff with you guys especially the ones who are in and out of jobs, never finished college, or just looking for a start in education.

I can only speak for San Antonio but I'm sure most large cities like Houston and Dallas have similar programs.

I was watching TV yesterday here in SA and there was a commercial about the Alamo Community College System and it's many benefits to starting off at a University or Private College.

The ACC System has a great program that many people do not know about heck some don't even know it exists, it's called a 2+2. You basically do your first 2 years of college at one of their community colleges and the other two at a University like University of Texas at San Antonio or Incarnate Word if you chose.

The savings are monumental. I was looking over one of my pupils papers for his semester at (enter expensive private college here) and I see no reason why college algebra I should cost 500 dollars per semester hour.

For those of you who live in San Antonio there is a school called San Antonio College down on San Pedro which is an excellent school system with low prices for education. A counselor can set you up with a 2+2 that when your done with your first 2 years at SAC will transfer you over to a University that will honor 100% of your courses taken at SAC.

I went to SAC on a 2+2 program graduated from UTSA in 2002 and I am doing great.

I'm sure the list of Universities that are joined with the Alamo Colleges has grown in the last 8 years.

If you are a reservist or in IRR or out of the military and considering coming back in.

The US Army Reserves is offering full 100% tuition pay for a bachelors, masters, and even a PHD as long as your still in the reserves ( please don't ask about Private Colleges the answer is NO)

on top of the 100% tuition pay they also offer the GI Bill Reserve which can be paid every month as cash to help with the bills ETC and you still get the 100% tuition paid in other words double dipping is possible.

For those not in the Army Reserves or other affiliation there is the Hope Fund which gives you money through your income tax only for freshman and sophmores i believe but it could of changed by now.

So, if you have contemplated going back to school give those community colleges a chance you won't be disappointed.

Some colleges you don't even need an ACT score all you need is to pass the TASP test which isn't too hard if you study for it.

Good Luck everyone, if anybody needs help or some quick counseling drop me a PM glad to help.

Mark
Thanks for posting! My daughter is doing this with NWV & UTSA.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,440,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
What about miltary wives of Reserve or Active Duty. My hubby is going back in.
The DoD has a program called MyCAA (my career advancement account). Go to military onesource to get specifics. You could be eligible for $6000 to be used toward education.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:58 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,015,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post

Mark
I do plan to finish college, but then that means that I have to "grow up" but.... I might finish what I started and then go the extra mile, but I'll wait till the weather gets cooler though.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:13 PM

338 posts, read 1,130,815 times
Any one ever need info on attending Northwest Vista, I am an academic counselor there. any questions, just DM me.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:25 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,903,511 times
My daughter goes to NWV and is doing a two plus two. I belive Palo Alto groups with Texas A&M System Center San Antonio which is new and inexpensive.

NWV has some wonderful professors and staff! They truly care about your future.

I had many issues with financial aid in the accd.edu area so I am not very happy with them there. You are never really advised and have to go it alone.

Good luck I think this is a great post.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:47 AM

13 posts, read 64,354 times
Hi. I am a San Antonio resident who is considering getting a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering. Right now I have a Cert. in Electrical Engineering from Weatherford College in Weatherford, TX and an AS in Architectural Drafting from College of the Canyons in Valencia, CA. Now that I live in San Antonio I'm trying to decide which school/schools I should attend. Being a father of two I am definitely on a tight budget and the 2+2 program sounds GREAT. But I was just wondering if any of you had any advice as to which school/schools would be best for my plans. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio